I Love Monta

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 am
d1mex wrote:once again, another top tier performance by monta. if he keeps this up. he is a guaranteed winner of the most improved player.

I also think Biedrins has improved more than him... and he's been more important for our wins.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:30 am
TMC wrote:
d1mex wrote:once again, another top tier performance by monta. if he keeps this up. he is a guaranteed winner of the most improved player.

I also think Biedrins has improved more than him... and he's been more important for our wins.

you may think so but if you look outside this forums, Monta is considered the number two MIP in the league (after kevin martin) by non-warriors fans and biedrins isn't even in the running.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:47 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:you may think so but if you look outside this forums, Monta is considered the number two MIP in the league (after kevin martin) by non-warriors fans and biedrins isn't even in the running.

I don't think it's comparable. Monta seems to have improved a big deal, but that's also related to his importance for the team. He has more chances now than he had during the past season... and even more with Baron and J-Rich out. I see him doing the same things he did last year, just more confident.

But, if you look at Biedrins, he was almost out of the team. He almost didn't play last year and was an afterthought when it comes to NBA centers. And now he's not only starting, but he's also one of the best centers of the west (yeah, not THAT hard to do, but still impressive). He has improved at everything (even his atrocious free throw % has improved by almost a 30%!!!!)... I don't think it's even close between them.

In short, I consider Monta to have developed instead of improved. He's more important to the team, has more confidence and, hence, has better numbers... but he ain't doing things he didn't do before. Biedrins is the one that has become a weapon when he wasn't one.

Just my 2 cents... although I know some (maybe most) people won't agree with me.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:58 am
I agree; Biedrins has proven to be a more decisive factor in the recent surge of Golden State. He's providing 4 category brilliance (points, blocks, boards, FG%), while Monta is simply scoring the ball a lot (and taking A LOT of shots).

Monta's assists aren't impressing me, and I don't think he does anything else (maybe perimeter defense) extremely well. Meanwhile, Biedrins dominates the entire paint.

And he's getting noticed early. I've seen Jermaine O'Neal, Tim Duncan, and Amare Stoudamire ALL miss wide open inside lay-ups... just LOOKING for Biedrins. He didn't even need to block their shots; just the fact that he's in there is altering shots. That's intimidation, which doesn't show up on a stat sheet, but it means a helluva lot.

Hell, I'd rank him ahead of Monta AND Kevin Martin (who both appear to be cut from the same mold). Can you imagine Monta on the Kings? He'd probably drop 26 a night, too.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:06 am
He did make a mistake by not making that layup against O'Neal. At that time O'Neal had five fouls. And we missed a chance to score. Also AB missed those two foul shots!!! W's just shot themselves in the ass!!! Monta should've dunked that ball!!! Or passed it back to Dun Dun!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:29 am
... or gone straight up with it.

If Monta would have just taken the contact and fouled out Jermiane, than O'Neal wouldn't have been there at the end of the game to forced Baron to tip the ball outside for the 3.

A lotta what-ifs...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 am
either way if we make the playoffs either monta or biedrins will win it. in terms of importance to the team, biedrins has added another dimension which we have not had before, a strong center who can crash the boards and take it inside. monta is equally imporant as well.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:52 pm
#32 wrote: while Monta is simply scoring the ball a lot (and taking A LOT of shots).

I'd rather Monta take the shots right now than JRich or Baron. His FG% is much better than both of them and he doesn't take so many damn dribble, dribble, dribble, isolation shots. He gets to the rim!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:35 pm
No, I agree. I'd much rather have him shoot than Richardson (whose currently in a funk) or Baron (whose %'s have never been stellar).

I was simply speaking in comparison to Biedrins.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:40 pm
TMC wrote:In short, I consider Monta to have developed instead of improved. He's more important to the team

I don't agree with this. I think Biedrins is the ONLY genuine inside player we have right now! With the guards, Baron has been great when he has played which has been some two thirds of the games, JRich has been decent enough, Pietrus (who can also play guard if needed) has been better than ever and McCleod, Robertson and Barnes (who can also play guard) have been decent enough. With the bigs, Murphy has been quite awful, except for three or four games, dun is a pathetic attempt at a big (at a player at all usually :mrgreen: ), Foyle and O'bryant have played a handful of minutes the whole season and Diogu has been injured for over half the season so far! Biedrins is far more important and he HAD to perform well for the team to be where they are! He has an arguement for MVP of the team!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:In short, I consider Monta to have developed instead of improved. He's more important to the team

I don't agree with this. I think Biedrins is the ONLY genuine inside player we have right now! With the guards, Baron has been great when he has played which has been some two thirds of the games, JRich has been decent enough, Pietrus (who can also play guard if needed) has been better than ever and McCleod, Robertson and Barnes (who can also play guard) have been decent enough. With the bigs, Murphy has been quite awful, except for three or four games, dun is a pathetic attempt at a big (at a player at all usually :mrgreen: ), Foyle and O'bryant have played a handful of minutes the whole season and Diogu has been injured for over half the season so far! Biedrins is far more important and he HAD to perform well for the team to be where they are! He has an arguement for MVP of the team!

Biedrins is our only inside player other than Diogu. The problem is that if he gets in trouble early on, we lose an inside threat not only offensively, but defensively also. We cannot count on going small with a lineup against any team. I agree, Biedrins is the most important player on this roster. People may say Baron because he's our leader but we saw what the Warriors could do without him. Others may say Jrich but he's currently doing nothing because of his knee. And many may say Monta with the play he's been putting up, but if Nellie sits Monta, then we have a bunch of other guards to step up and take his place. Biedrins is such a valuable piece to this squad. Without him, the Warriors would be lost inside.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:01 am
migya wrote:

I don't agree with this.

Biedrins is far more important and he HAD to perform well for the team to be where they are! He has an arguement for MVP of the team!

You didn't get my post. What I was saying is that Monta is more important to the team than he was the last season, and so he has better numbers. I wasn't saying that he's more important than Biedrins.

If you re-read my posts about the issue (you don't need to read all the posts. Just the end of the paragraph you quoted :wink: ), you'll see that I've been saying that Biedrins is being the difference.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:29 pm
ever since Monta was on Rome is Burning this has been a different team...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:03 pm
what's the latest on Monta's injury?

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:25 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

I don't agree with this.

Biedrins is far more important and he HAD to perform well for the team to be where they are! He has an arguement for MVP of the team!

You didn't get my post. What I was saying is that Monta is more important to the team than he was the last season, and so he has better numbers. I wasn't saying that he's more important than Biedrins.

If you re-read my posts about the issue (you don't need to read all the posts. Just the end of the paragraph you quoted :wink: ), you'll see that I've been saying that Biedrins is being the difference.

Both Monte and Biedrens are the building blocks of the future for this Golden State team. It also looks like we have found our other front court player in Matt Barnes. Now, if the team can rally around making up for the the loss of Richardson, this team may be a .500 club and just miss the playoffs. If Ike can step up and improve his game and grasp of Nelson's system, this team may actually compete for a playoff spot. The Western Conference is very competitve and just loaded with talent. If this team were and Eastern Conference team, it could compete with the whole conference except for Miami, Detroit, and possibly Chicago/New Jersey.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball