Game Thread: Indiana Pacers @ Warriors 2006-11-29

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors continue their winning ways against the Pacers?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:05 pm

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes : 13

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:08 pm
I think, based on what I saw in this game, the Warriors just lost because of certain miscues and mistakes. Like for one, the Warriors kept the Pacers in the game when they were miserable from the field. They had 3 chances to extend that 10 point lead, but instead, they let the Pacers hang around. Also the Warriors weren't getting the hoop. Only 1/2 at the line before the half. The Pacers were playing defense, I understand, but that makes no reason to keep shooting jump shot after jump shot... and worse of all, missing 'em. The Warriors also had plays that should've been automatic. Like the Monta layup on the fast break. O'Neal had 5 fouls. One more and he'd be out. Monta seemed scared or something.

And of course most of all, those horrible calls by the refs. I noticed way too many stupid calls. Most noticable would be the Dunleavy layup. And no one should make an excuse for them missing it. If not the referee under the basket, then it should've been the trailing officials. And looking at the replay, all 3 were looking at the basket. They were not blind, this is just merely a respect issue. The Warriors get absolutely no respect by the refs on most of the calls. This is a major issue and should be brought up by the organization. If I was at the game, I'd surely yell at the refs Nelson style.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:10 pm
#32 wrote:
ChicagoTom wrote:However, when you have a guy like Monta Ellis who has scored 13 points in the fourth quarter on jumpers and quick drives to the hoop and you do not even let him touch the ball in the last minute, I have a problem with that.

I don't.

Inconsistency is not something you need in a close game. Although the first 3 quarters of THIS game wasn't the hollocaust that Monta displayed against San Antonio, it was still the same design: inconsistent and rushed.

For some reason, Ellis is having a real tough time getting it going before the 4th quarter. Some of you might remember Richardson having this same problem last season; going 2 for 9, than exploding in the 4th to make the game closer. The result is a 20-point game on a stat-sheet... but those watching know better. Ellis had another amazing 4th... and another lackluster start.

I don't trust Monta Ellis yet; that's the simple truth. The kid's a spark plug, he's amazing on some nights, and he's flashing brilliance more and more... but I just don't trust the kid with a last minute shot yet. I love the fact that he WANTS to take those shots; but I still think he's too immature. By midseason, my opinion will have changed... but I don't think he'll be capable of (consistently) putting up those complete superstar showings until we're 40 games out.

I think Don Nelson agree's with me. I think that's why Nelly's not running buzzer-beaters to Ellis yet. If he misses them too early, it'll crush his confidence... and Nelly's trying to create a star here. For that reason, I'm glad the play was running to Baron.

You know. 14 points through 3 quarters is pretty good. On par to above his season average even if he'd just continued the same way. Not to say that he hasn't shown signs of inconsistency so far but I didn't really see so much of it against the Pacers.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:58 am
Also, a touch off-topic, but I have seen baron do this a lot. it is getting REALLY old to watch the one swaggering stud freeze the ball at the top of the arc as time runs down, then goes mano a mano, while everyone else develops paralysis...god forbid they run a play as a team...I saw it again with Wade at the end vs Detroit (he missed). I think Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and Detroit are the only 4 teams that don't try that tired predictable I wanna be like Mike streetball crap at the end of quarters and, hmmm, just 4 of the teams with the best records the past 4 years...coincidence? 8)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:13 am
coltraning wrote:Also, a touch off-topic, but I have seen baron do this a lot. it is getting REALLY old to watch the one swaggering stud freeze the ball at the top of the arc as time runs down, then goes mano a mano, while everyone else develops paralysis...god forbid they run a play as a team...I saw it again with Wade at the end vs Detroit (he missed). I think Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and Detroit are the only 4 teams that don't try that tired predictable I wanna be like Mike streetball crap at the end of quarters and, hmmm, just 4 of the teams with the best records the past 4 years...coincidence? 8)

You said it right. A guy driving and dishing to a guy cutting alongside him would be a nice diversion like move. One guy driving it himself is the least complicated play there is because it makes the defense react and can open up opportunities for teammates

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am
coltraning wrote:Also, a touch off-topic, but I have seen baron do this a lot. it is getting REALLY old to watch the one swaggering stud freeze the ball at the top of the arc as time runs down, then goes mano a mano, while everyone else develops paralysis...god forbid they run a play as a team...I saw it again with Wade at the end vs Detroit (he missed). I think Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and Detroit are the only 4 teams that don't try that tired predictable I wanna be like Mike streetball crap at the end of quarters and, hmmm, just 4 of the teams with the best records the past 4 years...coincidence? 8)

I think I've seen Dallas throw the ball to Dirk and let him go one on one as time expires quite a couple of times.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:09 am
cladden wrote:

I think I've seen Dallas throw the ball to Dirk and let him go one on one as time expires quite a couple of times.

Thats what I was gonna say; you can almost bank on Dirk getting the ball for Dallas.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:25 am
cladden wrote:

Just not on the fourth quarter. He'd miss 8 of 10 with the game on the line.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:05 am
TMC wrote:
cladden wrote:

Just not on the fourth quarter. He'd miss 8 of 10 with the game on the line.

Dirk has been huge this season in the 4th quarter! He scored something like 14 points in the 4th quarter a few days ago and only ended up with about 18

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:24 am
migya wrote:Dirk has been huge this season in the 4th quarter! He scored something like 14 points in the 4th quarter a few days ago and only ended up with about 18

Yeah, well. I was talking more about important games, like playoffs... although he was a bit better during last season.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:00 pm
migya wrote:
~W~ wrote:
TMC wrote:Blame it on the refs all you want, but we shouldn't have been in a position in which one call changes the whole outcome. We just let the Pacers hang around too much.

I don't think any of us can predict the outcome had the refs done their job, but like it or not the call did factor into the final result. You can say the Warriors should have played better or what not, but in the end they did lose by 2, and coincidentally, that play was a 4 point swing... :roll:

Personally, it doesnt matter when it happened, first quarter, 2nd quarter or the last 2 minutes of the game, in the end we got screwed...

I know what you're saying and it not acceptable for the ref's to not change the call to the right one because they are directly affecting the result of how the players perform, not totally but they have an effect. The team however, has to learn from this and put away a team. That's what the truly great teams do

Agreed here. The Warriors definitely had chances to put them away.. and if Baron had taken a smarter shot on that last play he would have had a better chance of scoring. Refs were crap but the Warriors could have still won.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:28 pm
Yeah I too didn't like that shot selection. A post up again on Tinsley I believe wasn't a smart move. I thought they should've got it into Biedrins or gave it up to Monta.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 am
#32 wrote:
ChicagoTom wrote:However, when you have a guy like Monta Ellis who has scored 13 points in the fourth quarter on jumpers and quick drives to the hoop and you do not even let him touch the ball in the last minute, I have a problem with that.

I don't.

Inconsistency is not something you need in a close game. Although the first 3 quarters of THIS game wasn't the hollocaust that Monta displayed against San Antonio, it was still the same design: inconsistent and rushed.

For some reason, Ellis is having a real tough time getting it going before the 4th quarter. Some of you might remember Richardson having this same problem last season; going 2 for 9, than exploding in the 4th to make the game closer. The result is a 20-point game on a stat-sheet... but those watching know better. Ellis had another amazing 4th... and another lackluster start.

I don't trust Monta Ellis yet; that's the simple truth. The kid's a spark plug, he's amazing on some nights, and he's flashing brilliance more and more... but I just don't trust the kid with a last minute shot yet. I love the fact that he WANTS to take those shots; but I still think he's too immature. By midseason, my opinion will have changed... but I don't think he'll be capable of (consistently) putting up those complete superstar showings until we're 40 games out.

I think Don Nelson agree's with me. I think that's why Nelly's not running buzzer-beaters to Ellis yet. If he misses them too early, it'll crush his confidence... and Nelly's trying to create a star here. For that reason, I'm glad the play was running to Baron.

if you ask me, i think the simple truth is a boy who is 2 years out of high school, and has the ability to take over a game in the 4th quarter is a special talent. the maturity, the poise, i mean are you kidding? i cant wait until they start letting him take game deciding shots. he doesnt get a chance because we have baron and jrich. baron is good, but richardson,, i can count with like 3 fingers how many clutch game deciding shots hes made. baron did that last season alone? at least 2 anyway. what im saying is ellis has got the drop on all these foos and he will prove it in time.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:53 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:if you ask me, i think the simple truth is a boy who is 2 years out of high school, and has the ability to take over a game in the 4th quarter is a special talent. the maturity, the poise, i mean are you kidding? i cant wait until they start letting him take game deciding shots. he doesnt get a chance because we have baron and jrich. baron is good, but richardson,, i can count with like 3 fingers how many clutch game deciding shots hes made. baron did that last season alone? at least 2 anyway. what im saying is ellis has got the drop on all these foos and he will prove it in time.

I also think that Ellis will have to develop as our go-to guy in clutch time. I know Baron can score... but I'm nervous every time he has that responsibility. I'm much more confident when Ellis takes his shots. Maybe it's just me...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:41 am
TMC wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:if you ask me, i think the simple truth is a boy who is 2 years out of high school, and has the ability to take over a game in the 4th quarter is a special talent. the maturity, the poise, i mean are you kidding? i cant wait until they start letting him take game deciding shots. he doesnt get a chance because we have baron and jrich. baron is good, but richardson,, i can count with like 3 fingers how many clutch game deciding shots hes made. baron did that last season alone? at least 2 anyway. what im saying is ellis has got the drop on all these foos and he will prove it in time.

I also think that Ellis will have to develop as our go-to guy in clutch time. I know Baron can score... but I'm nervous every time he has that responsibility. I'm much more confident when Ellis takes his shots. Maybe it's just me...

Interesting but Monta has all the proving to do!

I'd like him to get the majority of the possessions in his hands (unlikely) for a month or so and if the guy is incredible, it would then be clear that one of either Baron or JRich would have to go to make sure Monta stays and is the main guy

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:00 pm
I would like to see the ball in Monta's hands when he and Baron are in the game - Baron is fantastic off the ball, and the team seems to thrive when Monta brings it up and Baron can post or cut
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads