Monta Ellis, Troy Murphy & Adonal Foyle for Iverson?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:11 am
Warriors, Your Future is Now
http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_4837314

I really like this article by Dave Del Grande. I have been soaking up all this Iverson trade talk/rumors for the Warriors, reading a bunch of articles, watching & listening to sports news and was not sure where I stood, but now I know where I stand on this issue.

I say go for Iverson! I love Jason Richardson and I don't want to see him leave and I'm really impressed by Andres Biedrins as well and don't want to see him leave (a good big man is too valuable). BD would be nice to keep too. Del Grande said we can trade Richardson & Foyle or Davis & Biedrins, but I don't like those ideas...

so... I'll go with Del Grande's last option... Let's trade Monta Ellis, Troy Murphy & Adonal Foyle for Allen Iverson. Don't know if the 76ers will take it, but the money is all there. Yes, Monta has got tons of potential and will be a huge star for years to come, but come on... do we really wanna wait anymore for development. I don't. Plus Iverson with a great three years for... developing Monta I think is worth it. We will then not have to worry about giving Monta a contract and instead give our money to Biedrins who I think is way more valuable than Monta.

Davis, Iverson, Richardson, Diogu, Biedrins and Dunleavy & Pietrus off the bench... OH BOY!!! I really want this trade to go down... it is possible, but will it happen?

Thoughts?
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 am
Josh Jamison wrote:so... I'll go with Del Grande's last option... Let's trade Monta Ellis, Troy Murphy & Adonal Foyle for Allen Iverson. Don't know if the 76ers will take it, but the money is all there. Yes, Monta has got tons of potential and will be a huge star for years to come, but come on... do we really wanna wait anymore for development. I don't. Plus Iverson with a great three years for... developing Monta I think is worth it. We will then not have to worry about giving Monta a contract and instead give our money to Biedrins who I think is way more valuable than Monta.

Davis, Iverson, Richardson, Diogu, Biedrins and Dunleavy & Pietrus off the bench... OH BOY!!! I really want this trade to go down... it is possible, but will it happen?

Thoughts?

This trade is being discussed in other of the multiple threads we have about AI... although I can't remember which one.

As I said there (wherever it is), I'd love that trade. It works financially, we get the best player of the trade... losing Monta would hurt, but if we want to get AI, someone has to go (I mean someone good).

But... AI has apparently said he doesn't want to be a Warrior. I don't know why we are discussing trades for a player that doesn't want to be traded to our team.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:37 am
Personally, If i had to pick one of those trade scenarios, I'd give up Foyle and Richardson. Though i'd have to ponder on that to be ok with it.

The only trade scenario that i liked that worked with the money was: Murphy, Dunleavy, and Pietrus for iverson. Though the Sixers would have to be fools to take all that money on and run the risk of losing Pietrus after the season

It's me UR-NME just decided to change my name
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:41 am
System Error wrote:The only trade scenario that i liked that worked with the money was: Murphy, Dunleavy, and Pietrus for iverson. Though the Sixers would have to be fools to take all that money on and run the risk of losing Pietrus after the season

They would acquire the Bird rights over Pietrus in the trade, so they won't have any risk of losing him... but I don't think it makes much sense for Philly.

That trade would destroy their cap room, and wouldn't get a player that can replace AI's production. Also, none of those players have much upside.

That trade would be similar to the one we did for Baron... but, for AI, there will be a lot more suitors, which means better offers for Philly.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 am
I love the idea of getting rid of bad contracts like Murphy and Foyle, but I do not like getting rid of Monta Ellis. Perhaps I am a bit biased as he is my favorite player on the team, but I like his upside and I just fail to see how Baron and Iverson can effectively play together.

As I have said in other posts, I would be in favor of getting rid of Baron rather than Monta, but if we want to get rid of the bad contracts, Baron cannot be a part of that.

Finally, I do not see why Philly would want Murphy and Foyle's contracts. Murphy's does not run out until 2011 and Foyle's until 2010. Those are not expiring contracts and while Murphy could be a solid player for the Sixers, I fail to see how Foyle will make much of an impact with the Sixers for the next four seasons.

I think it is imperative that Mullin and the Warrior franchise not panic and make a trade they will later regret. The Warriors have not made the playoffs the last twelve seasons because they have not had the horses to do it. They did have some youngsters like Arenas and such and they let them go and in turn their playoff hopes for a few seasons.

Remember, the NBA is a league where it is very hard to turn a team around in a season or two. It takes time for players to develop, grow, improve and finally to sign a player or two to fit with the team. While the Chicago Bulls have underachieved thus far during this season, they are a good model. They have kept their young core, made the playoffs the last two seasons and added a big free agent in Ben Wallace. I know things are easier in the Eastern Conference at present time, but that will not always be the case for a Warriors team than can center their hopes around a 20-year old center and a 21-year old point guard.

We all want to see this team make the playoffs, but getting rid of Monta Ellis and/or Andris Beidrins is not a wise investment and even if a trade for Iverson is made, there is no guarantee this team will make the playoffs anyways.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:44 am
I never said it was practical.. LOL only the pipe dream i came up with that wouldn't hurt the warriors too badly..

Stop shattering my Fantasy World with your practicality and logic!!!!! :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:02 pm
System Error wrote:Stop shattering my Fantasy World with your practicality and logic!!!!! :mrgreen:

Oh, I see. Then I have one you'll like. Murphy, Dunleavy and Foyle for AI and the expiring contract of Todd McCulloch (who Philly's still paying). :mrgreen:
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:31 pm
TMC wrote:
System Error wrote:
Oh, I see. Then I have one you'll like. Murphy, Dunleavy and Foyle for AI and the expiring contract of Todd McCulloch (who Philly's still paying). :mrgreen:

McCulloch is still alive? :-o

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 pm
System Error wrote:
TMC wrote:

McCulloch is still alive? :-o

And getting paid... Go figure.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:07 pm
I don't get why everybody is so high on Monta Ellis. You guys realize that Monta Ellis is just a poor man's Allen Iverson right? They're identical players but Iverson is quicker, better shooter, and just an overall better player than Ellis. Yeah, maybe Ellis has potential but I doubt he'll average 31/7, at best, Ellis's career stat would be 25/6. And thats pushing it by alot.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:14 pm
BT wrote:Yeah, maybe Ellis has potential but I doubt he'll average 31/7, at best, Ellis's career stat would be 25/6. And thats pushing it by alot.

But for 10 more years than AI will do... Age's the issue, not talent.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 pm
TMC wrote:
BT wrote:Yeah, maybe Ellis has potential but I doubt he'll average 31/7, at best, Ellis's career stat would be 25/6. And thats pushing it by alot.

But for 10 more years than AI will do... Age's the issue, not talent.

and money owed

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 pm
and stability…monta's a team player

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:19 pm
Hell. No.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 am
I don't want to lose Monta but this is a tempting trade. Don't think the sixers would do it and personally, I would rather have Monta right now because he fits with Baron and JRich, not so sure Iverson would

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades