Our Real Problems

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:04 pm
Can we all be real about what the real problems of the Warriors are...

1) An at best 70% JRich

2) An unathletic, non-blocking out, one-dimensional Murph

3) An inexperienced, streaky shooting, turnover prone Monta

4) A streaky shooting, no dribbling, foul-a-minute Pietrus

5) A will-he-or-will-he-not show up Dun

6) Having to rely on Barnes to consistently produce

7) BD coming back from a rib injury after kicking ass in the 1st month.

8. Andris with no developed back-to-the-basket go to move...and I ain't talking about picking up garbage points or getting dimed by BD.

9) It's Nelson playing SO MUCH ZONE. If we're going to get scored on, let's at least do it playing man. At least our rebounding assignments will be clear. We LET teams shoot 3's - wide open. These ain't recreational players. These are pros who will knock down the open 3. Look at that dude from Mil - who's Bell??? what he hit, 6 3's? WTF? What about the other Bell, Raja, that killed us. What are we doing playing zone against Phoenix?

These are our problems, plain n simple...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:13 pm
I think this sums up our problems

1) Shitty luck
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:33 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I think this sums up our problems

1) Shitty luck

No. We have problems fo sho. But they can be ironed out, even during this season (except maybe the Dun problem).
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:36 pm
aletha33 wrote:Can we all be real about what the real problems of the Warriors are...

1) An at best 70% JRich

8. Andris with no developed back-to-the-basket go to move...and I ain't talking about picking up garbage points or getting dimed by BD.

9) It's Nelson playing SO MUCH ZONE. If we're going to get scored on, let's at least do it playing man. At least our rebounding assignments will be clear. We LET teams shoot 3's - wide open. These ain't recreational players. These are pros who will knock down the open 3. Look at that dude from Mil - who's Bell??? what he hit, 6 3's? WTF? What about the other Bell, Raja, that killed us. What are we doing playing zone against Phoenix?

I don't agree that we're getting killed from 3pt range.
These numbers (opp. 3pt) 139-407 is okay.

It's been bad recently but so has everything else. They played zone early on as well.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm
Actually I think number 5 would be "A he-will-not show up Dun".

Other than that, the Warriors do have problems. But we are young and inexperienced at many things. What are going to expect?... even with a great coach in Nelson, things won't change just like that.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I think this sums up our problems

1) Shitty luck

my point is that most of the problems are nitpicking, our main problem is that we're insanely injury prone.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:19 am
aletha33 wrote:Can we all be real about what the real problems of the Warriors are...

1) An at best 70% JRich

not to mention Ike getting the worst sprained ankle in the history of sports...he must have torn it.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:59 am
Major problem seems to be inability to reproduce what worked! Look back at a game where the team performed well and take notes from that

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:01 am
migya wrote:Major problem seems to be inability to reproduce what worked! Look back at a game where the team performed well and take notes from that

The problem is that other teams take notes as well. It ain't as easy as trying to play always the way once worked. And it gets much more complicated when injuries happen.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:19 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Major problem seems to be inability to reproduce what worked! Look back at a game where the team performed well and take notes from that

The problem is that other teams take notes as well. It ain't as easy as trying to play always the way once worked. And it gets much more complicated when injuries happen.

But surely the team has forsaken the way they played earlier in the season the last few games

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 am
cladden wrote:

1) An at best 70% JRich

I don't agree that we're getting killed from 3pt range.
These numbers (opp. 3pt) 139-407 is okay.

It's been bad recently but so has everything else. They played zone early on as well.

I can attribute at least 2 losses due to the fact that nelson stayed in his customary zone - it's a bad defense to run 100% of the time. I can understand mixing it in here and there, maybe 50% man -50% zone. But, as I said, these are pros who will knock down the 3 and carve apart a zone d.

Not to mention our defenders don't have rebounding assignments. AND, add to the fact that NO ONE seems to understand the necessity to block out, AND, and to the fact that we have for the most part an undersized, out-muscled, and unathletic front-line (see murph)...

ease up on the zone

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:14 am
Our only long term problem is an organizational mindset about not playing defense. No one, from the top down, cares one bit about playing "in your face, one on one" defense.

What really blows me away is watching Monta standing straight up and having slower guards blow right by him. No one ever taught this kid the fundamentals of man to man defense. Trying to shade players one way or another to force them inside is a joke. We don't have the Shaq of old to play defense this way. I wish someone would make them just stay in front of their man and also teach them how to block that man off the boards as well.

They need to make each man responsible for his man. It needs to start with Baron since he is supposedly our leader. Until this happens, we will never make the playoffs in this division.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 pm
jsw548 wrote:Our only long term problem is an organizational mindset about not playing defense. No one, from the top down, cares one bit about playing "in your face, one on one" defense.

What really blows me away is watching Monta standing straight up and having slower guards blow right by him. No one ever taught this kid the fundamentals of man to man defense. Trying to shade players one way or another to force them inside is a joke. We don't have the Shaq of old to play defense this way. I wish someone would make them just stay in front of their man and also teach them how to block that man off the boards as well.

They need to make each man responsible for his man. It needs to start with Baron since he is supposedly our leader. Until this happens, we will never make the playoffs in this division.

there goes the baron reference again when things don't go well...

how can it start with baron when they play a zone? and when they're in a zone, nelson prefers to have someone long and lanky on the top of the 1-2-2...matt barnes (yikes) or pietrus...

but i agree with monta standing straight up...not only on D, but on offense when he has the ball...him and jrich aren't in athletic positions to penetrate at will...

and the blocking out...you should hear some of the people in this board, how great a rebounder murph is... he's by far the worse non-blocking out offender.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:14 pm
Defense has always been an issue and until it is addressed and resolved properly, nothing great will happen here. There are athletes on the team so there is potential to be a great defensive team

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:37 pm
well...

I think Defense is the major issue

But the list u came up with is very very good..

keep up the good work and come up something like.. why are we winning more games than last year....

or

why is the GSW good at...

lol.. be more positive!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball