Game Thread: Warriors @ New Jersey Nets 2006-12-18

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the Warriors continue their slump on the road?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:30 pm

YES
50%
NO
50%

Total votes : 8

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:41 pm
Once again, I'll say it again, it will, and always be the inability to win on the road. And not only that, but the inability to close out games. The Warriors need to have fuel to play four quarters, not three. And it showed tonight. They refused to drive to the basket in the fourth. They were perimeter oriented in the first 8 minutes of the game, and that only gave them 10 points.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:56 pm
Another tough loss. God damn this team cannot hang on to leads. It just sucks! So dissapointing to see the team playing so well and then collapse in the 4th. Its a young team so some of this is expected i guess. Lets hope we can keep the core together and let them grow together.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 pm
baron did about as much to beat us as jersey did. don't be fooled by his stats, he killed us in the second half.
ImageImage
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:29 pm
Really a dismal loss. I was sitting at a bar here in Oakland, mumbling and swearing to myself. Luckily, the other few people watching the game held the same sentiments as me, and didn't think I was completely crazy.

Dunleavy had an awful game. Just terrible - threw away passes, missed wide open looks, and basically just crapped the bed as usual.

Monta was ok, but had some costly turnovers late, as he seems to in every Warriors loss. I'm glad he's so young, as it's something he can (and absolutely must) work on if he wants to take his game to the next level. It's maddening seeing him make the same mistakes late all the time.

I blame the loss more on Baron than anyone. He was atrocious tonight. His stat line may have looked good, but he really doomed them tonight. I found myself really hating how he plays basketball sometimes. For someone with such increadible tools for a basketball player, and a point guard in particular, he really makes some of the most bone-headed decisions imaginable. Just inexcusible, turned-his-brain-off, the engine's running but no one's behind the wheel kind of stuff. At the end of the 3rd, with 10 seconds left, instead of setting up a play, or at least attempting to drive and get a foul, he waits at the top of the 3 point line until there is one second left, so he can take a fade away, contested three. i feel like that's still his MO, in a nutshell. He is such a good passer, but can just go on these stretches where he won't actively involve anyone. In the fourth, there were a couple times where he just jacked up threes, once where he took a contested long jumper with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, another where he tried to back two defenders down, only to have the ball stolen for a fastbreak layup. He just seems to waste possesions way too much. For a younger player like Monta, it's more understandable, but there's really no excuse for Baron. I understand that he feels like he needs to carry the team sometimes, and he does that with great effect sometimes. And while his play seems to be improved over last season, most of his sour tendencies still seem to be there. If he doesn't change some of those, the Warriors will never play well at the end of games or on the road, and they sure as hell won't make the playoffs. He is the point guard and the team leader. He needs to start REALLY playing like it.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:baron did about as much to beat us as jersey did. don't be fooled by his stats, he killed us in the second half.

Not more than Don Nelson did.

When ALL your players are cold, it's time for some new blood. I know Richardson struggled early, but what would it have hurt to sub him into the 4th? Same with Diogu.

It seemed to me like the only substitution Nelson was making in the second half was a rotation of Barnes, Dunleavy, and Biedrins... all the while, keeping Baron, Monta, and Pietrus in the game (who all went completely ice cold).

I gotta say, this (along with the opening night Laker game) has been the only example thus far of Nelson's bad coaching side. He likes to ride it out with cold players. Sometimes it works... this time it didn't.

Heart-breaking loss.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:14 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:Really a dismal loss. I was sitting at a bar here in Oakland, mumbling and swearing to myself. Luckily, the other few people watching the game held the same sentiments as me, and didn't think I was completely crazy.

Dunleavy had an awful game. Just terrible - threw away passes, missed wide open looks, and basically just crapped the bed as usual.

Monta was ok, but had some costly turnovers late, as he seems to in every Warriors loss. I'm glad he's so young, as it's something he can (and absolutely must) work on if he wants to take his game to the next level. It's maddening seeing him make the same mistakes late all the time.

I blame the loss more on Baron than anyone. He was atrocious tonight. His stat line may have looked good, but he really doomed them tonight. I found myself really hating how he plays basketball sometimes. For someone with such increadible tools for a basketball player, and a point guard in particular, he really makes some of the most bone-headed decisions imaginable. Just inexcusible, turned-his-brain-off, the engine's running but no one's behind the wheel kind of stuff. At the end of the 3rd, with 10 seconds left, instead of setting up a play, or at least attempting to drive and get a foul, he waits at the top of the 3 point line until there is one second left, so he can take a fade away, contested three. i feel like that's still his MO, in a nutshell. He is such a good passer, but can just go on these stretches where he won't actively involve anyone. In the fourth, there were a couple times where he just jacked up threes, once where he took a contested long jumper with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, another where he tried to back two defenders down, only to have the ball stolen for a fastbreak layup. He just seems to waste possesions way too much. For a younger player like Monta, it's more understandable, but there's really no excuse for Baron. I understand that he feels like he needs to carry the team sometimes, and he does that with great effect sometimes. And while his play seems to be improved over last season, most of his sour tendencies still seem to be there. If he doesn't change some of those, the Warriors will never play well at the end of games or on the road, and they sure as hell won't make the playoffs. He is the point guard and the team leader. He needs to start REALLY playing like it.

yup - at my sports bar we were cursing baron and Dunleavy in that order...I think sometimes Baron is playing some playground scenario from his youth in his head. It's the only thing that explains it. I also agree with 32 on not playing Ike and JRich. I mean 2 minutes for Ike? Unless he is still hurt, whassup with that? It's not like the team that got scorched for a 17-2 run couldn't have used a change. I think Nelson gives as little benefit of the doubt to Ike as he does contortions to justify Dunleavy. It was a very badly coached 4th quarter. Honestly, Baron should have had his ass benched the 2nd time he jacked up a contested fadeway with 20 left on the clock. It was obvious he was going into Baronball - weird :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:19 am
coltraning wrote:I think Nelson gives as little benefit of the doubt to Ike

:dontknow:

I'm hoping its just a motivational sort of thing... it seemed to work for Foyle. Though we all know he'll never be a fundamental masterpiece, I gotta admit that the guy's in the best shape I've ever seen him in... and has worked his ass off whenever he gets in the game. Hopefully, Nelly's just trying to get Ike to work hard, too. Hopefully.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:34 am
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:I think Nelson gives as little benefit of the doubt to Ike

:dontknow:

I'm hoping its just a motivational sort of thing... it seemed to work for Foyle. Though we all know he'll never be a fundamental masterpiece, I gotta admit that the guy's in the best shape I've ever seen him in... and has worked his ass off whenever he gets in the game. Hopefully, Nelly's just trying to get Ike to work hard, too. Hopefully.

and one thing I will say about Nelson is he is capable of changing course pretty rapidly. the Dung/Murphy combo lasted about 2 games, he brought Monta into the starting lineup and has turned around on Foyle. If all us ike fans are right about him, I am pretty sure Nelson will turn around on him too...he does need more than 2 minutes to show what he can do, though :!: :?:

ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:44 am
Nelson on J Rich
The good news was our team was ahead when he went out. That’s the good news. We also had some energy then. I didn’t think I should put him back in, as much as I wanted to. I didn’t think he was good enough yet. I didn’t know that after him sitting that long it would be fair for him to test that knee.”

On the Warriors’ Bench
“Evidently, I didn’t have enough confidence in my bench, in the guys that didn’t play or didn’t play very much. I thought to win this game, we had to play the guys that we played, and that’s the way it went. My bench guys are already playing. They are called starters now.”

On the difference in the Game
“We took the easy way out and settled for the long jump shot in the fourth quarter, and it killed us.”
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:48 am
Don Nelson
On Tonight's Game
“We played a very good game for three quarters. It’s not the first time. We just didn’t have anything left in the fourth quarter. It certainly wasn’t our defense. It was our offense. We stopped penetrating, doing the things to get easy baskets and running. We started shooting too many outside shots. They just got tired of doing the extra little things, and that’s the result. We didn’t give ourselves a chance to win. I don’t blame them for being tired. We played a lot of games in a short period of time.”

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:49 am
Mike Dunleavy
On Tonight's Game
“In the fourth, offensively, we just had a really tough time. We settled for shots and turned the ball over. We didn’t do what we were doing in the first three quarters, and we ended up coming up short.”
On the possibility of being tired: “I thought we were rested enough. We played early in the afternoon yesterday. They made some adjustment and we just failed to counter-adjust and attack them and we turned it over too much.”

On the fourth quarter: “We got lost out there, and didn’t continue to do what brought us to that point.”

Baron Davis
On Tonight's Game
“That was it. That’s where we lost the game, in the fourth quarter. It’s like we hit an offensive wall. We stopped moving the ball and stopped running. It was due in large part because we didn’t come up with any loose balls, or any deflections, or any of those long rebounds. They beat us to the punch in the fourth quarter. They wanted it a little more. If we can’t run and get up and run, they were running all game, and our offensive just slowed down. That’s how we lost.”
On the Nets’ defense: “They are a good half court defensive team, and that’s what coach was telling us before the game. We just played right into their hands in the fourth.”
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:26 am
Haven't seen this game, but, from what I'm reading, seems pretty similar to lots of other games on the road this season. We still don't know how to close the game...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:24 am
From what everyone is saying, Baron is trying to be an Iverson type and he is doing a lousy job. He really has lost the team some games in the 4th quarter recently. This looks like a game the team had won but then just stuffed it! This would have been a real great win but as it stands - 0-2 on thid road trip thus far.

There has to be a continuation of what was working at the start of the game in the 4th quarter and Nelson MUST take control and tell Baron how it should be

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:39 am
Let me edit this just a little bit...
O.G. broe wrote:Mike Dunleavy
On Tonight's Game
“In the fourth, offensively, we just had a really tough time. Baron settled for shots and he, Monta and I turned the ball over. Baron didn’t do what he was doing in the first three quarters, and we ended up coming up short.”
On the possibility of being tired: “I thought we were rested enough. We played early in the afternoon yesterday. They made some adjustment and Baron just failed to counter-adjust and attack them and we turned it over too much.”

On the fourth quarter: “Baron got lost out there, and didn’t continue to do what brought us to that point.”

Baron Davis
On Tonight's Game
“That was it. That’s where I lost the game, in the fourth quarter. It’s like I hit an offensive wall. I stopped moving the ball and stopped running. It was due in large part because I didn’t come up with any loose balls, or any deflections, or any of those long rebounds. They beat me to the punch in the fourth quarter. They wanted it a little more. If I can’t run and get up and run, they were running all game, and my offensive just slowed down. That’s how we lost.”
On the Nets’ defense: “They are a good half court defensive team, and that’s what coach was telling us before the game. I just played right into their hands in the fourth.”

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:49 am
ugh.... just gotta wait til next game :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads