David Pogue on netiquette.

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:46 pm
What I meant was that by saying that his thread is meaningless and should be removed was a disrespect to Bob. If someone said that about a thread you created, you'd probably be pissed.

Just hope this goes away and Bob is allowed to continue his thread (which doesn't have to be read anyway if you don't want to)

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:03 pm
migya wrote:What I meant was that by saying that his thread is meaningless and should be removed was a disrespect to Bob. If someone said that about a thread you created, you'd probably be pissed.

Just hope this goes away and Bob is allowed to continue his thread (which doesn't have to be read anyway if you don't want to)

The difference is that thirty-two isn't a spammer.
ImageImage
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:47 am
#32 wrote:Pest and I disagree on pretty much everything. If he can agree that my approach towards Bob was cordial, normal, and as non-offensive as it can be, than I have a hard time believing I did something wrong.

One of the most interesting things to me is that "apparently" ... neither of
you and/or others seems to understand that when you express an opinion different than mine ... I might object ... HELLO? You don't even consider it "disrespectful." And you're not about to listen to me about it.

"This thread is over." Is/was clearly your opinion.
Your opinion is that my "resurrecting" the thread is spam.

I disagree. It's not over for me. To me it's not spam.
To me, it's apparent there's a great deal to learn from the subject, based on what clearly has "not" been learned.

HELLO

You apparently don't want to change your opinion.
I KNOW I have NO DESIRE to change mine.
What I'm trying to establish with the thread about free throws has totally escaped you in terms of "EVER" agreeing with it.
You MISS IT over and over and over. And that is my Point.

So ... ???
That's the way it is.
I would LOVE to repeat each and every important point that there is to be learned by this conversation about free throws ... in the hopes that you would GET IT.

YOU don't think there is ANY POINT.

"The continued support you give this thread is not unlike George W. Bush's support of the War in Iraq"

Hello? When did you disrespect BOB?
Shoot Hoops Not Troops SoCô¿ôL Bob?
Hello? Was there a reason for you making this comment?
Were you actually meaning there is a comparison?
There are 140,000 US troops in Iraq. As compared to how many shooting underhand free throws?

Your continued support of the notion that people should continue
shooting their free throws overhand and not even "try" to shoot them underhand is ... "not unlike George W. Bush's support of the war in Iraq." To people who "believe" in it.

You are both supporting a demonstrably failing activity :banghead:

70 Percent is NOT GOOD ENOUGH

More and more and more people continue missing their free throws ..
and you find it boring, beating a dead horse, to suggest an opinion expressing what that opinion believes is a more basic truth ...

Reading your most recent post, I would be more inclined to ASK
How many times in that post did you "disrespect" Bob? Bob's Opinion?

It would appear that you are NEVER going to change this statement ...
It is time to let this thread die.

INTO my preferred statement.
It's time people stopped thinking the way they think now and started
MAKING THEIR FREE THROWS.

It's time folks who call themselves Christians and Believers in God started making peace in Iraq and many other places.

You continually express YOUR OPINION on this subject as though it is the ONLY POSSIBLY ACCEPTABLE OPINION. It would appear that absolutely NOTHING that I might have to say would help cause you to CHANGE YOUR OPINION.

You constantly attempt to justify your opinion and continually FAIL TO RECOGNIZE that YOUR OPINION TOTALLY DENIES MINE. It's it's anti-thesis.

Do you understand?
I THINK MY OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT IS BETTER ... WAY MORE
CORRECT THAN YOURS ? And it certainly doesn't seem to matter that you and/or others disagree. It's a part of what makes the opinion so fascinating and so interesting ... to me.

The truth is .. the real reason I enjoy and apologize for picking on #32
is a lot easier to describe ... without malice .. The reason is contained in this statement from another thread ...

#32 wrote:I'm a Christian, too...

When I view your postings ... I don't notice what I would consider Christian actions. Christian words. Christian behaviors. It isn't up to me to judge, you understand, but I don't think Christ would be criticizing my opinion on underhand free throws. I don't think he would be possessed with the desire to "kill" my favorite thread. There is no sin in shooting the shot this way ... or encouraging others to consider it. Sin no more and follow me. I can heal the sick. I can walk on water. I can raise the dead.
Greater things than He does shall You do.

It is far more important to me to continue to practice a very good way of shooting free throws as good as I can, all the time thinking that whatever is to be is to be including that eventually ... some day ... some folks "like" you ... maybe even you ... will understand the wisdom contained in the underhand free throw ... and actually CHANGE YOUR OPINION. What a concept ô¿~

I will continue to believe that it is very unlikely to happen if you don't
stop criticizing and disclaiming that your criticism isn't disrespectful ..
and instead start shooting the shot.

Your brain is stuck on all the things it's stuck on.
My brain is stuck on making this shot. 100 Percent of the time.

Just once I would love to have an intelligent conversation with someone
who tried the shot for long enough to disclaim that it obviously works ..
VERY WELL. But, butt, but ..... doesn't cut it for me.

Sorry.

I know you apparently can't see that now ... BUT ... that doesn't eliminate
it from the possibilities. The notion that I am somehow going to become unconvinced that making free throws this way isn't INCREDIBLY VALUABLE is equally "presposterous." For me .. the ball keeps going IN.
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pk31xFbckhQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="340" height="350"></embed>
Biedrins shooting 58 percent, the way he shoots it now, is a miracle.
Me ... shooting 86 percent ... is expected. It's explainable.

I'm am so SORRY that YOU are so negative about the conversation about underhand free throws. I am so sorry that it so violates your opinion you need to think it needs to die.

I'm so sorry... but I'm not going to agree to your killing "me."

It doesn't change the reality for me.
It is still ... in my opinion .. the ABSOLUTELY EASIEST SKILL FOR A HUMAN TO PERFECT I've ever discovered in all my years of successful sports ...
and I shall ALWAYS remain fascinated at the current miracle that ALMOST NOBODY GETS IT ... I will remain fascinated that so many think even talking about it is beating a dead horse ... etc. ... when day after day after day after day ... for two years and a lot longer ... people keep missing their free throws.

MAKE MORE FREE THROWS
ANY WAY YOU WANT
AND WATCH ME APPLAUD !!!

According to Steven K Scott, author of The Richest Man Who Ever Lived and Mentored By A Millionaire, the extra skill applied by the Super Achiever, not applied by even the above average achiever is a thing called ... diligence. A word which means a perservering application, something above and beyond even the more reconized persistance. Super achievers set goals even they don't know how they could possibly achieve. Super achievers "like" setting goals that when achieved might be perceived by themselves and others as "miracles." "To Dream The Impossible Dream" ...

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Which one are you? Jonathan or the leader of the flock?
Which one do you want to be?
What are you going to do about it?
Think on these things.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIoqskemso8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="340" height="280"></embed>

Why would something "seemingly" as simple as helping others to achieve 80 to 90 percent free throws even need to be considered as "miraculous?"
What do I know?

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Where the mind goes the body follows.

Stand
Grip
Lift {Point A To Point B}Image
Follow Through
SWISH !!!

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:15 pm
Bob, I just finished reading your entire, monstrous post above... and all it's done is reaffirm my faith. My faith in God, you ask? Nope, that's always been solid. It's simply proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are, and always have been, a spin doctor.

Kill you?
"Christ wouldn't criticize my post"?
MY brain is stuck on something??? (coming, of course, from the free throw fetished nympho).

You've got some serious issues, Bob... and whether or not you're willing to admit it, they go way beyond "making" or "missing" free throws. I honestly wonder what could prompt a guy to be so incredibly terrified of failure? Most people realize that without failure, improvement can never be made. Failing is part of life. Most people, from Michael Jordan to myself, understand that. But what worries me about you is that you're absolutely terrified of failing. And, usually, one isn't tramatized of something until they experience the very worst of it.

Bob is horrified of "quitting" and "failing"... so what can we all assume has happened to SoCoolBob in his life...? What horrific event could have scarred SoCoolBob to the point of being consumed with the nightmare of failure?

My prayers go out to you, Bob. Because, at the moment, you need them more than anyone else I know. God save you, Bob. I hope you end up finding what you're looking for in your thousand-plus posts (almost PURELY on free throws).

Take care,

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Ever consider reading your posts ...

as if they were written To YOURSELF?

#32 wrote:middle-aged, computer illiterate men are often the ones who get the testiest online. The younger generation is much more used to letting rude or angry type roll off their shoulders.

Most people realize that without failure, improvement can never be made. Failing is part of life. Most people, from Michael Jordan to myself, understand that.

Wow !!!

And O.J. Simpson ô¿~

I reckon this means that you consider this last post of yo'ers is a failure? an improvement?

I reckon I should probably apologize now ... but ... pushing yo'er buttons is almost as easy {and occasionally as much fun} as shooting under hand free throws.

At least I got you praying for me ... and that's a good thing.

So, it was the four shots that I missed that you learned the most from?
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pk31xFbckhQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="340" height="350"></embed>
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:32 am
is it just me or is there some substantial irony in 32 and socool mixing it up in a thread on netiquette? :wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:39 am
coltraning wrote:is it just me or is there some substantial irony in 32 and socool mixing it up in a thread on netiquette? :wink:

TMC wrote:And to think this has evolved from a thread on etiquette... :mrgreen:

#32 wrote:Most people realize that without failure, improvement can never be made.

SoCô¿ôL Bob wrote:Nothing Succeeds Like ... Failure :mrgreen:

Mike Dunleavy wrote:Go Warriors !!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:03 am
SoCooLBob wrote:
#32 wrote:middle-aged, computer illiterate men are often the ones who get the testiest online. The younger generation is much more used to letting rude or angry type roll off their shoulders.

Most people realize that without failure, improvement can never be made. Failing is part of life. Most people, from Michael Jordan to myself, understand that.

Wow !!!

And O.J. Simpson ô¿~

I reckon this means that you consider this last post of yo'ers is a failure? an improvement?

:mrgreen:

Bob definately hit the nail on the head on that one!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:16 am
#32 wrote:Bob, I just finished reading your entire, monstrous post above... and all it's done is reaffirm my faith. My faith in God, you ask? Nope, that's always been solid. It's simply proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are, and always have been, a spin doctor.

Kill you?
"Christ wouldn't criticize my post"?
MY brain is stuck on something??? (coming, of course, from the free throw fetished nympho).

You've got some serious issues, Bob... and whether or not you're willing to admit it, they go way beyond "making" or "missing" free throws. I honestly wonder what could prompt a guy to be so incredibly terrified of failure? Most people realize that without failure, improvement can never be made. Failing is part of life. Most people, from Michael Jordan to myself, understand that. But what worries me about you is that you're absolutely terrified of failing. And, usually, one isn't tramatized of something until they experience the very worst of it.

Bob is horrified of "quitting" and "failing"... so what can we all assume has happened to SoCoolBob in his life...? What horrific event could have scarred SoCoolBob to the point of being consumed with the nightmare of failure?

My prayers go out to you, Bob. Because, at the moment, you need them more than anyone else I know. God save you, Bob. I hope you end up finding what you're looking for in your thousand-plus posts (almost PURELY on free throws).

Take care,

Hit the nail on the head like you always do with bob
ImageImage
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:18 am
Careful Pest ... Yo've been becoming famous for occasionally demonstrating a certain amount of "wisdom." Consider ... Failure may not be an improvement. :roll:
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 am
SoCooLBob wrote:Careful now Pest ... Yo've been becoming more famous for demonstrating a certain amount of "wisdom." Consider carefully. Failure may not be an improvement. :roll:

I'll get back to you once I find a translator who speaks aramaic and can decipher your code. :roll:
ImageImage
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:26 am
Yep ... Mike Dunleavy ... That was an "improvement." :mrgreen:

Question? Is this a "league game" or are ya'll just practicing?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:33 am
"He's speaking in toungues, somebody get the smelling salts?"

"We have no smelling salts"

"get rick barry's jock strap, that should work"
ImageImage
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:38 am
Oh Well ... {tongues}

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:06 am
That's a big set! :mrgreen:

Again, if you don't want to read Bob's thread, don't! This is starting to become baggering and abuse and that is not accepted

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum