IVERSON FINALLY DOES IT

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:32 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:Can't believe the TWolves would say this! They need Iverson more than most teams! Trading RDavis, MJames and someone else for Iverson should be enough and they would still have Foye and McCants coming through. Anyway.

Still think the Celts will make a hard push to get Iverson


they aren't allowed to trade mike james.



Is there a contract clause preventing the TWolves from trading MJames? That stuffs it because I reckon the sixers would be interested in James, RDavis and one more guy
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:45 pm
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:Can't believe the TWolves would say this! They need Iverson more than most teams! Trading RDavis, MJames and someone else for Iverson should be enough and they would still have Foye and McCants coming through. Anyway.

Still think the Celts will make a hard push to get Iverson


they aren't allowed to trade mike james.



Is there a contract clause preventing the TWolves from trading MJames? That stuffs it because I reckon the sixers would be interested in James, RDavis and one more guy

yep
ImageImage

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:10 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:Can't believe the TWolves would say this! They need Iverson more than most teams! Trading RDavis, MJames and someone else for Iverson should be enough and they would still have Foye and McCants coming through. Anyway.

Still think the Celts will make a hard push to get Iverson


they aren't allowed to trade mike james.



Is there a contract clause preventing the TWolves from trading MJames? That stuffs it because I reckon the sixers would be interested in James, RDavis and one more guy

yep


philly wants a really young and developing pg thats gonna shine in a year or too, and james might be too old for their standards

All Star
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 pm
Would the board be willing to trade Monta and Richardson for AI?

A backcourt of Baron and AI would be lethal! Pietrus could play both at the 2 and 3 positions, too.

I would hate to give up Monta; however, this team is not winning with him, and the chance to get an AI caliber superstar does not happen very often.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:30 pm
uptempo wrote:A backcourt of Baron and AI would be lethal!


For us. I'd hate to see that backcourt. Terrible idea. There's only one ball, after all...

Role Player
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:37 pm
uptempo wrote:Would the board be willing to trade Monta and Richardson for AI?

I would not give up on AI. After all, is this team going to win a championship this season or next? Probably not. That being said, why trade away a cornerstone to your team by giving up a 20-year-old Ellis and a high-flying player like Richardson for a 31-year-old Iverson who is not going to be able to keep up his level of play for the next three to five seasons?

The future is NOT now for this Warriors team. A goal of making the playoffs this season is great, but anything beyond that is asking too much. Progressing in the NBA is about taking steps each season. If the Warriors can resign their young talent like Biedrins, Ellis and bring in a few players here and there over the next three to five years, perhaps this team can compete for a title. However, even with an Iverson this team would not be winning NBA titles.

Lastly, as someone else mentioned, there is only one ball to shoot and with Iverson and Baron Davis on the floor together, no one else would get to shoot and this is a recipe for disaster.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:29 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:
uptempo wrote:Would the board be willing to trade Monta and Richardson for AI?

I would not give up on AI. After all, is this team going to win a championship this season or next? Probably not. That being said, why trade away a cornerstone to your team by giving up a 20-year-old Ellis and a high-flying player like Richardson for a 31-year-old Iverson who is not going to be able to keep up his level of play for the next three to five seasons?

The future is NOT now for this Warriors team. A goal of making the playoffs this season is great, but anything beyond that is asking too much. Progressing in the NBA is about taking steps each season. If the Warriors can resign their young talent like Biedrins, Ellis and bring in a few players here and there over the next three to five years, perhaps this team can compete for a title. However, even with an Iverson this team would not be winning NBA titles.

Lastly, as someone else mentioned, there is only one ball to shoot and with Iverson and Baron Davis on the floor together, no one else would get to shoot and this is a recipe for disaster.

yeah - no coexistence between BD and AI....
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:00 pm
I think it is highly unrealistic to expect Cohan to pay up the nose for luxury tax for Biedrins and Ellis for a crap team. It does seem certain Philly wants both J-Rich and Ellis for AI and the Warriors have a lot of money tied to unproductive players. San Antonio has maxed out Duncan, gave good contracts to Parker and Ginobili and has played musically chairs with position players to make room for the salary cap. By far our biggest contracts, Foyle, J-Rich, Murphy, and Dunleavy have been our biggest disappointments for this year. The name of the game is to do whatever it takes to unload your bad contracts and give up a decent player or two to make it happen. I like Ellis at 1 Million per year, at 10Million per year he becomes a salary cap busting liability who can't pass and makes a lot of turnovers.

All Star
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:12 pm
dareedle wrote:I think it is highly unrealistic to expect Cohan to pay up the nose for luxury tax for Biedrins and Ellis for a crap team. It does seem certain Philly wants both J-Rich and Ellis for AI and the Warriors have a lot of money tied to unproductive players. San Antonio has maxed out Duncan, gave good contracts to Parker and Ginobili and has played musically chairs with position players to make room for the salary cap. By far our biggest contracts, Foyle, J-Rich, Murphy, and Dunleavy have been our biggest disappointments for this year. The name of the game is to do whatever it takes to unload your bad contracts and give up a decent player or two to make it happen. I like Ellis at 1 Million per year, at 10Million per year he becomes a salary cap busting liability who can't pass and makes a lot of turnovers.


Your analysis is correct; however, I am failing to see your point. Please elaborate.

With AI and BD in the backcourt, no team in the NBA could stop the Warriors' backcourt! As wierd as this may sound, AI in the open court will also make Dunleavy a better player for Dunleavy will now be able to either handle the ball on the break and get it to AI for a finish or run the floor with AI handling the ball and Dunleavy finishing. Richardson's only deficiency as a player is his ball handling ability on the break. I also believe that AI would thrive under Nelson much the same way that Van Exel did (in no way am I comparing Van Exel's skill level with AI's) in Dallas under Nelson. Offensively minded players, especially backcourt players excel playing for Nelson. I would love to see us get a player who would put the fear of God into teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, and Kings. BTW, if Sacramento gets AI, I will be pissed off!

Role Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Fremont
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:13 pm
The only trade I would be supportive of would be something like Baron+MP for AI or something along those lines. No way we trade monta for two reasons hes a budding star and no way in hell does a backcourt of AI and Baron work. One way or another somethings gonna go wrong there.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:34 pm
uptempo wrote:Would the board be willing to trade Monta and Richardson for AI?

A backcourt of Baron and AI would be lethal! Pietrus could play both at the 2 and 3 positions, too.

I would hate to give up Monta; however, this team is not winning with him, and the chance to get an AI caliber superstar does not happen very often.


The 76er's aren't winning with AI either...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:43 pm
Dubs4life wrote:The only trade I would be supportive of would be something like Baron+MP for AI or something along those lines. No way we trade monta for two reasons hes a budding star and no way in hell does a backcourt of AI and Baron work. One way or another somethings gonna go wrong there.

what he said
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:52 pm
uptempo wrote:Would the board be willing to trade Monta and Richardson for AI?

NO!!!! and the contracts wouldn't work

A backcourt of Baron and AI would be lethal! Pietrus could play both at the 2 and 3 positions, too.

there's only one ball

I would hate to give up Monta; however, this team is not winning with him

yeah, because young budding stars being paid less than a million are so detrimental. as opposed to old declining superstars being paid twenty million

ImageImage

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:55 pm
sixers has publically stated that AI's locker has been cleaned out and the name tag is out.....matter of hours, minutes, seconds?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:57 pm
It's really up in the air. Hope it's not us...
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests