is AI a good fit for denver

yes
62%
no
38%

Total votes : 13

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:38 pm
AI is goin to Denver apparently according to ESPN, with the nuggets givin up a bunch of garbage and the 1st rounders they had. not finalized, but its waitning league apporval....link is below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2702501
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:10 pm
I think AI would be a good fit, expically now since half the team is suspended. We'll see if this move translates to instant wins.
Look for Carmelo's scoring average to go down...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:15 pm
I think it's a great deal for Denver. Now that team is not only gonna win their division (no matter the 15 games suspension Melo got), they have become a clear contender for the West... Probably the third team in the west with San Antonio and Phoenix (no, I don't think Dallas has a chance this year).

For Philly... well, I think they could have gotten a better deal if they hadn't rushed the trade. They're building for the future (I'm not sure of Miller's status, but Smith is an expirer), so the picks will help. That's the main asset they get.

The trade is pretty similar to the Vince Carter to the Nets trade... which means that Philly got raped, as expected.

As a curious note, we helped Denver (indirectly) to get AI, as one of those picks is the one we gave them in the Najera's trade (just to get rid of his salary).
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:41 pm
wow - he and Melo are very complementary players...it and Minny are the 2 places I would have guessed...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:43 pm
coltraning wrote:it and Minny are the 2 places I would have guessed...

I never thought Minny had the slightest chance, as they do not have any pick to offer... and not much talent, other than KG.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:52 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:it and Minny are the 2 places I would have guessed...

I never thought Minny had the slightest chance, as they do not have any pick to offer... and not much talent, other than KG.

though I think if KG had given the word they would have done something...somehow. Anyway, I see it as a good trade for both parties under the circumstances, and it makes Denver yet another powerful Western team and weakens the East even more. Has there ever been such an imbalance between the 2 conferences?

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm
coltraning wrote:though I think if KG had given the word they would have done something...somehow.

Yup. Something like this?

KG.- Yo, McHale, you've f*cked up my career enough. Time for some payback. Bring me AI.

McHale.- Sure, I'm gonna call Billy right now. I'll offer our next 35 second rounders and he won't be able to refuse. :mrgreen:

Nah, really, Minny is in the worst shape of the whole NBA. Only KG makes them respectable, but they have no assets to trade, no talent to help him, and no salary cap for signings. They'll have to trade him at some point and start rebuilding. There's no charity in the NBA.

btw, I'm sure KG did all he could to get AI, but Minny had nothing to trade to anybody.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:05 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:though I think if KG had given the word they would have done something...somehow.

Yup. Something like this?

KG.- Yo, McHale, you've f*cked up my career enough. Time for some payback. Bring me AI.

McHale.- Sure, I'm gonna call Billy right now. I'll offer our next 35 second rounders and he won't be able to refuse. :mrgreen:

Nah, really, Minny is in the worst shape of the whole NBA. Only KG makes them respectable, but they have no assets to trade, no talent to help him, and no salary cap for signings. They'll have to trade him at some point and start rebuilding. There's no charity in the NBA.

btw, I'm sure KG did all he could to get AI, but Minny had nothing to trade to anybody.

maybe they could have traded Al Franken and Garrison Keillor :wink:

ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:54 pm
WTF? Are all the best NBA players going to be playing in the Western Conference? What's next? Paul Pierce on the Clippers? Vince Carter on the Sonics?

If the Warriors are going to be horrible, I would at least expect Nelson to play the youngsters in the front court so that the team will be in a position to improve next season. Foyle, Dunleavy, and Murphy have no upside; what we see right now is the best that we can expect from those three. Thank you Chris Mullin for locking in these three stiffs!
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Thank you Chris Mullin for locking in these three stiffs!

Dude, I don't think I've read one of your posts where you haven't gone out of your way to rag on Mullin. Mullin's made mistakes no doubt, but he is in no way the worst GM in the NBA. Personally I put his mistakes down to inexperience in his role as GM. I think Mullin has the right idea in mind now and the passion for this team to actually make it happen. Just my 2 cents though.

As for AI....I think everyone expected him to go to Denver, it was just a matter of time. The fact that Melo got suspended probably sped the process up some. Anyways, I think its a good fit and Denver now has the chance to be a contender.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:28 pm
TMC wrote:I think it's a great deal for Denver. Now that team is not only gonna win their division

utah
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:28 pm
TMC wrote:I think it's a great deal for Denver. Now that team is not only gonna win their division

utah
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 pm
Let me get this straight...

Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony, and Marcus Camby (who ALL try to average around 20 PPG every year) just got stuck with AI???

Wow. Talk about too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

As I said with Ron Artest last year, the short term effects will be great... the long term will be horrid. I give Denver two glorious seasons with AI and Carmelo before the whole thing melts prematurely. Hell, next year, they might even get to the Western Conference Finals (nothing more, but its still impressive, in the short term).

This season and next season will look great for Denver... but no more than that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm
on a different note,what happens with his All Star status now?East or West?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:49 pm
He'll probably stay on the East ballot but will play on the West if voted in.

About this trade, it's a great move for both teams. Philly gets two picks in this deep, upcoming draft. They also get, Andre Miller. He's a decent point guard, but he does help their needs at that position. With Denver, this helps them. AI, Carmelo, and Smith will be a dangerous duo. Can they coexist? We shall see. Will both of their scoring stats go down? Surely. Where does this team rank with the rest of the West? I only see Phoenix, San Antonio, and Dallas being in their way of the Finals.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball