Game Thread: Warriors @ Orlando Magic 2006-12-22

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do the Warriors have enough to stop Howard and the Magic?

YES
75%
NO
25%

Total votes : 8

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:27 am
#32 wrote:Give the kid 2 seasons. By his 3rd, I'm betting he'll be a beast. Not a superstar, but at least as good as Biedrins.

By his third season, he'll be Pervis Ellison. NEVER NERVOUS!!!

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:15 am
I agree #32 and Bedrins is a perfect example how he has surprised a lot of people, I saw them both play in Vegas summer league with Ellie coaching, Bedrins was very impressive in the post and it was obvious he had worked hard and had improved which is what Pat. Big 'O' is doing behind the scene's right now :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:04 am
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:
Elemental wrote:Hey #32--in your signature, why is Patrick O'Bryant part of the future of the Warriors,while Biedrins is not?

:roll:

First of all, because I'm not sure we'll be able to resign Biedrins (ALL the Bay Area fans are creaming over Monta, so I'll bet the office will cave and give HIM the contract that Andris deserves).

Secondly, because I liked picking him up in the draft. I think he's a quick learner, a legit 7-footer who can block shots, plus his offensive game is already pretty decent.

I know many, MANY fans in the Bay don't think anything of him yet (even though most of them have never seen him play :roll:), but don't take my word for it: Don Nelson's been quoted saying Golden State's future rides on Patrick O'Bryant.

Give the kid 2 seasons. By his 3rd, I'm betting he'll be a beast. Not a superstar, but at least as good as Biedrins.

I'll make that bet, but how do I collect? I'm still waiting for my $100 from JSW :mrgreen:

If we're still talking on this forum in 3 years, I seriously doubt we'll remember this bet.

damn...ducking the bet already :mrgreen:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:00 pm
Call me on it. If we're still talking and I'm wrong, I'll come pin the check on your door. :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:48 pm
Great win!

This one must give the team confidence on the road becasue the Magic are top 3 in the East.

Baron was the star again and, not to be negative but just the truth, even when the man has huge games he doesn't shoot over 50%FG. He shot great from the foul line, 13 of 15, and that was a big reason things didn't fall apart in the 4th quarter.

JRich not 100%, Ellis not 100%, Murphy out, Diogu getting fukall minutes and the team still is at 50%! Got to be a great sign!

Credit to Foyle for playing big! He scored some, rebounded and blocked some shots! Nelson will respond to this positively

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:58 pm
This is the only time your going to hear me say this:Dunlyboy today was god with his cluch 3point shooting if he does this in every game he will earn my respect but till that happen hes still Dumblevy to me
This is the year
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:07 pm
O.K. - Baron has played 2 GREAT, all-star level games in a row - awesome...also, and it is hard to choke this out...Dung was excellent. Other than Nelson's repeated lack of love for Ike, I couldn't be happier about this game - maybe the best win of the year, certainly the most convincing road win.

ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:18 pm
Great win. Many would say it's nothing but this is the best team in the East. Foyle did a great job on Howard. He contained him and did his best bodying up on him. Dun was terrific off the bench. Yes, I said it, he was terrific. Wow, that was hard to swallow. Anyway, he was clutch near the end with a eye popping bank shot with the shot clock going down. Then hits the dagger a possession later. Baron played just like he has the past couple games. He's been an all star and leading this team. So no suprise here.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:00 pm
I'm so happy I decided to go to the bar and catch the 4th quarter of this one. A real nice win for the team. They played pretty darn good defense in the 4th, and that's what really did it for them. They actually got pretty lucky on the offensive side, with Dun's miracle three and a few Baron misses that were rebounded and put back (one by dun, two by Foyle).

I know I'm gonna get chewed out by someone for saying this, but Baron's decision making late in the game can still stand to improve a good amount. Today was a far cry from the 4th in New Jersey, not even comparable, actually, but I still see things from him late in the game that I'm not so happy about. When the Warriors start to run half-court sets late in close games, Baron has had a tendency to isolate himself at the top of the key for either a drive or a three as the shot clock winds down. When he drives, it is light years better than when he settles for a long shot. Toinght, he drove almost every time, which was why the team's and his results were so much better in the 4th. Now I know he's our star, and I always want the ball in his hands for the big shots, but if the Warriors are going to slow the game down in the 4th, as they have been recently, Baron needs to rotate the ball a little more and get others more involved. It becomes obvious what he's going to do, and teams pick up on it. Toinght, early in the foruth, he had three or four drives in a row where he either made the shot or got fouled. Then, later in the quarter, he continued what had been working, but misses a few in a row, as Dwight Howard and others are ready to help down low when he inevitably drives. On those misses, Foyle was key and really saved the Warriors, as he got a couple huge ofensive rebounds and put them back in.

Ok, having said that, I am very impressed with Baron the last 2 games, and most of the season, really. If it seems like I'm being nitpicky, I am. Having seen what Baron can do, especially this year (his best stint as a Warrior in my opinion) makes my expectations for him pretty high. I'm extremely happy with the results of his play, and if it were any other player, I'd have nothing negative to say at all. It's just that it's Baron here, and I think I'm not alone in knowing that if he really concentrated on the imminately correctable decision-making flaws in his game, in order to create more consistency, he would not doubt rival Nash as the NBA's best.

