Fitzgerald - Dunleavy Interview

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:02 pm
We are all for free speech and freedom of expression; however, we also want to avoid being offensive. As to what is acceptable vs. what isn't, with this being the 21st Century, American society tends to lean towards being PC.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 pm
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:I bet outside of this board around black people you wouldn't use the N' Word at all or in the context that you used it here period. Why :?: because it is offensive and you would get hurt :!: REAL TALK

No I wouldn't but I understand how that expression can be used nonoffensively or as a simily to another expression like dikhed or arse hole.

If the "N" word is banished, then so should words like fatty or slob

My god man, I understand you've been living in a cave in Australia run by the Sierra club but you'd think you'd be a bit more sensitive. This is a word that was used by slave owners and racists for hundreds of years. If you went into oakland and talked the kind of talk you're talking right now you'd get shot within a couple hours. That's just unacceptable in today's day and age, especially in the current racially tense climate in which Mahmoud Admedinejad is stirring up with neo nazis all over the world. When in doubt (which you ARE, since having lived in Australia and Portugal you don't know too much about this topic) err towards the PC side. To even compare the N word with wordes like dikhead, a$$hole, fatty, or slob is just offensive. I saw your side of the argument this hole time but this is just taking ignorance too far Migya.
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:52 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote: To even compare the N word with wordes like dikhead, a$$hole, fatty, or slob is just offensive.
I was flabbergasted and gave up at that point :oops:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 am
the phrase PC is interesting. Originally it was used by leftists on campus as a selfmocking description of overly earnest and too careful academics (i.e. vertically challenged instead of short). It got adopted by the right wingers in the US to attack anyone who challenged the right of sexists, racists and homophobes to continue using derogatory terms for anyone who wasn't a straight white male, so I think the term has lost its meaning and become a slogan.
Anyway, it is great that so many passionate and generally well-reasoned responses have been posted. I am pretty much with Uptempo and Pest on this, though I don't think by any means is anyone on here a racist. Certain terms, such as the N word for blacks, the K word for Jews, F word for gays and the C word for women are historically associated with unimaginable violence and sytemic oppression against these groups (there are many others for sure, these are just a few examples). These words are "fighting words", or the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater - i.e. beyond the pale.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:19 am
migya wrote:No I wouldn't but I understand how that expression can be used nonoffensively or as a simily to another expression like dikhed or arse hole.

It depens on several factors, migya. You can use the N word in Australia (I'm going from what you're saying. I don't really know for sure) or even here in Spain and some people would find it offensive while others wouldn't mind as much (I'm pretty sure most people around here don't know the real origins of the word).

But that word doesn't have the same meaning in the USA. You just can't use it as freely (in fact, you shouldn't use it at all). As colt, pest and xbay and uptempo have explained, certain words cannot be used in certain contexts. This is one of those contexts.

Our differences are all related to having been raised in different cultures. No one is more right than any other. As xbay said, let's forget about this and focus on other things we have in common, like the Warriors.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:31 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:I bet outside of this board around black people you wouldn't use the N' Word at all or in the context that you used it here period. Why :?: because it is offensive and you would get hurt :!: REAL TALK

No I wouldn't but I understand how that expression can be used nonoffensively or as a simily to another expression like dikhed or arse hole.

My god man, I understand you've been living in a cave in Australia run by the Sierra club but you'd think you'd be a bit more sensitive. This is a word that was used by slave owners and racists for hundreds of years. If you went into oakland and talked the kind of talk you're talking right now you'd get shot within a couple hours. That's just unacceptable in today's day and age, especially in the current racially tense climate in which Mahmoud Admedinejad is stirring up with neo nazis all over the world. When in doubt (which you ARE, since having lived in Australia and Portugal you don't know too much about this topic) err towards the PC side. To even compare the N word with wordes like dikhead, a$$hole, fatty, or slob is just offensive. I saw your side of the argument this hole time but this is just taking ignorance too far Migya.

I understand the sensitivity in America to racist expressions, especially (and I'm trying hard to be tippytoey like the rest of you seemingly are) the "N" word. I just see it as going too far and not with the times to keep referring back to past history and using that to watch what you say.
As an example; if a black guy in a high school is talking shiit over and over again to someone else, we'll say a white guy, and that white guy turns around and says "fuk you nigga!, I've had it with your shiit!", he is not calling the black guy a slave but rather is using an expression in the same level as "dikhed" or "arsehole" etc. Nowadays there are no black guys that can say they are slaves in chains! (though in reality, we all are!)

My point is that expressions are just a use of words to either call someone in a friendly atmosphere manner, like calling out to your mates "hey, what's up muthafukers" or to call someone out in an angry situation of confrontation BUT with no reference to anything deeper than that situation and that situation alone. eg. "Get out of my face nigga, you've ran into me four times already!". That is, though harsh, just a situational thing and nothing deeper than that.

Truth is - EVERYONE says things that are hurtful now and then but don't mean it as a deep degrading thing.

Point is - People need to lighten up on this issue of words that have gradually been blown up out of proportion!

Another important point is - NO HYPOCRICY!
I have heard and seen in documentaries, black guys calling white guys names like white trash, white arse and other "racist" type names. That sort of shiit has got to go if things are to be totally even or the "N" word is far game to use against a black guy as well! Hypocricy on this issue seems to be rather large right now!

And Pest - My dwelling may actually be more prestigious than yours champ :wink: :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:35 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:No I wouldn't but I understand how that expression can be used nonoffensively or as a simily to another expression like dikhed or arse hole.

It depens on several factors, migya. You can use the N word in Australia (I'm going from what you're saying. I don't really know for sure) or even here in Spain and some people would find it offensive while others wouldn't mind as much (I'm pretty sure most people around here don't know the real origins of the word).

But that word doesn't have the same meaning in the USA. You just can't use it as freely (in fact, you shouldn't use it at all). As colt, pest and xbay and uptempo have explained, certain words cannot be used in certain contexts. This is one of those contexts.

Our differences are all related to having been raised in different cultures. No one is more right than any other. As xbay said, let's forget about this and focus on other things we have in common, like the Warriors.

I know what you're saying TMC but what I'm saying is that all expressions can be used nonoffensively in certain situations and the "N" word is definately one of them as it is heard (according to mates who have been to the U.S.) frequently in an everyday talk context, usually between black guys yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't a frequently used word

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:39 am
coltraning wrote:C word for women

Cow
Cleaner
Cook
Cocksucker

??????????

:mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 pm
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:

I understand the sensitivity in America to racist expressions, especially (and I'm trying hard to be tippytoey like the rest of you seemingly are) the "N" word. I just see it as going too far and not with the times to keep referring back to past history and using that to watch what you say.
As an example; if a black guy in a high school is talking shiit over and over again to someone else, we'll say a white guy, and that white guy turns around and says "fuk you nigga!, I've had it with your shiit!", he is not calling the black guy a slave but rather is using an expression in the same level as "dikhed" or "arsehole" etc. Nowadays there are no black guys that can say they are slaves in chains! (though in reality, we all are!)

My point is that expressions are just a use of words to either call someone in a friendly atmosphere manner, like calling out to your mates "hey, what's up muthafukers" or to call someone out in an angry situation of confrontation BUT with no reference to anything deeper than that situation and that situation alone. eg. "Get out of my face nigga, you've ran into me four times already!". That is, though harsh, just a situational thing and nothing deeper than that.

Truth is - EVERYONE says things that are hurtful now and then but don't mean it as a deep degrading thing.

Point is - People need to lighten up on this issue of words that have gradually been blown up out of proportion!

I have heard and seen in documentaries, black guys calling white guys names like white trash, white arse and other "racist" type names. That sort of shiit has got to go if things are to be totally even or the "N" word is far game to use against a black guy as well! Hypocricy on this issue seems to be rather large right now!

And Pest - My dwelling may actually be more prestigious than yours champ :wink: :mrgreen:
:shock: By Far the most ignorant stupidest, insensitive, hardheaded post I have read on this board, WOW...... Where is Australia on Mars :?:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:56 pm
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:

:shock: By Far the most ignorant stupidest, insensitive, hardheaded post I have read on this board, WOW...... Where is Australia on Mars :?:

broe, i've read your shallow, oneminded posts in the past and have just accepted you as an insecure man, afraid to open up to the world and live in harmony, peace and having true bonding with other people, like other men. This discussion has shown that you are very much closed and narrow minded in your failure to see the big picture of what is being said.

You are probably the sort of person who is good with children (hopefully not in a paediphilic way!) but who is single and can't really open up.

OPEN UP IMBICILE!!!!

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:19 am
Ok, enough already. This going too far. If you want to keep arguing for the sake of it (as it's clear enough were everyone stands) do it on the private forum of through PMs. This section is not for that. This is the WARRIORS FORUM (the team, not both of you :mrgreen: )
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:07 am
TMC wrote:Ok, enough already. This going too far. If you want to keep arguing for the sake of it (as it's clear enough were everyone stands) do it on the private forum of through PMs. This section is not for that. This is the WARRIORS FORUM (the team, not both of you :mrgreen: )

sounds about right...or at least to off-topic "the broe who hates migya and the migya who sods him off" :wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:38 pm
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:

broe, i've read your shallow, oneminded posts in the past and have just accepted you as an insecure man, afraid to open up to the world and live in harmony, peace and having true bonding with other people, like other men. This discussion has shown that you are very much closed and narrow minded in your failure to see the big picture of what is being said.

You are probably the sort of person who is good with children (hopefully not in a paediphilic way!) but who is single and can't really open up.

OPEN UP IMBICILE!!!!
You are a insensitive extreme hypocrite in denial saying I am narrow minded with a failure to see the big picture, you are describing yourself to a T, not me :!:

You are the one who fails to realize and recognize the magnitude of the N' Word and how deeply offensive the word is, you even ignored people in this thread on this board that are black that have said the word is very offensive, hurtful and disrespectful but you don't care and continue to try to ignorantly justify the usage of the word and try to turn this on me like I am in the wrong, sorry but that won't work and whether you know it or not you truly are making yourself look like a fool, I bet there is not 1 person on this board that shares your belief that it is OK to use the N Word, especially coming from someone who is a non black like yourself, this has nothing to do with me and you it is about being respectful and sensitive to the fact that the N' word has been used for centuries and currently as a hurtful degrading, demeaning term towards black people by racists, past slave owners and bigots :!:

Imagine if your mom and dad were treated like animals and routinely disrespected through out there lives having to drink out of separate water fountains use separate bathrooms, ride on the back of the bus, sprayed with water hoses, abused by police, and your grandparents and ancestors enslaved, raped and murdered by hanging, all the while being called the N' Word :banghead:

I hope you are able to somehow get educated on how wrong and disrespectful it is for you to use the N' Word in any context, and again this is not about me vs you :!:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:29 pm
This whole "N" word sh*t has to stop. It's gone fine out of our reach to talk about the way this is going. It is an unnecessary, uncharacteristic word to use in any way. To use it in any type of way, discounting the fact that black comedians use it, is a disgrace and shows just pure selfishness of your actions. Now we are all men here correct? (besides pawno of course :mrgreen: ) If we are, stop arguing over such a subject that does not need over 2-3 pages arguing about. Using it is an insult to any person, regardless if you're white, especially black, brown, yellow, green, blue, purple, ect. Migya...you're a great guy and all but this is not the type of word to be used. I hear kids around my school who say it all the time. That's just them. They're just trying to be "cool". Nigga...is not a "cool" word.

And to think this type of argument would come up in a Fitzgerald-Dunleavy thread.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:12 pm
O.G. broe wrote:Imagine if your mom and dad were treated like animals and routinely disrespected through out there lives having to drink out of separate water fountains use separate bathrooms, ride on the back of the bus, sprayed with water hoses, abused by police, and your grandparents and ancestors enslaved, raped and murdered by hanging, all the while being called the N' Word :banghead:

I hope you are able to somehow get educated on how wrong and disrespectful it is for you to use the N' Word in any context, and again this is not about me vs you :!:

Just like I was stating - Going overboard!

End of the argument right here. Good day monsieur broe

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball