Fitzgerald - Dunleavy Interview

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:48 am
migya wrote:The best thing is obviously to eliminate use of expressions that relate to skin colour, race and so on because there can always be misinterpretation

God, I hope we don't have to come to that. We should only avoid using those expressions until we're sure they won't be misinterpreted. Shouldn't be that hard...[/quote]

The sad thing is that society is so thin skinned we are afraid to say anything withoiuy it being misinterpreted. As a black man. I was not offended in what Jimmy the Greek said, and not necessarily Howard Cosell. But what Al Campanis said was definitely hurtful, and also very wrong.

But what I like about this forum is that we all have one thing in common, and that is love for the Warriors, I guess I stated this crap by calling Fitz a something, something, white boy and it bothered Dino.. I shouyld have just said he is a lousy announcer and stuck with that. Lesson learned,
Last edited by The Coooach on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:02 am
It is also important to remember there are 2 kinds of bigotry, institutional (apartheid, Nazis, Armenian genocide, slavery in our country) and individual. Neither is acceptable, and individual sets the climate for institutional. In a country where 95% of CEOs are still white men, the institutional prejudice still hold sway and the institutional prejudices favor white men. (Ask the 1 black and 1 Latino or 14 women senators if there isn't still profound and often unconscious institutional bigotry).

As for Fitz and Dung, whatever his motivation, it is fairly nauseating
you are a mensch for admitting error, Reginald. I would agree we all love the Warriors. Some would argue that makes us masochists
:wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:01 pm
migya wrote:
dino520 wrote:Migya..are you totally missing the point on purpose in an attempt to moderate? Yeah it`s about context and intent...if you have a (very) close black friend..you can probably get away with "Hey what`s up black man?" in a jocular familiar kinda way. Could you say the same thing to a black man you didn`t know without getting a strange look at the least? How about "What`s up black boy?"? I don`t think that`d fly either unless you were VERY close to that individual personally. And I still think you`d get a strange look. You wouldn`t yell "What`s up niggas?" at the mall would you? How about "What`s up black boy?" You wouldn`t say either of those things in a public place...and a chatroom/message board is a public place. And not only that..but the context in which he used the phrase WAS derogatory..and you know it. How about if I said one of the black players on the team was an ignorant uneducated black boy from the ghetto? How many seconds would pass before every member in here was all over me?

The fact is...most white people in America are afraid to criticize blacks about anything. But terms like honky..peckerwood and "white boy" aren`t funny anymore..and while some words are stronger than others in the amount of insult they convey..they`re all intentionally insulting.

And thanks Reginald for the apology..

I understand your point completely but we are not robots and the point is - What was the meaning and attitude behind the expression or name called. Was it meant as a real insult, either in an arguement or whatever, or was it just a casual way of getting the attention of the individual or individuals that the expression was aimed at.

Migya...excuse me, but are you reading the same thing I am? Or is your head in the sand? The expression "white boy" as used by Reginald..was used as an epithet. If you look up epithet in the dictionary..you`ll find words like contemptuous and disdainful and pejorative. Anybody reading that comment would have to conclude that the context and intent of his remarks were all of those things. Now it`s one thing to be contemptuous and disdainful in your remarks..but when you add the aspect of race to it..obviously it reflects an attitude of racial bias..prejudice or intolerance. Pick one..

In an age where virtually every critical comment by whites referring to any person of color (and especially blacks) is assumed to carry some element of racial bias (and of course that`s what Reginald`s comment was presuming about Fitz)...I think it`s way past due to level the playing field. If I say (in this context) that it`s time to "call a spade a spade"...will it be interpreted as a racial remark...or just an old American aphorism that intends no reference to race?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 pm
I know what you're gettingat Dino but I just see it for less than what you have.

Fitz definately does have a liking for dun, whether it is because he is white is an unknown

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 am
dino520 wrote:
migya wrote:
dino520 wrote:Migya..are you totally missing the point on purpose in an attempt to moderate? Yeah it`s about context and intent...if you have a (very) close black friend..you can probably get away with "Hey what`s up black man?" in a jocular familiar kinda way. Could you say the same thing to a black man you didn`t know without getting a strange look at the least? How about "What`s up black boy?"? I don`t think that`d fly either unless you were VERY close to that individual personally. And I still think you`d get a strange look. You wouldn`t yell "What`s up niggas?" at the mall would you? How about "What`s up black boy?" You wouldn`t say either of those things in a public place...and a chatroom/message board is a public place. And not only that..but the context in which he used the phrase WAS derogatory..and you know it. How about if I said one of the black players on the team was an ignorant uneducated black boy from the ghetto? How many seconds would pass before every member in here was all over me?

The fact is...most white people in America are afraid to criticize blacks about anything. But terms like honky..peckerwood and "white boy" aren`t funny anymore..and while some words are stronger than others in the amount of insult they convey..they`re all intentionally insulting.

And thanks Reginald for the apology..

I understand your point completely but we are not robots and the point is - What was the meaning and attitude behind the expression or name called. Was it meant as a real insult, either in an arguement or whatever, or was it just a casual way of getting the attention of the individual or individuals that the expression was aimed at.

Migya...excuse me, but are you reading the same thing I am? Or is your head in the sand? The expression "white boy" as used by Reginald..was used as an epithet. If you look up epithet in the dictionary..you`ll find words like contemptuous and disdainful and pejorative. Anybody reading that comment would have to conclude that the context and intent of his remarks were all of those things. Now it`s one thing to be contemptuous and disdainful in your remarks..but when you add the aspect of race to it..obviously it reflects an attitude of racial bias..prejudice or intolerance. Pick one..

In an age where virtually every critical comment by whites referring to any person of color (and especially blacks) is assumed to carry some element of racial bias (and of course that`s what Reginald`s comment was presuming about Fitz)...I think it`s way past due to level the playing field. If I say (in this context) that it`s time to "call a spade a spade"...will it be interpreted as a racial remark...or just an old American aphorism that intends no reference to race?

dino, I don't quite agree with your description of why I said what I did. It was not necessarily meant as a deraogatory term to Fitz. It was more of a descriptioon on why he differentiate between white and black athletes.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:25 am
migya wrote:

Again you have your head in the sand broe! What Chris Rock said is that there are black people - Civilised, peaceful, don't instigate anything with anyone
AND
There are Nigggers - "some" black people who go around starting trouble, with guns and weapons sometimes, and do not further society and others positively!

migya wrote:
Like Chris Rock said - There are black people and there are nigggers. Same with whites and asians and everyone! There are decent people and there are idiots!

Pure Ignorance :oops: I can't believe these insensitive ignorant analogy's of the N' Word that mod migya quotes and agree's with go ignored :banghead: migya you are truly clueless and have managed to outdo yourself from your last racially insensitive remark calling Shaq a Ape :banghead: I would like to hear dino, coltraning and Reginald's take....
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:53 am
Migya-- the whole purpose of the N word is derogatory. The N word is only used by blacks to greet each other.

Let's think of another example. "Asshole". You say "there are normal people and there are assholes". Well would you casually greet someone by saying "What's up, asshole?" No! So either a word is derogatory or it's not. The N word is, so get over it.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:25 am
John Patrick wrote:Migya-- the whole purpose of the N word is derogatory. The N word is only used by blacks to greet each other.

Let's think of another example. "Asshole". You say "there are normal people and there are assholes". Well would you casually greet someone by saying "What's up, asshole?" No! So either a word is derogatory or it's not. The N word is, so get over it.

I agree with Patrick and broe. The there is nothing redeeming about the N word. Plus, we all don't greet each other with that word. Matter of fact, only a small minority of very young, ignorant people use that word on a regular basis.

The Shaq/ape reference is uncalled for and insulting in the sense that blacks have been portrayed as apes or decendants of apes. That is why Howard Cosell got in trouble by refering to Dave Meggett of the New Yoork Giants and the Wahington Redskin receiver Gary Clark as little monkeys.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:55 am
John Patrick wrote:Migya-- the whole purpose of the N word is derogatory. The N word is only used by blacks to greet each other.

Couldn't agree more with you Patrick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:41 am
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:

Again you have your head in the sand broe! What Chris Rock said is that there are black people - Civilised, peaceful, don't instigate anything with anyone
AND
There are Nigggers - "some" black people who go around starting trouble, with guns and weapons sometimes, and do not further society and others positively!

migya wrote:
Like Chris Rock said - There are black people and there are nigggers. Same with whites and asians and everyone! There are decent people and there are idiots!

Pure Ignorance :oops: I can't believe these insensitive ignorant analogy's of the N' Word that mod migya quotes and agree's with go ignored :banghead: migya you are truly clueless and have managed to outdo yourself from your last racially insensitive remark calling Shaq a Ape :banghead: I would like to hear dino, coltraning and Reginald's take....

Really don't even think much about responding to your enclosed, narrow minded stupidity broe. You think my realistic view about the use of expressions is plain wrong, fine. Fact is it is true what I stated - The "N" word is sometimes used as offenseless expression.

Also, what Chris Rock's statement means is that a black person can act decently or can act stupid, he just used the N word as most of you call it instead of a word like idiot or dikhed.

I've explained the Shaq/Ape reference as just calling him a big lug but some people just see things like a poor blind man sees the moving car in front of him. :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:24 pm
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:

AND

migya wrote:

Really don't even think much about responding to your enclosed, narrow minded stupidity broe. You think my realistic view about the use of expressions is plain wrong, fine. Fact is it is true what I stated - The "N" word is sometimes used as offenseless expression.

Also, what Chris Rock's statement means is that a black person can act decently or can act stupid, he just used the N word as most of you call it instead of a word like idiot or dikhed.

I've explained the Shaq/Ape reference as just calling him a big lug but some people just see things like a poor blind man sees the moving car in front of him. :roll:
Are you purposely missing the point, who said anything about offenseless expression's :roll: That is not what you said, quoted or stated, quit trying to justify, distance yourself and switch up the issue.
Bottom line is your usage of the N' word IS offensive as well as your generalized ignorant definition that you've used :banghead: Dam you have nerve to talk about stupidity and call me narrow minded :crazy:
You are not accepting responsibility for your racially insensitive ignorance and trying to put it back on me and Chris Rock who is a black comedian talking tounge in cheek when you yourself wrote your own post....

I bet outside of this board around black people you wouldn't use the N' Word at all or in the context that you used it here period. Why :?: because it is offensive and you would get hurt :!: REAL TALK
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:35 pm
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:

AND

migya wrote:

Are you purposely missing the point, who said anything about offenseless expression's :roll: That is not what you said, quoted or stated, quit trying to justify, distance yourself and switch up the issue.
Bottom line is your usage of the N' word IS offensive as well as your generalized ignorant definition that you've used :banghead: Dam you have nerve to talk about stupidity and call me narrow minded :crazy:
You are not accepting responsibility for your racially insensitive ignorance and trying to put it back on me and Chris Rock who is a black comedian talking tounge in cheek when you yourself wrote your own post....

I bet outside of this board around black people you wouldn't use the N' Word at all or in the context that you used it here period. Why :?: because it is offensive and you would get hurt :!: REAL TALK

Guys, I believe that you are talking above each other and not really hearing (or reading) what the other person is saying (writing).

OG Broe, Migya lives in Australia, a country that does not have the same history nor legacy with race/slavery/genocide that we have in the US. Australia does not same sociological makeup as the US. The use of the N word may not be offensive in Australia (due in large part because of not having "Middle Passage" African immigration for the sole purpose of slavery.

Migya, OG Broe is coming at you from a US perspective. The N word is not acceptable in the US for a number of reasons, but mainly, because it is viewed as derogatory and hurtful.

As for African-Americans using the word, there are a number of issues here, including ignorance as well as a different suffix: ga vs. ger.

Guys, let's get back on talking about Warrior basketball. We bash each other enough while doing that, alone.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 pm
O.G. broe wrote:Pure Ignorance :oops: I can't believe these insensitive ignorant analogy's of the N' Word that mod migya quotes and agree's with go ignored

Do I sense a mutany being brewed up...? :mrgreen:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:45 pm
uptempo wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
migya wrote:

AND

migya wrote:

Guys, I believe that you are talking above each other and not really hearing (or reading) what the other person is saying (writing).

OG Broe, Migya lives in Australia, a country that does not have the same history nor legacy with race/slavery/genocide that we have in the US. Australia does not same sociological makeup as the US. The use of the N word may not be offensive in Australia (due in large part because of not having "Middle Passage" African immigration for the sole purpose of slavery.

Migya, OG Broe is coming at you from a US perspective. The N word is not acceptable in the US for a number of reasons, but mainly, because it is viewed as derogatory and hurtful.

As for African-Americans using the word, there are a number of issues here, including ignorance as well as a different suffix: ga vs. ger.

Guys, let's get back on talking about Warrior basketball. We bash each other enough while doing that, alone.

NIGGA, is a name that describes my ancestors. NIGGA, is a word lifeless teenagers who are committed to the streets use. NIGGA, is a word used by not only the racist out there, but their own people. NIGGA, is an insult to anyone and everyone regardless of your color. I understand this board is full of international members, but that word should not be said in here regardless of the circumstance. The last thing we need in here are racial problems over a word or two. This discussion is over. Stop with the "N" word talk and start thinking Warriors. The real issues should be talked about the Warriors, not this racial slur.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:56 pm
O.G. broe wrote:I bet outside of this board around black people you wouldn't use the N' Word at all or in the context that you used it here period. Why :?: because it is offensive and you would get hurt :!: REAL TALK

No I wouldn't but I understand how that expression can be used nonoffensively or as a simily to another expression like dikhed or arse hole.

If the "N" word is banished, then so should words like fatty or slob

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball