Who's More Valuable?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:47 pm
Andris Biedrins or Monta Ellis? These two guys have shown that they deserve a new contract with the Warriors, but the problem is will the Warriors have enough money to re-sign both of these cats once their current contracts are up?

There's a lot of upside to both of these players and what we are seeing now is nothing yet. They are both far from even hitting their prime and they are putting up very solid numbers.

If you could only re-sign one of these players... who would it be (the Warriors might be in this situation in the future)?

I would have to go with Andris (by default) because a good big man is very hard to find these days. We have J-Rich (slow right now because of his knee, but will be back to full strength at latest next season) who is in front of Ellis. We have compinsation for Ellis, but we do not have any compinsation for Biedrins.

We can't forget about Ike Diogu either! Throw him into the mix. Can we re-sign him as well? We'd be living in a dream if we could re-sign all these players. I would love to resign all three of them, but it don't think it's possible with Dunleavy, Murphy, and Foyle's contracts in the way. I would trade Ellis, Biedrins, and Diogu any day for Dunleavy, Murphy, and Foyle. I'm pretty sure all you would as well!

Thoughts?
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:58 pm
Josh Jamison wrote:Andris Biedrins or Monta Ellis?

If you could only re-sign one of these players... who would it be (the Warriors might be in this situation in the future)?

Shouldn't be easy... but, actually, it is. Biedrins. SG are much more easier to replace (in fact, as you say, we already have a pretty good one in J-Rich).

Josh Jamison wrote:We can't forget about Ike Diogu either! Throw him into the mix. Can we re-sign him as well? We'd be living in a dream if we could re-sign all these players.

Ike... is tricky. We'll have to re-sign him the same year Baron becomes a free agent... so we'll have cap, unless we decide to break the bank for Baron. There's still time to worry about that, tho.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:43 pm
Biedrins is a young stud, and front line players take a while to develop (Shaq, Yao). What we see in Ellis, is pretty much is what we are going to get. If he takes a lot more shots, he becomes another Gilbert Arenas ... if he can take over fourth quarter he becomes an Earl Boykins. Nelson seems to be riding the BD train to the playoffs, but his patience with Ellis makes me think Ellis may be a long time Warrior. The future of Diogu and BD depend on the playoffs and Nellie. If we don't make the playoffs or come a game or so close, Nellie will retire a Warrior and a new coach will rebuild the team around an athletic front court of OB, Biedrins and Diogu .. maybe a joakim Noah and fire-sale the team's big contracts (BD and J-Rich). A Bulls disintegration would help move Murphy to the Bulls, the only viable trading partner, unless we want to give a young player or next years 1st round pick. If Dunleavy keeps playing consistent basketball and toughens mentally, we may be able to pick up Maguette for him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:12 pm
Quality centers are harder to find than quality tweener guards. That's why AB is the way to go.

There has gotta be a way to sign them both though. If the Warriors can trade Murphy for PJ Browns expiring contract and buyout Foyle they would have enough cash to sign both of them I think. The loser in the scenario would be Pietrus but he can be replaced through the draft. Plus I believe the Warriors can use a Mid-level exception for Ellis when his contract is up, making it much easier to throw money at him.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:31 pm
dareedle wrote:Biedrins is a young stud, and front line players take a while to develop (Shaq, Yao). What we see in Ellis, is pretty much is what we are going to get. If he takes a lot more shots, he becomes another Gilbert Arenas ... if he can take over fourth quarter he becomes an Earl Boykins. Nelson seems to be riding the BD train to the playoffs, but his patience with Ellis makes me think Ellis may be a long time Warrior. The future of Diogu and BD depend on the playoffs and Nellie. If we don't make the playoffs or come a game or so close, Nellie will retire a Warrior and a new coach will rebuild the team around an athletic front court of OB, Biedrins and Diogu .. maybe a joakim Noah and fire-sale the team's big contracts (BD and J-Rich). A Bulls disintegration would help move Murphy to the Bulls, the only viable trading partner, unless we want to give a young player or next years 1st round pick. If Dunleavy keeps playing consistent basketball and toughens mentally, we may be able to pick up Maguette for him.

Ellis is a billion times better than boykins already. And there's another slashing guard out of high school who put up similar numbers his first two seasons. His name is Kobe Bryant. What you see is definately not what you get. Arenas is another one. nobody peaks at 21 years old.
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:15 pm
Biedrins. I love Monta, but when we truely lack big men, not guards. As talented and skilled offensively Monta is along with the fact he is fast, Biedrins is the type of player we have lacked for a while. He blocks shots, play defense, finish off the pass, and can create his own shot off the elbow or down on the block to get to the rim. He's not the best free throw shooter, but he has finally shown to shoot every now and then consistently. We have Jrich and Baron. Monta is good, but we lack an inside player, not an outside player. And that's why Biedrins is much more valuable.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:40 pm
Biedrins, by far.

I like Monta, too... but prodigy, undersized SGs in need of a PG-transformation are a dime a dozen... whereas big men (and I mean GOOD big men) are in short supply.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:39 pm
Biedrins!

The Warriors have a hard time getting a good big man in such a long time and now that one is here, he has to be kept! Biedrins is only 20 years old and will only get better.

I'd love to keep Ellis but he will likely leave as a few teams will throw alot of money at him.

There will always be a player or two out there that is capable of being a solid backup PG, so it is easier to replace Ellis.

As for Diogu, he hasn't played much so he is still a relative unknown but he is the answer at PF and if he and Biedrins are kept, the team will have two very good big men for many years to come!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 am
As someone else said, Pietrus is the odd man out. We should be able to re-sign bot Biedrins and Monta, but I can't see us given all three new contracts.

btw, Biedrins signed his rookie contract under the old CBA, which means he's still under contract for the next season. We do not necessarily have to re-sign him this offseason, although extending his deal this summer would probably be the best options.

Return to Warriors Basketball