MOVIE REVIEWS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:35 am
^Gotta check that movie... It's been on my queue for a while, but most of the time I forget about it. I'll watch it soon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:15 pm
Ah yes, Cinderella Man was a boxing movie worth watching. Based on a true story back during the depression. Loved it. Gotta watch it TMC, don't know what you're missing out.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:46 pm
TMC wrote:
Blame it to my dislike of Adam Sandler (only "Spanglish" looked, well... palatable, and that's because he acted more seriously in his role. Less Adam Sandler, if you want), but I've never been truly entertained by this movie. It never "clicked" with me.

Oh, man how can you not like Adam Sandler? 'Spanglish' was trash - stupid overly-sentimental romantic comedy - don't bother. 'Click' was HORRIBLE. I seriously can't fathom how anyone could have enjoyed watching that movie. Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are classics. Big Daddy was ok and little nicky was pretty bad.

If you're looking for Adam Sandler in a serious role, check out 'Punch Drunk Love'. It's a great little independent movie from maybe 3 years ago that never got much play. It's pretty quirky and is beautifully shot. All in all, it's one of the best films I've seen in recent years.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:09 pm
Click was great! A real story of life! We all have different interpretations

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:If you're looking for Adam Sandler in a serious role, check out 'Punch Drunk Love'. It's a great little independent movie from maybe 3 years ago that never got much play. It's pretty quirky and is beautifully shot. All in all, it's one of the best films I've seen in recent years.

Gotta check that one, then. I've never even heard of it till now, but will check it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:56 am
THE DEPARTED - starring Jack Nicholson, Di Caprio...

For those that haven't watched this movie... DO IT NOW. Probably the most entertaining movie of the year so far. I didn't like Matt Damon, but Di Caprio (who I've never liked much) did a wonderful job with his character and Nicholson was superb. One of the funniest characters he has ever played...

About the plot, and without giving up too much (although I'm pretty sure most of you have already seen it), it's about two moles in opposite sides of the law that leak info to their bosses. Everybody knows those moles exists, but nobody knows who they are.

The cast can't get much better than this: Nicholso, Di Caprio, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg... and Scorsese directing it makes it a sure-fire hit.

On the bad side... it's a rip off of a Hong Kong movie ("Infernal Affairs"), with better, wittier dialogue and more budget... but the same scenes, and even misses a couple of great scenes from the original that would have been great to watch with the new cast (but probably would have made it too long, as it already runs around 2:30 hours).

Anyway, The Departed is the best movie of the year so far. If you like gangster movies, go watch it now. If you don't like them... well, watch this anyway.

PS: I promise that Cinderella Man will be the next one I'll see. Really.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:55 am
Going to see that movie this weekend

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 am
It's been a while since the last time we posted here, so I'll try to resurrect this thread.

I've already seen Cinderella Man. I won't post a full review, as it has already been done, and I agree with most of it. Good movie. Kept me entertained, and that was more than I expected, as I'm not really into boxing.

So, what now?. This:

HOTEL RWANDA- starring Don Cheadle and more people I've never heard about...

Not exactly a new movie, but a severely underrated one.

It tells the story of a hotel manager that, during his country's genocide, converts the hotel into a refugee camp of sorts. There he protects those people against the hate of the Hutus (being himself a Hutu, but married to a Tutsi).

The movie is not about the genocide, but about the story of those characters. Is not about history, but desperation. It doesn't even explain the main reasons for the genocide... but doesn't matter. That's not the point. The situations those characters go through are the point... and it never slows down. Don't expect to see a war movie, but one of survival.

On the other side...

POSEIDON- Kurt Russell and some f*ckers I don't know.

Meh.

Life would have been much nicer if this tape had never raised from the bottom of the ocean. Good for a nap, tho.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:11 pm
Hotel Rwanda was a great movie. Very depressing to see the events that happen in Rwanda. Just goes to show the lil things that go unnoticed are worth making into a movie.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 am
Sounds like a good movie. I will search for it soon

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:59 am
migya wrote:Sounds like a good movie. I will search for it soon

Do it. You won't regret it.

I already have the one baytobrooklyn mentioned (Punch Drunk Love). Haven't had time to watch it yet, but will do soon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:31 am
migya wrote:Sounds like a good movie. I will search for it soon

it is a very good movie
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 pm
Rocky Balboa - Starring Sylvester Stallone

The last of the Rocky movies is a very good one. The Rocky movies have always been about love and struggle to survive and overcome adversity and this one tops them all.

Rocky is close to 60 years old and way past it but still feels like he has got to do something to get rid of the hurt he feels inside. His wife Adrian has past away and he lives alone in a fairly old appartment, far from the riches he once had. He owns a pretty popular small restuarant and likes to tell some of his customers stories about his fights. His son is in his 20s and doesn't see him much and Rocky regrets this. Rocky runs into a woman who he knew when they were children, named Marie (little Marie) and they become close (nothing intimate is shown but it is the type of relationship that will get that way).

The current Heavyweight Boxing champion, Mason Dixon, is seen as a champion with no heart that has not faced tough competition. When ESPN run a simulation of Rocky in his prime v Dixon, Rocky wins out quite easily. This angers Dixon and makes Rocky wonder if he should fight just one more time.

Rocky ends up fighting the champion Dixon in an "exhibition fight" in what many see as somewhat of a joke as Rocky is way past it. Rocky Balboa ends up showing the heart and will that made him such a great champion and the fight goes the full distance. Dixon wins by split decision by 1 point!

A great movie about life and love that really makes you feel happy about overcoming hardships in life and successfully achieving goals.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:33 am
migya wrote:Rocky is close to 60 years old and way past it but still feels like he has got to do something to get rid of the hurt he feels inside.

It's called arthritis...

:mrgreen:

I've never been a big fan of Rocky movies... probably because I'm not a big fan of boxing.

btw, it was about time to start posting in this thread again. I had almost forgotten about it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:07 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Rocky is close to 60 years old and way past it but still feels like he has got to do something to get rid of the hurt he feels inside.

It's called arthritis...

:mrgreen:

I've never been a big fan of Rocky movies... probably because I'm not a big fan of boxing.

btw, it was about time to start posting in this thread again. I had almost forgotten about it.

This is a good thread!

I like the Rocky movies because of the comeback, underdog wins attitude

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum