David Pogue on netiquette.

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:36 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:Nothing beats face to face, esp. with women.


Nothing?

Image




:mrgreen:

I didn't say nothing TIES face to face, but yeah, if I had to choose, face to face or some kind of head to head:wink:




You mean head to hips :mrgreen:
8)
eye contact is eye contact, ya know? 8)


And to think this has evolved from a thread on etiquette... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:29 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:Nothing beats face to face, esp. with women.


Nothing?

Image




:mrgreen:

I didn't say nothing TIES face to face, but yeah, if I had to choose, face to face or some kind of head to head:wink:




You mean head to hips :mrgreen:
8)
eye contact is eye contact, ya know? 8)



But there's no "I" in "snatch" :mrgreen:

true enough, but there is definitely a we in wet :headbang:



I nobley make passage for your literate greatness :D



:mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:50 am
Has this completely degenerated into another dick-and-snatch thread... or is it still saveable? :scratch:

I agree with Pest; middle-aged, computer illiterate men are often the ones who get the testiest online. I think it goes back to what I was talking about earlier; with the expression-less text. The younger generation (who, by this time, has grown up with AIM and email) is much more used to letting rude or angry type roll off their shoulders (knowing that the author probably isn't as serious as the misleading type might lead one to believe), whereas older gentlemen seem to have less patience.

Thats another problem with these faceless forums; there's no senority. 40 or 50 year old men wouldn't take kindly to being mouthed off by a 19-year-old in real life... why would it be any different in here? The problem is that most younger folks don't assume to have many older gents in the forum with them. Honestly, this sort of technology isn't as popular among the older generation, so its not completely ignorant to assume you're among a younger age group and speak accordingly. You speak a helluva lot different with a couple of your 20-year old buddies, as opposed to a few 20-year olds, a 30-something year old, and a few 40-year olds.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:40 pm
#32 wrote:Has this completely degenerated into another dick-and-snatch thread... or is it still saveable? :scratch:


What's your point! :mrgreen:


#32 wrote:Thats another problem with these faceless forums; there's no senority. 40 or 50 year old men wouldn't take kindly to being mouthed off by a 19-year-old in real life... why would it be any different in here?


Because forums just aren't like in real life. People have to understand that internet forums, as they are far more impersonal, can be used as emotional dumping grounds or as places to joke around, which sometimes can mean talking shiit to someone just to stir them up.

There has to be understanding. Yes it is essential to have respect but this is a place that is so impersonal that some people just use it as a place to run riot without meaning anything deep
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:57 pm
I dunno. I think there's an inherant respect that everyone deserves, as human beings. Catching anonymous **** from someone because they've had a tough day in their own, personal life doesn't seem right to me. Even though I create a ton of controversy, I always respect someone until they give me a reason not to.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:18 am
#32 wrote:I dunno. I think there's an inherant respect that everyone deserves, as human beings. Catching anonymous **** from someone because they've had a tough day in their own, personal life doesn't seem right to me. Even though I create a ton of controversy, I always respect someone until they give me a reason not to.


Yeah Right !!!

{Is he kidding or is he serious? Is "he" "32" or is "he" "SoCô¿ôL Bob"?}

Image

Merry Christmas Everybody ô¿~

ImageImageImage

:D I'm so well I think I shall live forever :D
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:44 am
SoCooLBob wrote:
#32 wrote:I dunno. I think there's an inherant respect that everyone deserves, as human beings. Catching anonymous **** from someone because they've had a tough day in their own, personal life doesn't seem right to me. Even though I create a ton of controversy, I always respect someone until they give me a reason not to.


Yeah Right !!!

{Is he kidding or is he serious? Is "he" "32" or is "he" "SoCô¿ôL Bob"?}

Image

Merry Christmas Everybody ô¿~

ImageImageImage

:D I'm so well I think I shall live forever :D




:mrgreen:

That's just the ways things are and you just can't get to overheated over something that happens online
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:50 am
Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:32 am
Unfortunately I must admit I have animosity towards migya for not man'n up and acknowledging that his use of that derogatory word is disrespectful and unjustifiable :!:

I would like peace & closure as I enjoy being a long standing member of this board and would rather not have a on going grudge but that is up to migya....
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:11 pm
#32 wrote:Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.


Reasons

Actions


SoCô¿ôL Bob most especially enjoys "contemplating" the "reasons" human beings give for their "behavior" .... and their "behavior."

To me, it is very close to one the most fascinating contemplations and discussions I occasionally have and enjoy.

Actions ... What are they? What is their importance? How do human beings go about determining the difference between Their Thoughts, Their Words, Their Actions? Which is more important? To Them? To Others?

Positive behavior is positive behavior. Positive results are positive results.

:D Hopefully :D


Reasons are explanations one give to themselves and others for their actions and often their results.

Personally, I prefer contemplating actions to determine what I would like my actions to be ... and ... the results I want to achieve by those actions. When I consider my best actions past and my hoped for actions future I prefer the resulting behavior ... and their results ... when I've contemplated them specifically and positively.

That is why ... in ANY CONVERSATION ... certainly on this board and in many other places ... My preference is toward the behavior in myself and others that produces the most positive actions ... and the most positive results.

I like it best ... when the ball goes IN :headbang:

I especially enjoy, and have enjoyed, the notion that it "appears" "to me" that their our "better" ways to think and behave. Their are ways that seem to produce more positive results and behaviors. And yet, it often "appears" that even thought these thoughts and principles "work" to produce "positive results" .... 90 percent or more of the human population will not think the same "way" ... as the 90 percenters.

Interestingly enough, it appears that it also true of a category described as "super achievers" ... The Top 1 % of the human population ... in terms of described behaviors and results ... think only "slightly" differently ... than the 99 percenters :shock:
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:27 pm
#32 wrote:Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.

I attest to that
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:03 pm
#32 wrote:Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.



What happened is that you attacked Bob's thread as being useless and that it should be removed. That was disrespectful to Bob and he got angry. Like you said #32, older people don't like being talked down to and that is what happened in this instance.

Both of you are good board members and quarrels happen. It is getting over them that is important
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:04 pm
O.G. broe wrote:Unfortunately I must admit I have animosity towards migya for not man'n up and acknowledging that his use of that derogatory word is disrespectful and unjustifiable :!:

I would like peace & closure as I enjoy being a long standing member of this board and would rather not have a on going grudge but that is up to migya....




I'm not going to get back into that conversation/argument.

Peace and respect to you broe. Keep up your support of the Golden State Warriors
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:27 pm
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.



What happened is that you attacked Bob's thread as being useless and that it should be removed. That was disrespectful to Bob and he got angry. Like you said #32, older people don't like being talked down to and that is what happened in this instance.

Both of you are good board members and quarrels happen. It is getting over them that is important

Go back and actually read what happened in the thread, migya. You jumped in midway and never saw the beginning of it.

Pest and I disagree on pretty much everything. If he can agree that my approach towards Bob was cordial, normal, and as non-offensive as it can be, than I have a hard time believing I did something wrong.

Once again, actually read the thread and you'll get it.

In fact, here (I'll make it real easy for you), check out how the whole thing started:

#32 wrote:Bob. Seriously.

I don't mean any disrespect to you at all. You're funny in all the other threads, a pretty regular poster, and I think you're a very goal-oriented person that we could all learn something from. By any stretch of the imagination, I like you as a poster and think you're an asset to the forum. That being said, I need to let you in on something:

This thread is over.

Seriously, the only people that ever post in it (besides you) are the newbies that have never seen it before... and even they ditch it after an initial post or two.

This is almost like a permanent post made by one of those spambots, being constantly updated with more porn sites... but hobbes won't delete it. It's a PG version of that.

This thread falls off EVERY time it's brought back to the top, but you keep bumping it up to be one of the newest headlines like a 7-year old screaming it into someones' ear long enough, with the hopes that they will finally start paying attention to it.

The continued support you give this thread is not unlike George W. Bush's support of the War in Iraq. Even when nobody else wants anything to do with this anymore, you keep shoving it down our throats as if (maybe this time) someone will respond or read it.

Your 24,000 views are nothing more than the average result ANYBODY would get by continually shoving their own, private thread in everyone's face for just under 2 years now.

It is time to let this thread die.

The continued use of this thread is not a display of tenacity and commitment; but rather the clinging to a thread that nobody wants to see anymore. And even if somehow, someone justified this thread as "commitment" in their head, that quality is overrided by being irritating to others.

In most forms of business, one person proposes something... and if that's seconded by another person, the motion is carried through. In this case, I count more than 2 people have expressed their desire for you to abandon this carcass of a thread (and that doesn't take into account the others who won't speak up about it). In all of this, the support you've gathered is a measley shrug from people like TMC, claiming, "if he wants to keep doing it, than whatever".

Nobody else has any interest in this thread anymore. It is time to let this thread die a peaceful, honest, noble death (with no 2-page comeback, complete with colorful GIF animations and images, that somehow seems to end up as a story about how the Warriors can improve their free-throws).

I understand that I'm coming off as the bad guy (as I often do on this forum), but I'm only reitterating what others (including myself) have already said. This post has gone from being a thread, to being old news, to being dead, to being just plain annoying.

SoCoolBob is a (pun-intended) "cool guy" around this forum. I dig you, Bob. You're alright. I got no gripe with you. My problem (like so many others) is with the thread.

Let this thread die, Bob. I'm trying to be your friend. It's time to let this pass.

"Who Really Cares About Free Throws?" by SoCoolBob should be inducted into the 'Post Hall of Fame'. :D But it needs to stop being a parody of what it once was. The ball's in your court, Bob. Do with it as you will.

Point out, in that context, where, exactly, I was rude and started a fight.

The truth is, Pest and I had the right idea in confronting Bob on his thread... but, after a period of time, the situation backfired when Bob gathered a pity support from regular posters who saw him carrying on after we made our intitial cases. Pity is what saved Bob's thread; it certainly wasn't reason.

But, once again, I have no interest in resurrecting my beef with Bob. It's over. It's done. I carry no ill will (which, obviously, isn't shared on the other side of the coin, because Bob has unrelatedly bashed me in several of his posts since I stopped arguing with him). But don't get it twisted and act like it was an outright attack. Bob brought the beef on himself. And anybody who read the thread knows that.
Last edited by 32 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:31 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:Like I said: I respect people until they give me a reason not to. Anybody who followed Bob's quarrell with me saw that I initially approached him in a cordial, normal fashion... and it got ugly when he didn't give me the same respect I gave him.



What happened is that you attacked Bob's thread as being useless and that it should be removed. That was disrespectful to Bob and he got angry. Like you said #32, older people don't like being talked down to and that is what happened in this instance.

Both of you are good board members and quarrels happen. It is getting over them that is important

Go back and actually read what happened in the thread, migya. You jumped in midway and never saw the beginning of it.

Pest and I disagree on pretty much everything. If he can agree that my approach towards Bob was cordial, normal, and as non-offensive as it can be, than I have a hard time believing I did something wrong.

Once again, actually read the thread and you'll get it.


I disagree :mrgreen:
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest