I didn't know this about Ike.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:19 am
I found this at the end of one the SF Chronicles articles on the Warriors. I hope Nellie was just interviewed when he was mad and that this isn't the reason he's shy on playing Ike. I thnk the world of Ike and I hope it's temporary.

Quote"

Nelson lit into forward Ike Diogu during a fourth-quarter timeout after catching an exchange between Diogu and Dunleavy following a basket by Kapono. "He needs to step up and have the onus on him when he makes a mistake and not blame everybody all the time," Nelson said. "He's a blamer and I just had enough of it, so he's going to have to grow up and stop that." Diogu said there had been a defensive miscommunication on the play. "(Coach) thought that we were arguing, so he basically said that's unacceptable with teammates."
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:40 am
jsw548 wrote:I found this at the end of one the SF Chronicles articles on the Warriors. I hope Nellie was just interviewed when he was mad and that this isn't the reason he's shy on playing Ike. I thnk the world of Ike and I hope it's temporary.

Quote"

Nelson lit into forward Ike Diogu during a fourth-quarter timeout after catching an exchange between Diogu and Dunleavy following a basket by Kapono. "He needs to step up and have the onus on him when he makes a mistake and not blame everybody all the time," Nelson said. "He's a blamer and I just had enough of it, so he's going to have to grow up and stop that." Diogu said there had been a defensive miscommunication on the play. "(Coach) thought that we were arguing, so he basically said that's unacceptable with teammates."

I have never heard Ike say a bad word publicly, or seen him bitching out a teammate on the court, I have seen Dungleavy do both, repeatedly. The conflict was between those 2 and Nelson favors Dung. I have no doubt there was an argument between Dung and Ike, but based on what I have seen repeatedly, I am guessing Dung was bitching out Ike and Ike stood up for himself. If anyone is a "blamer" on this team it is Dung. I think it is part of Nelson's tough guy old school trip. It's not like he hasn't mixed it up with a number of players over the years. Ewing, Webber just a couple that come to mind. Maybe Ike is always blaming and bitching, we don't know what goes on in the locker room, but we do know that Dung has bitched very publicly so in this case, the benefit of the doubt is with Ike, in my mind. It is clear that Nelson has a huge hard on for Ike.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:44 am
It takes some time to get used to play together, and Ike has played so few minutes that he's probably having problems adjusting to his role on defense. But he has to man up and admit his own mistakes.

IF it was his fault. I'd like to know what play was the reason for the exchange...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:52 am
TMC wrote:It takes some time to get used to play together, and Ike has played so few minutes that he's probably having problems adjusting to his role on defense. But he has to man up and admit his own mistakes.

IF it was his fault. I'd like to know what play was the reason for the exchange...

I heard it on the radio. It was towards the end of the Miami game, there was a screen and roll, Dung got screened, Ike didn't pick up his man and the guy hit an open jumper. According to Tim Roye, Nelson went ballistic and got in Ike's face after Dung got in Ike's face. I didn't see it but am sure Ike missed the assignment. Let's face it, he's not a good defensive player for sure. However, having watched Dung repeatedly slow to react and continually blown by on drives to the basket, I am not sure he is the one who should be bitching Ike out. Again, IF Ike is what Nelson says, a blamer, that's not cool. But it is also completely uncool to call out your players in public, which is what Nelson does a lot. That Larry Brown head trip public shaming sh*t gets players playing with fear, instead of enthusiasm. I don't blame Ike for being tentative out there - he is on the shortest leash of any player on that team, now that Adonal is out of the dog house.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:07 pm
coltraning wrote:But it is also completely uncool to call out your players in public, which is what Nelson does a lot. That Larry Brown head trip public shaming sh*t gets players playing with fear, instead of enthusiasm. I don't blame Ike for being tentative out there - he is on the shortest leash of any player on that team, now that Adonal is out of the dog house.

Yep. I don't like that approach. It may work and motivate the player... but it may also backfire and destroy his confidence. And being a rookie (in Ike's case, almost a rookie), that second option seems the most likely.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 pm
While I am not a big Nelson or Mullin fan, I have to defer to the coach on this one. If a player misses an assignment, he has to be held accountable. Riley, Popovich, Brown all held their players accountable on the defensive end and they all have won NBA championships.

Ike, one of my favorite players on this Warrior team, may not be a good fit with Nelson's coaching style. If this is the case, Mullin may need to move him while he has value.

Hopefully, the Miami incident was just an opportunity for Ike's personal growth and development.

Let's face it, Ike is an undersized power forward who gets paid less than Dunleavy and Murphy and will never get the front office support of the later two.

With Biedrens continued development at center, the team may have decided that it does not need another low block front court player and can win with Murphy and Dunleavy. We may disagree with this analysis; however, we did not pull the trigger and sign the later two the big contracts.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 pm
I told you guys a long time ago, Nelly doesn't like Ike. He is not Nelly's kind of player. Nelly doesn't really like Dunleavy, either. Neither player fits Nelly mode but for different reasons. Ike is not big enough or fast enough. Dunleavy is not tough enough and can't shoot very well. I think Nelly would like to get rid of both. Look for Nelly to try to move Diogu while he has some value. We know Mike isn't going anywhere because of that ridiculous contract.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 pm
I told you guys a long time ago, Nelly doesn't like Ike. He is not Nelly's kind of player. Nelly doesn't really like Dunleavy, either. Neither player fits Nelly mode but for different reasons. Ike is not big enough or fast enough. Dunleavy is not tough enough and can't shoot very well. I think Nelly would like to get rid of both. Look for Nelly to try to move Diogu while he has some value. We know Mike isn't going anywhere because of that ridiculous contract.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Hopefully this doesn't turn into the 2006-2007 version of the Nelson/Webber fued. That's the last thing the Warriors need. Something to kill the chemistry that has progressed quite well
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:39 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Hopefully this doesn't turn into the 2006-2007 version of the Nelson/Webber fued. That's the last thing the Warriors need. Something to kill the chemistry.

It won't, because although Ike is great, he is not a cornerstone player on the Warriors (although he may be some day). Webber was.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:41 am
John Patrick wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Hopefully this doesn't turn into the 2006-2007 version of the Nelson/Webber fued. That's the last thing the Warriors need. Something to kill the chemistry.

It won't, because although Ike is great, he is not a cornerstone player on the Warriors (although he may be some day). Webber was.

True. The thing I like about Ike is that he just plays through calls. He doesn't complain. That's all players need to do, just play the damn game and let the coach roast on the refs. (i.e. 'Sheed)
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:43 am
Yeah, well it's kinda fun though to watch someone like Sheed to go off on the refs. What I hate is the whining (T. Duncan biggest example).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:53 am
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:It takes some time to get used to play together, and Ike has played so few minutes that he's probably having problems adjusting to his role on defense. But he has to man up and admit his own mistakes.

I heard it on the radio. It was towards the end of the Miami game, there was a screen and roll, Dung got screened, Ike didn't pick up his man and the guy hit an open jumper. According to Tim Roye, Nelson went ballistic and got in Ike's face after Dung got in Ike's face. I didn't see it but am sure Ike missed the assignment. Let's face it, he's not a good defensive player for sure. However, having watched Dung repeatedly slow to react and continually blown by on drives to the basket, I am not sure he is the one who should be bitching Ike out. Again, IF Ike is what Nelson says, a blamer, that's not cool. But it is also completely uncool to call out your players in public, which is what Nelson does a lot. That Larry Brown head trip public shaming sh*t gets players playing with fear, instead of enthusiasm. I don't blame Ike for being tentative out there - he is on the shortest leash of any player on that team, now that Adonal is out of the dog house.

You're right about that shiit on talking bad about a player publicily! Nelson has got to mature on that a bit and get in a player's face behind close doors first, then do it on the bench during a game maybe. That could be more effective and it certainly is more respectful!

If this incident happened, Diogu just has to move on and realise the sort of hot headed, sometimes disrespectful (with the calling players out publicily) coach he has right now! One thing to note, from the boxscores anyway, is that Diogu does get some shots in the minutes he plays so obviously Nelson sees the offensive ability that Diogu has

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:56 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:I told you guys a long time ago, Nelly doesn't like Ike. He is not Nelly's kind of player. Nelly doesn't really like Dunleavy, either. Neither player fits Nelly mode but for different reasons. Ike is not big enough or fast enough. Dunleavy is not tough enough and can't shoot very well. I think Nelly would like to get rid of both. Look for Nelly to try to move Diogu while he has some value. We know Mike isn't going anywhere because of that ridiculous contract.

You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:58 am
TMC wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:I told you guys a long time ago, Nelly doesn't like Ike. He is not Nelly's kind of player. Nelly doesn't really like Dunleavy, either. Neither player fits Nelly mode but for different reasons. Ike is not big enough or fast enough. Dunleavy is not tough enough and can't shoot very well. I think Nelly would like to get rid of both. Look for Nelly to try to move Diogu while he has some value. We know Mike isn't going anywhere because of that ridiculous contract.

You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...

Why does that worry you?

Bill Parcels said that if he is in charge of cooking the meal, he should be allowed to pick the groceries.

Nelson has a certain type of player at he likes, especially at the center and power forward positions (think Alton Lister, Uwe Blab, Les Jepson, Shawn Bradley, Kent Benson, Paul Mokeski), and Ike does not fit into that mold.

I would love to see Ike playing 30 minutes a night for this team. He, Ike, would be a nice compliment to Murphy when Murphy is playing center.

Let's also not overreact here. This is a long season. Players get injured. Players go into slumps. Ike just may get a whole lot of playing time with this Warrior team.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball