Missed it by that much!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 pm
what jumps out at me is that the Ws are 0 and 5 in games decided by 4 points or less. Flip the script by 20 total points and they would be 15-6 right now. Is that coaching? Is it Baron? What? Isn't this exactly what we (and I include myself) were beating up on Montgomery for last year??? I don't have a conclusion here, but what the HELL is going on? :evil:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:39 pm
I think it's, on one side, injuries. I'm pretty sure most players would name J-Rich as the go-to guy at the end of games. Well, he ain't playing, so that's a problem.

Second, Baron, who seems to be the leader of the team, is a weird player. Seems like the less he thinks, the best he plays. Obviously, not the best trait to be a clutch player.

And finally, the rest of the guys. Ellis looks like the best prospect... but he's just that. We cannot expect him to win all the close games for us (at least, not yet). And I can't see any other guy taking over a game in the final minutes.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:21 pm
coltraning wrote:I don't have a conclusion here, but what the HELL is going on? :evil:

I will take a stab at this and say DEFENSE. I have compiled some stats thanks to www.82games.com and come up with a few conclusions.

* The offense is not that bad. The Warriors are averaging 104.7 points per game and shooting 47.7% from the field. A team shooting that well should be winning more games. 62% of the Warriors points are coming off jump shots and long range shots. That is about average for the league.

* The defense is awful. Zone, man, they have both been weak this season for the Warriors. They are giving up 104.9 points per game to the opponents and their defensive field goal percentage is 45.9%. That is not good.

So, you have a team that is fairly good offensively and a team that is subpar defensively. In other words, if the offense is not clicking as it was not in the second half last night, the defense is not going to be able to pick up the slack. That is a problem.

Don Nelson needs to teach this team more about defense and less about offense. With players like Monta, Baron, a healthy Jason Richardson and an emerging Andris Beidrins, this team has a number of offensive options. What it does not have is a defensive stopper or more importantly, a solid team defense. This must change.

We all like to complain about bad shots taken and such, which happens a lot late in games, but what we should be bitching about is the few number of times the Warriors get a stop late in games. Winning late in games is not only about putting the ball in the basket, but more importantly, is stopping the opposition from scoring. Until the Warriors learn how to stop teams and start playing fundamentally sound team defense, the blow-bys, the breakdowns on the perimeter and the easy, wide-open looks we saw last night against the Sonics will cost this team games.

Okay, sorry for the long post, but I am going to take this one step further....our perimeter defense is horrible. No one closes out effectively and no one can get a hand in and contest shots effectively either. Opponents are scoring 46.8 points from outside shots. That is a lot of points. As we saw last night, professional players will make open jump shots. All too often opposing players are wide open. Instead of defending those jump shooters, the Warriors are just watching and hoping they miss. The Warrior perimeter defenders need to running at and contesting jump shots all game long. This is not happening enough and in turn teams are able to go on extended runs against this mediocre defense.

Yes, we have some problems offensively with Baron taking bad shots now and there, relying too much on jump shots, lack of an inside presence, and some injuries, but unless this team buckles down and learns to defend and wants to defend, this team is going nowhere fast. Nellie needs to get this team playing some defense in a hurry. Once again, sorry for the long post.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm
:D
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:51 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:I will take a stab at this and say DEFENSE.

Yeah, but, for a Nellie team, that's a given. I didn't expect defense to win us any game...

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:19 pm
TMC wrote:

Yeah, but, for a Nellie team, that's a given. I didn't expect defense to win us any game...

Sorry TMC, I do not buy that. You hire a coach to help your team win games. If the team needs to improve on defense to win games, a coach must do everything in his power to help the team improve in that area of the game. Even Nellie must see that the defense needs major improvement.

Yes, Nellie is an offensive-minded coach, but he surely know a few things about defense. Hell, he has won 1200 games.

So, are just going to give Nellie a free pass on the team's abysmal defense and just hope and pray they shoot over 50% each game? I am not sure if one can find a bigger problem than the Warriors defense through the first 21 games.

Are you satisfied with the defense? What do you see as the problem(s)?

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:39 pm
TMC wrote:

Actually i agree. All of nellys teams depended on offense, offensive strategy and intelligence to win games. They knew that for each point the opposing team would score, we would score more. Name one good defender we had under nelly that didn't just didn't stand in the center under the basket.(victor alexander)
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:25 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:So, are just going to give Nellie a free pass on the team's abysmal defense and just hope and pray they shoot over 50% each game? I am not sure if one can find a bigger problem than the Warriors defense through the first 21 games.

Are you satisfied with the defense? What do you see as the problem(s)?

It's not exactly that. I'd love to have a defense-first team, but that ain't going to happen with this roster. I'm far from satisfied with the defense (hell, I hate the complete lack of defense we show at times).

It's a matter of working the system to the strengths of the players, and I think we would be taking the wrong approach if we want to win games through defense with this group of players. It's better to work with them to win outscoring the opponents. If we're going to preach defense, we'll have to make several trades to make it work.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:27 pm
I am kinda with TMC and co on this. Hiring Nelson to do defense is kinda like dating pamela Anderson for the penetrating analysis of Kant and Kierkegaard :wink: Take a look at the Phoenix Suns. Their premise is that we will outscore you and a 120-118 win is just as valuable as a 80-78 win. The Ws have a few players who can be good defenders: Pietrus, Biedrins, Ellis, but their strength is in outscoring the oppositon ala Phoenix.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:16 pm
It's true. Those steals are what sparks our fast breaks. We need perimeter defense, and the sad truth is: we are not going to outscore anyone on the half-court set.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:51 pm
I am not suggesting the Warriors quit running and play a half court offensive game, but I do think if the team were to buckle down defensively some, specifically in the fourth quarter of games, that more of these close games would have gone the Warriors games.

I am aware that Nellie is not going to coach a defensive first team, but it is also important to remember that all teams, even offensive ones need to make stops in key situations.

My problem is that players on the Warriors do not seem to be in sync together as a defensive unit and that must change. If the Warrior players simply know a philosphy, know when to play help defense, know their rotations, etc, I think this team can improve. And in all honesty, I do not think that is asking too much from Nellie and his staff to teach this team to play basic team defense.

Now, we could go into further debate about Nellie and his pros, cons and what he does and does not do for the Warriors. But, I would rather not get into that......at least not tonight. Perhaps we can discuss that one later in the season.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:09 am
As thorough as you were Tom, Nellie is not a preacher of defense. His emphasis and work ethic all target the offense. Defense is something the Warriors do every now and then, and they will most likely play it when Nelson has to hold some type of drill and mini camp teaching how to play it. What I'm trying to say is that we are just like the Suns, but we just do not have the type of veteran ship and leadership to finish a game. Defense does not mean much in Nellie's system, it shows. What shows more is the inability to close out a game.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:06 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Defense does not mean much in Nellie's system, it shows. What shows more is the inability to close out a game.

I guess this is my point....I am not asking the team to change their system and break away from the running and gunning of Nellie ball, but I do think that if the team can get some stops in the fourth quarters of games, some of these close games the Warriors have been losing could turn into wins.

Even the Suns attempt to defend in the fourth quarter. They might not defend as well as other teams, but they make an attempt to get stops. They have Raja Bell, a solid perimeter defender who works his tail off on the defensive end of the floor. The Warriors have no defensive stopper and no one has stepped up to want this role either.

This is my last comment....the way things are going right now, the Warriors will finish right around .500 for the season which is an improvement, but this team could be and should be better than that. Unless they decide to devote some time to defense once in a while in practice, they will not reach the level of potential I and maybe others see for them.

Return to Warriors Basketball