Great win, very clutch 3's and steal by Dun in the 4th, props to Adonal and all the rest. Can't wait to see what they bring tomorrow in Miami.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:01 am
Adonal is making the most out of the time hes getting. One of the best wins of the year. Great D on D-howard. Another great game by baron, monta was better with his turnovers tonight. I wanna see more of Ike though, when he gets in he plays great. Im really starting to worry about J-rich, why only 15 minutes tonight? Is he just still getting his legs back or is the knee sore?

If we can get a win tomorrow against the heat we got two gimmes(at least I hope so) against philly and the pierce-less boston at home.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:34 am
JSW is nowhere to be found after a great win.

But he is the first to start bashing after a loss.

hmm?

edit: Jrich season looks dim. What has happened? maybe more time is needed. Nevertheless, i hope this team finds a stable rotation that we can go with and thats how we can win consistently.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:49 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Great win. Many would say it's nothing but this is the best team in the East.

Really?. I don't think the Magic are even a playoff team in the East. And you know I've said it before in other threads, not just due to this game. I just think they had a lucky start of the season. I can't see anything remarkable in that team, other than Howard's improvement, but he ain't ready yet to carry the offense of Orlando. I doubt they'll finish in the top 10 in the east.

Which doesn't mean it wasn't a great win, given how banged up our team was. J-Rich ain't J-Rich, Biedrins is in a bit of a funk, Ellis wasn't fully healthy, Ike still doesn't play as much as he should... and we still won due to a great game by Baron and (surprise!!!) Dunleavy.

I must admit I'm starting to like Dunleavy coming from the bench... well, maybe not yet, but will happen if he keeps playing like this. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:23 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Great win. Many would say it's nothing but this is the best team in the East.

Really?. I don't think the Magic are even a playoff team in the East. And you know I've said it before in other threads, not just due to this game. I just think they had a lucky start of the season. I can't see anything remarkable in that team, other than Howard's improvement, but he ain't ready yet to carry the offense of Orlando. I doubt they'll finish in the top 10 in the east.

Which doesn't mean it wasn't a great win, given how banged up our team was. J-Rich ain't J-Rich, Biedrins is in a bit of a funk, Ellis wasn't fully healthy, Ike still doesn't play as much as he should... and we still won due to a great game by Baron and (surprise!!!) Dunleavy.

I must admit I'm starting to like Dunleavy coming from the bench... well, maybe not yet, but will happen if he keeps playing like this. :mrgreen:

I went by the records, so I assumed they were on of the top teams in the East. I'm not suprised by this start by the Magic. They showed signs of doing so since last season when they acquired Darko. He hasn't really done much but they've been on a role since.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:36 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
TMC wrote:

I went by the records, so I assumed they were on of the top teams in the East. I'm not suprised by this start by the Magic. They showed signs of doing so since last season when they acquired Darko. He hasn't really done much but they've been on a role since.

I expect the Magic to make the playoffs but didn't expect them to do this good. They have Dwight, a seemingly rejuvenated Grant Hill, Darko playing very solidly and always playing great defense, Arroyo who is there best guard and guys like Jameer Nelson (disappointing so far) and Turkoglu chipping in. They have good young talent and will only get better

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:20 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:I'm so happy I decided to go to the bar and catch the 4th quarter of this one. A real nice win for the team. They played pretty darn good defense in the 4th, and that's what really did it for them. They actually got pretty lucky on the offensive side, with Dun's miracle three and a few Baron misses that were rebounded and put back (one by dun, two by Foyle).

I know I'm gonna get chewed out by someone for saying this, but Baron's decision making late in the game can still stand to improve a good amount. Today was a far cry from the 4th in New Jersey, not even comparable, actually, but I still see things from him late in the game that I'm not so happy about. When the Warriors start to run half-court sets late in close games, Baron has had a tendency to isolate himself at the top of the key for either a drive or a three as the shot clock winds down. When he drives, it is light years better than when he settles for a long shot. Toinght, he drove almost every time, which was why the team's and his results were so much better in the 4th. Now I know he's our star, and I always want the ball in his hands for the big shots, but if the Warriors are going to slow the game down in the 4th, as they have been recently, Baron needs to rotate the ball a little more and get others more involved. It becomes obvious what he's going to do, and teams pick up on it. Toinght, early in the foruth, he had three or four drives in a row where he either made the shot or got fouled. Then, later in the quarter, he continued what had been working, but misses a few in a row, as Dwight Howard and others are ready to help down low when he inevitably drives. On those misses, Foyle was key and really saved the Warriors, as he got a couple huge ofensive rebounds and put them back in.

Ok, having said that, I am very impressed with Baron the last 2 games, and most of the season, really. If it seems like I'm being nitpicky, I am. Having seen what Baron can do, especially this year (his best stint as a Warrior in my opinion) makes my expectations for him pretty high. I'm extremely happy with the results of his play, and if it were any other player, I'd have nothing negative to say at all. It's just that it's Baron here, and I think I'm not alone in knowing that if he really concentrated on the imminately correctable decision-making flaws in his game, in order to create more consistency, he would not doubt rival Nash as the NBA's best.

Great win, very clutch 3's and steal by Dun in the 4th, props to Adonal and all the rest. Can't wait to see what they bring tomorrow in Miami.

don't sweat it bay to brooklyn. Your view is clear and nuanced. You may still have folks calling you out as a Baron-hater, but you are just stating the obvious to anyone who watches the game. At this time, the team lives or dies by Baron, and when he plays as he did the last 2 games they have a shot in any close contest - when he plays like he did in the 4th in New Jersey they don't. Doesn't make you a hater at all.

ImageImage
Previous

Return to Game Threads