Game Thread: Warriors @ Seattle SuperSonics 2006-12-10

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the Warriors continue their winning streak to two?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:12 am

YES
57%
NO
43%

Total votes : 7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:46 pm
Nate Is Great

One of the finest human beings on the planet ... in my opinion, of course.

Add Al Attles to that list as well.

And Franklin Mieuli for good measure.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 am
Dubs4life wrote:Wow. I was listening to the game in the first half and thought we were playing well. I had to finish up some stuff so i turned it off and I just know looked at the final score on ESPN. Wow how do we lose to a ray allen-less sonics thats pretty pathetic. The even more disappointing part is we were up by 16 at the half! what the hell!

You said it! Very disappointing and a game that almost HAD to be won! Like I said, it was a danger game

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:18 am
This sums it up, 72 points in the first half and 43 in the second half. The Warriors gave up 56 in the first half and 61 in the second. In essence, the Warriors were terrible offensively and defensively in the second half while the Sonics got hot in the second half and picked apart the zone defense of the Warriors.

A few obervations:

1. What is up with Baron and Monta? At the beginning of the season these two were like two peas in a pod. They were in sync, they passed to one another and the last few games, I rarely if ever see Baron pass the ball to Monta in a position to let him score. Yes, he threw him an alley oop last night, but outside of that, I do not remember when Monta received a pass from Baron in an attacking position. Does anyone else see this or am I just imagining things?

2. Playing Nellie ball as this team is, I wonder sometimes if this young team understands the idea of what is a good shot on offense. As someone else mentioned, in the second half at least half the shots being taken were one-on-one pull up jumpers which as we all know are not good shots. In the first half, it was evident that the Warriors were making the extra pass to find the open man. Yes, they were making their shots in the first half, but they were open shots and most of them were within the flow of the offense. This team must understand good from bad when it comes to shot selection or we will see more and more erratic and inconsistent performances.

3. Why did Nellie stick with the zone in the fourth quarter? The Sonics carved up the zone in the third quarter and cut the 16-point halftime lead to nothing in that quarter. I think Nellie would have been wise to go man-to-man and guard the perimeter better. The threes from Ridnour and the garbage baskets from Damien Wilkins were daggers in the fourth quarter. The zone was not working at all.

4. I understand Roberson is the Warriors instant offense guy, but if he is not hitting, he has not business being in the game. He took at least two or three ill-advised shots down the stretch. See point #2 above about shot selection. On top of that, he was not hitting and he stayed in the game. He was worthless. Yes, the Warriors needed offense, but they were still within five points with six minutes to go in the game. I would think that might be a time to buckle down defensively rather than bring in a no-defense sharpshooter. I just thought bringing in Roberson was not a smart move.

Overall, like most of you, I am not happy with the result of this game. It was very, very disappointing. I hope the Warriors can get things going again with a win over the Kings tomorrow night.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:08 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:why do you love the sonics so much? they don't have any spaniards to my knowledge (since that's why you love the blazers and grizz)

Once again, I don't love the Blazers or Grizz. Just some specific players of their rosters. In fact, I don't really care much about those teams. And it's not about spaniards, either. Actually, some of them suck (like Raul Lopez, who I never really liked, not in Utah, not here) and others are just role players (like Calderon) who are good enough to play a backup role, but not much else.

Sergio Rodriguez is a different case. I've seen him for a while and really think he can be much more than that. A starter (not now, but in a couple of years)... and with potential to become a top 10 pg. POTENTIAL, which also means that he could be out of the league in three years.

About the Sonics (I think I told the reason in other thread, but whatever...), I've liked that team since the Payton and Kemp days, under George Karl. Why?. Probably the same reason Colt and you like the Suns. They played the kind of bball I enjoy the most... They became my second team then.

And this Sonics team that everybody hates so much, in fact, and players by player, it's better than the team that won the division two years ago. Only real issue is the coaching. Losing McMillan was a big blow to Seattle... and it shows in their record (coincidentally, same as ours).
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 am
ChicagoTom wrote:This sums it up, 72 points in the first half and 43 in the second half. The Warriors gave up 56 in the first half and 61 in the second. In essence, the Warriors were terrible offensively and defensively in the second half while the Sonics got hot in the second half and picked apart the zone defense of the Warriors.

A few obervations:

1. What is up with Baron and Monta? At the beginning of the season these two were like two peas in a pod. They were in sync, they passed to one another and the last few games, I rarely if ever see Baron pass the ball to Monta in a position to let him score. Yes, he threw him an alley oop last night, but outside of that, I do not remember when Monta received a pass from Baron in an attacking position. Does anyone else see this or am I just imagining things?

2. Playing Nellie ball as this team is, I wonder sometimes if this young team understands the idea of what is a good shot on offense. As someone else mentioned, in the second half at least half the shots being taken were one-on-one pull up jumpers which as we all know are not good shots. In the first half, it was evident that the Warriors were making the extra pass to find the open man. Yes, they were making their shots in the first half, but they were open shots and most of them were within the flow of the offense. This team must understand good from bad when it comes to shot selection or we will see more and more erratic and inconsistent performances.

3. Why did Nellie stick with the zone in the fourth quarter? The Sonics carved up the zone in the third quarter and cut the 16-point halftime lead to nothing in that quarter. I think Nellie would have been wise to go man-to-man and guard the perimeter better. The threes from Ridnour and the garbage baskets from Damien Wilkins were daggers in the fourth quarter. The zone was not working at all.

4. I understand Roberson is the Warriors instant offense guy, but if he is not hitting, he has not business being in the game. He took at least two or three ill-advised shots down the stretch. See point #2 above about shot selection. On top of that, he was not hitting and he stayed in the game. He was worthless. Yes, the Warriors needed offense, but they were still within five points with six minutes to go in the game. I would think that might be a time to buckle down defensively rather than bring in a no-defense sharpshooter. I just thought bringing in Roberson was not a smart move.

Overall, like most of you, I am not happy with the result of this game. It was very, very disappointing. I hope the Warriors can get things going again with a win over the Kings tomorrow night.

nice post, Chi-Tom. I would add on that the Ws lack of any consistent inside scoring is what kills them when their shot goes dead. The huge difference between this year's suns and last year's is that on those (rare) occasions when Nash can dribble and dish and their ridiculous outisde shooting goes cold, they have Amare, who is unstoppable inside. We have no one like him, but with a healthy Ike and JRich, the Diogu/Biedrins/Richardson combo going inside would keep defenses more honest in crunch time. Games are also won and lost at the line, and inside play draws fouls, so we are also getting killed that way. I believe that is the single biggest factor for our late game collapses, no inside scoring presence. Forced to chuck up outside shots. Right now, when Dung and flower forward murphy are on the court, Biedrins is the only inside option, and he is still developing other moves. Lastly, I think BD may be freezing out Monta, but there is no doubt that he is haphazard as to when he will drive and dish...I am guessing it is a reluctance to get injured again.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:54 am
didn't see the game, but the progression is familiar.

1.) Warriors take a lead into halftime and maybe into the 3rd quarter.

2.) other team figures out the Warriors plan and counters.

3.) The coach tries a counter strategy but the Warriors players are prevented from doing what they do best and start to improvise.

4.) The Warriors start jacking up 3s and the other team becomes a rebounding machine.

5.) Individual warrior players try to "step up" and be the hero trying to bring the team back.

6.) Warriors collapse and lose.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Previous

Return to Game Threads