Fitzgerald - Dunleavy Interview

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:57 pm
We should just see if Garcia is consistent enough to continue. I think he is.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:05 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
cabarkapa wrote:
GSW2006 wrote:Now you know how I felt about Jeff Gar(Gay)cia all these years when he was and still is to this day, getting tons of credit and his ass kissed by announcers and blind 49er fans for being a 'great' QB when really it was all T.O. making Jeff look good.

What about the job hes doing in Philly? I'd say its pretty damn decent

Analysist are already starting to kiss Garcia's ass again because of how the Eagles are doing. They're facing some weak teams, and they are in the NFC.

Hey, Garcia is playing well for the Eagles. He just was in terrible teams at Cleveland and Detroit... I've always liked him, TO or not.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:02 am
I have no problems with Fitz and Jim and Barnett, but during last night's broadcast, I was getting sick and tired of looking at that "Big Win Probability" score they kept showing every 30 seconds in the fourth quarter. It was a cool feature at halftime, but when Fitz, Barnett and Glen Kuiper kept going back to it, it got old real quick.

And on that note, the whole second half, both Fitz and Barnett were using the term "probable" way too much. For example, "I bet the probability of Yao Ming scoring on the block is good." "The Warriors have a good probability to win this one with 1.3 seconds left." That was just not needed.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:09 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well hey, at least Fitz is better than the other analysts. Such as Hubie Brown, Bill Walton, ect. Those guys are just terrible. It's like a classroom when you hear them commentating. Now you wanna know who's the real deal, that'd be Tim Roye. He's a sav.

Fitz over Hubie? :shock:
as for Walton, it is so surreal it is highly entertaining...the shrooms have finally taken an irreversible toll on the aging deadhead
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:10 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:it is impossible to tell whether bob has any knowledge of the game because they always take the softball questions that 6 year olds sent on ask bob and jim. though it is pathetic that fitz doesn't know what an assist is

it's what he gives Dunleavy in an interview :wink:

ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:08 pm
zshook wrote:
tradedunleavy wrote:He always gives white guys more credit than the black guys. Pay attention.

That statement is just dumb.

The statement is not dumb. It is true that he falls into the old stereo type that blacks are athletic and whites are smart. zshook, If you watch the games you will notice that he badgers Pietrus and Monta mercilessly. while he gives Dunleavy and Murphy a pass. I have seen both Murphy and Dunleavy make some of the dumbest decisions and Fitz will routinely blame it on Pietrus or Monta. But like you say, it is not racist but I do believe it is cutural. Fitz loves Adonyls intelligence. Fitz respects the higher learned ball players (Murphy-Notre Dame , Fitz alma mater), (Dunleavy-Duke), (Foyle-Colgate). Monta, Pietrus, Biedrins, high schoolers. But what Fitz fell to realize is that those colleges don't equate to basketball IQ. Who in the NBA makes smarter decisions than Jason Kidd? Two years of playing basketball only at Cal. Graduating high school at 20 years old. Chris Webber, 1 year, Sahrif Abdur Rahim,1 year. Kevin Garnett, Rashard Lewis, Lebron James, high schoolers. Fitz is not a racist, just a pompous elites, never played any sports, last chosen in his gym class, well-to-do, suburb raised, white boy who is very ignorant in sports knowledge.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:13 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:
zshook wrote:
tradedunleavy wrote:He always gives white guys more credit than the black guys. Pay attention.

That statement is just dumb.

The statement is not dumb. It is true that he falls into the old stereo type that blacks are athletic and whites are smart. zshook, If you watch the games you will notice that he badgers Pietrus and Monta mercilessly. while he gives Dunleavy and Murphy a pass. I have seen both Murphy and Dunleavy make some of the dumbest decisions and Fitz will routinely blame it on Pietrus or Monta. But like you say, it is not racist but I do believe it is cutural. Fitz loves Adonyls intelligence. Fitz respects the higher learned ball players (Murphy-Notre Dame , Fitz alma mater), (Dunleavy-Duke), (Foyle-Colgate). Monta, Pietrus, Biedrins, high schoolers. But what Fitz fell to realize is that those colleges don't equate to basketball IQ. Who in the NBA makes smarter decisions than Jason Kidd? Two years of playing basketball only at Cal. Graduating high school at 20 years old. Chris Webber, 1 year, Sahrif Abdur Rahim,1 year. Kevin Garnett, Rashard Lewis, Lebron James, high schoolers. Fitz is not a racist, just a pompous elites, never played any sports, last chosen in his gym class, well-to-do, suburb raised, white boy who is very ignorant in sports knowledge.

I agree, it is cultural baggage, whether you want to call it racist or not, and so much of it is at an unconscious level. For instance, Steve Nash is rarely described as "athletic", but, by all accounts, he was so extraordinarily athletic that many who know him believe he could have been a pro in baseball, hockey or soccer as well. Other caucasians who are amazingly athletic include Kirilenko, Jason Williams and our own Biedrins, but that rarely gets discussed. Conversely, Lebron, Shaq and JKidd are extremely smart players, but we tend to hear about their "athleticism" or in Shaq's case, his bulk. Why? Magic and Kareem and Bill Russell are 3 of the smartest players who ever played the game, and yet their basketball intelligence is rarely discussed. One has to ask why. Why do we still hear about smarts and work ethic when white bball players are discussed, but it is all athleticism when it comes to blacks? Did anyone have more of a work ethic than MJ or Magic? I doubt it. I agree that some of Dung's decisions have been breathtakingly stupid on the court. It seems that his decision-making and recognition is a split second slow, a split second that is fatal at this level and that involves thinking. I think Fitz is a dutiful suburban white liberal who cuts slack to Dung, mainly cause he can identify with him.

ImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:32 pm
Another thing that`s dumb...is referring to white men as "white boys". I find it offensive, especially in the way that it`s usually used... derogatorily and an as epithet. You wouldn`t like the expression "black boy" now would you? Just something to think about.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:38 pm
dino520 wrote:Another thing that`s dumb...is referring to white men as "white boys". I find it offensive, especially in the way that it`s usually used... derogatorily and an as epithet. You wouldn`t like the expression "black boy" now would you? Just something to think about.

There definately is an imbalance in recent years where it is alright to use expressions like "white boy" but not alright to say "black man" or something. I don't find these names offensive, especially if they are not meant to be offensive. People just need to calm down.

Like Chris Rock said - There are black people and there are nigggers. Same with whites and asians and everyone! There are decent people and there are idiots!

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:02 pm
dino520 wrote:Another thing that`s dumb...is referring to white men as "white boys". I find it offensive, especially in the way that it`s usually used... derogatorily and an as epithet. You wouldn`t like the expression "black boy" now would you? Just something to think about.

I find any racial slurs offensive and a sign of a lazy mind. Did someone use the phrase white boys? I think Richard Pryor's revelation on the "n" word is far more observant than is Rock's...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:58 pm
coltraning wrote:

I find any racial slurs offensive and a sign of a lazy mind. Did someone use the phrase white boys? I think Richard Pryor's revelation on the "n" word is far more observant than is Rock's...

I'm not saying that peole should just casually use these expressions but with people you know, it can be alright. Making alot out of expressions just clouds people's minds to what real racism is, like not employing someone because of their skin colour. Words can be harmful but actions and attitudes are what really offend and oppress!

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:55 am
Someone asked if somebody here used the "white boy" expression..it was Reginald Lewis several posts back when he was describing Fitz`s background. Tho I have no idea how he happens to know those particular details. And his comments sounded kinda racially biased to me anyway. Nevertheless...the expression is offensive for the reasons I already stated. And it goes w/o saying that the use of racial epithets by any race indicates an "attitude"...And bad attitudes frequently lead to bad actions.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:32 am
migya wrote:I'm not saying that peole should just casually use these expressions but with people you know, it can be alright. Making alot out of expressions just clouds people's minds to what real racism is, like not employing someone because of their skin colour. Words can be harmful but actions and attitudes are what really offend and oppress!

Yeah, sometimes is more how people react to these expressions than real racism behind them. Some people just overreact when they hear them.

On the other side, and related to the employment point you bring up, migya. What do you all think about politics that force to hire, or at least consider, people from other backgrounds for a position? (I know it's the opposite of racism. In fact, it's done to prevent racism, but I don't think it works well).

For example, the NFL forces the teams to consider a candidate of a minority for any coaching position available. So, even if you know for certain who you want to have as your Head Coach, you're forced to interview other candidate for the position, even if only to follow the rules and you never take him as a serious option. How do those coaches that come from minorities feel when they get an interview just for the sake of it, knowing that the position is already awarded to someone else?. Ain't we going a bit too far with the anti-racism rules?
Last edited by TMC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 am
migya wrote:

There definately is an imbalance in recent years where it is alright to use expressions like "white boy" but not alright to say "black man" or something. I don't find these names offensive, especially if they are not meant to be offensive. People just need to calm down.

Like Chris Rock said - There are black people and there are nigggers. Same with whites and asians and everyone! There are decent people and there are idiots!
:shock: #-o Very offensive quote mod Migya, and I agree with you dino520 on the slur, I'm outta this wack ignorant insensitive thread...
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:27 am
TMC to partially answer your question some of those coaches wouldn't even get a interview or consideration otherwise, Good example Ron Washington and Dave Stewart was screwed over :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball