Huge fight fines

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 am
Per CNN: 15 game suspensions for 10 players, inc Anthony.

$500,000 team fines.

Whoa! I thought this would be severe...

Do NBA players get paid while under league suspension?

This could change playoff chances as well, which would further impact $.

The next step should be to eliminate the stupid hard foul. Necktie tackles aren't even legal in football. Too many problems result from these and I would rather see a twisting layup than an bunch of glowering and free throws.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:03 pm
List of suspensions:
    Carmelo Anthony 15 games

Nate Robinson 10 games

J.R. Smith 10 games

Mardy Collins 6 games

Jared Jeffries 4 games

Jerome James 1 game

Nene 1 game

It's a joke. Isiah is not even fined, Mardy Collins, the one that started the brawl with the foul (and the foul started the fight, not the reaction of JR Smith) gets only 6 games... Everyone that took part actively in the fight should have gotten the same amount, be it 10 or 15 games.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:37 pm
worst of all i have him in fantasy! Not to mention my other stars such as AI and Shaq haven't been playin, but due to the fact that im in a big league, theres no one out there.

back to the madison square brawl, i think the two biggest suspensions should of gone to carmelo, but also Isiah. Now its not for sure for what he said alledgidly to carmelo a minute before the incident occurred, but even for what he was saying in the press conference after that, blaming george karl for the whole fiasco saying if only he had taken the star players out earlier this whole incident would of never happen is simple rediculous.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:01 pm
well it's true that it's a sign of respect to let up and pull your starters out, when the game is in the bag, but it's not like the kicks pulled their starters out. So i think isiah is a dick and a puss for bitchin. i think the bulk of it should go on melo, robinson, smith. those three were the obvious and i don't think collins should be responsible for a foul that someone over reacted to. it was a hard foul but no one got hurt so i don't think he deserved it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:15 pm
dstown wrote:i don't think collins should be responsible for a foul that someone over reacted to. it was a hard foul but no one got hurt so i don't think he deserved it.

The intention of the foul is what should make it more deserving of a big suspension than just another flagrant foul. And Collins did the same thing against Indy the game before. Those are not "just fouls". No foul means no brawl in this case... If the idea is to avoid further fights like this one, the player that commits the foul should be given the bigger suspension.

It would be different if the outcome of the game were not decided, tho... but that was not the case here.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 pm
I expected harsher penalties for the players...the association was on its way to recovery from the fight 2 years ago between the pacers and pistons, but obviously this tarnishes the image of the NBA even more.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:08 pm
TMC wrote:
dstown wrote:i don't think collins should be responsible for a foul that someone over reacted to. it was a hard foul but no one got hurt so i don't think he deserved it.

The intention of the foul is what should make it more deserving of a big suspension than just another flagrant foul. And Collins did the same thing against Indy the game before. Those are not "just fouls". No foul means no brawl in this case... If the idea is to avoid further fights like this one, the player that commits the foul should be given the bigger suspension.

It would be different if the outcome of the game were not decided, tho... but that was not the case here.

so you're saying it's justified? I understand that the person that started it should get the worst of it, but two wrongs don't make a right and smith getting in his face is what started the back and forth. He should've gotten a fine or some kind of penalty after the game, like how it's usually determined, but smiths action and then robinson's reaction was uncalled for. Which led to the bitch move by melo…hit and run.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:47 pm
dstown wrote:
TMC wrote:

so you're saying it's justified? I understand that the person that started it should get the worst of it, but two wrongs don't make a right and smith getting in his face is what started the back and forth. He should've gotten a fine or some kind of penalty after the game, like how it's usually determined, but smiths action and then robinson's reaction was uncalled for. Which led to the bitch move by melo…hit and run.

Yes, but why commit that type of foul. A hand check would've been a much smarter foul, not a wrap around the neck while he's trying to go up for a layup or dunk. Carmelo threw because he is immature and feels like he must defend any of his teammates. Smith and Carmelo have joined a strong bond with each other, that he couldn't think before he reacted. He deserves the penalty, but this all could've been avoided in many scenarios. One in particular could've been a less violent foul by Mardy.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:34 pm
true…that was a hard and really unnecessary foul…and what i'm saying is he should've and probably would've been dealt with after the game. He deserves a punishment. So i'll retract or revise my first post and say he should get what he would've gotten if there was no reaction from smith, which probably would've been one game and some money
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53 pm
This is stupid. Carmelo Anthony didn't play the biggest part of the brawl; he's just the biggest star. David Stern's making an example out of him.

I hate Stern.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:15 am
dstown wrote:so you're saying it's justified? I understand that the person that started it should get the worst of it, but two wrongs don't make a right and smith getting in his face is what started the back and forth. He should've gotten a fine or some kind of penalty after the game, like how it's usually determined, but smiths action and then robinson's reaction was uncalled for. Which led to the bitch move by melo…hit and run.

What I'm defending is that everybody involved should get the same punishment. Someone starts the brawl and things get out of control... It doesn't matter what they do, the league punishment should be the same for everybody.

Like I've said in other thread, 15 games are too much, no matter what they did. Punish him with 15 games without pay and 3 suspended, and also a fine, and that would be enough in my book. You don't need to f*ck up the competition just to set an example.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:08 am
TMC wrote:It's a joke. Isiah is not even fined, Mardy Collins, the one that started the brawl with the foul (and the foul started the fight, not the reaction of JR Smith) gets only 6 games... Everyone that took part actively in the fight should have gotten the same amount, be it 10 or 15 games.

Isiah should have got fined at the very least for his completely stupid comments!!!!

Fuking garbage! Stern probably receives bum sex from Isiah on a weekly basis or something! Black guys are supposedly bigger :oops:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:11 am
TMC wrote:What I'm defending is that everybody involved should get the same punishment. Someone starts the brawl and things get out of control... It doesn't matter what they do, the league punishment should be the same for everybody.

What if one guy smashes another guy's face into a some glass and splits his face right open, causing permanent damage? He should get a bigger punishment than the rest involved for going too far :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 am
migya wrote:What if one guy smashes another guy's face into a some glass and splits his face right open, causing permanent damage? He should get a bigger punishment than the rest involved for going too far :wink:

What? How did I missed that? :mrgreen:

That didn't happen, migya. I'm just talking about what happened in that fight. It all was a consequence of the Collins' foul... and I still think that, unless something outrageous like your example happens, everybody should get the same punishment, at least in the number of games.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:38 am
TMC wrote:
dstown wrote:so you're saying it's justified? I understand that the person that started it should get the worst of it, but two wrongs don't make a right and smith getting in his face is what started the back and forth. He should've gotten a fine or some kind of penalty after the game, like how it's usually determined, but smiths action and then robinson's reaction was uncalled for. Which led to the bitch move by melo…hit and run.

What I'm defending is that everybody involved should get the same punishment. Someone starts the brawl and things get out of control... It doesn't matter what they do, the league punishment should be the same for everybody.

Like I've said in other thread, 15 games are too much, no matter what they did. Punish him with 15 games without pay and 3 suspended, and also a fine, and that would be enough in my book. You don't need to f*ck up the competition just to set an example.

I agree. Carmelo didn't do anything worse than Nate Robinson, he was just more successful. He sucker punched the guy but didn't injure him. I don't think you should get suspended more for being a coward. I agree that pretty much everybody should get the same suspension unless all they did was hold people back
ImageImage
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball