Game Thread: San Antonio Spurs @ Warriors 2006-11-27

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors prevent an eight game losing streak (past three seasons) against the Spurs?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:43 pm

YES
85%
NO
15%

Total votes : 13

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:01 pm
AN AMAZING VICTORY! EVERY WARRIOR PLAYED WELL, SOME PLAYED GREAT, BIEDRINS MATCHED DUNCAN AND EVEN OUTPLAYED HIM AT THE END WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! WE BEAT THE SPURS AND THE REFS TONIGHT! my only fear, what happens to this beautiful team ball when baron returns?
11 years of no playoffs and counting...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 pm
sleepyfloyd wrote:AN AMAZING VICTORY! EVERY WARRIOR PLAYED WELL, SOME PLAYED GREAT, BIEDRINS MATCHED DUNCAN AND EVEN OUTPLAYED HIM AT THE END WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! WE BEAT THE SPURS AND THE REFS TONIGHT! my only fear, what happens to this beautiful team ball when baron returns?

I agree Sleepy, Andris on Duncan made all the difference. Without Andris it would not have been close to the same outcome.

On Baron, it looked like he was really trying to mesh with the new guys before he got hurt. The best example is when he gave an easy layup over to Monta a few weeks ago. I also think that Nelson having Monta bring the ball up when Baron is in the game helps alot. This forces Baron to get below the top of the circle and play more of a team game. What an awesome win from beginning to end!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:12 pm
Ownage at the Oracle. I love it. What a way to rebound from two straight against Denver. Decimated Utah and stopped San Antonio on its feet. Jason caught fire early on, Monta struggled but picked up in the 2nd half, Biedrins was just so damn good. Barnes was once again solid with Dunleavy showing up to play. He's really stepping up with Pietrus out. This game was great.. The Warriors needed to make a statement, and I hope that was sent out, not only to everyone, but to themselves also. Hopefully Baron and Pietrus come back soon.

Now I wonder what Barkley is saying at home.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 pm
The team is looking for real with every game!

Biedrins is the Most Improved Player in the nba so far and Ellis is a very close second (or vice versa really).

It takes a great team performance to beat the Spurs and the whole team showed that today. This is really looking like a playoff team and Baron, Pietrus and Diogu aren't even playing

migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:22 pm
who cares what Barkleys says??!?!?

btw, Baron is only going to help this team...not the other way around. My fear is the injuries and well...when exactly will we all be healthy... that is the QUESTION???

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 pm
This is definitely something the Bay will rejoice about, crushing the #1 team in the west, and stopping the Spurs from their 7 game winning streak on the road. Biedrins is on fire, J-Rich was tyte, Monta struggled a bit but completely made up in the 2nd half and Dunleavy stepped it up. Looking forward to close out November 10-6.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:52 am
Dayam, that was a great win! I was like, just stay close, baby, just stay close, then bayam! Even Dung is making me proud. :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 am
Yup - I am out of town on business, but saw the box score and was astonished...7 guys and they beat the spurs - Biedrins, 6 blocks! Awesome, and I give props to Dung for what looked like a strong game - they get BD, Pietrus and Ike back, they are a team no one will want to play (Utah and San Antonio already don't)...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:21 am
I didn't think I would ever say this but I think McLeod can prove to be a valuable pickup. He seems to mostly have his head on straight and plays decent defense.

Another great stat from today. Monta had 3 TO's after 3 minutes and ended with 4. Way to adjust kid. Sort of scary that Bowen just completely shut JRich down at the end of the game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:21 am
ChurroChou wrote:Looking forward to close out November 10-6.

Last season, the team ended November 12-6 but they didn't play more than two or three top teams. This season, they have won against Jazz, Spurs, Mavs and Pistons! It looks much better this time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 am
migya wrote:
ChurroChou wrote:Looking forward to close out November 10-6.

Last season, the team ended November 12-6 but they didn't play more than two or three top teams. This season, they have won against Jazz, Spurs, Mavs and Pistons! It looks much better this time

True, last year was a fluke due to the weak schedule, but we've won against good teams already.

This season looks much more promising than last year's... and the big difference is Biedrins. I'm going to go out on a limb (not much, tho, after the way he's playing lately) and predict that he's going to be the MVP of the team this season, not Baron, J-Rich or any other player. Biedrins is being the difference and the reason we're so much competitive than past seasons.

If he keeps playing like this (I don't know if he'll be able on offense, once the defenses start focusing on him a bit more), and given how weak is the center position, I wouldn't totally rule out an all star berth for him.

btw, now that he's not alone inside, Murphy is showing the kind of player he really is... that is, a terribly overrated one.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 am
What a great, great win last night for the Warriors!! As others have already said, this was a true team effort. I had my doubts going into this game. Not because I thought the Warriors were bad, but because San Antonio is just so good. However, the Warriors were able to hang around and eventually put together a late run to get what is easily their biggest win of the season.

I can honestly say that each player contributed in a positive way. J-Rich was balling from the get go and carried the offensive load most of the first half. Biedrins was spectacular once again. Dunleavy proved to be huge off the bench and seems to be thriving in his current role on this team. Keith McLeod came on for a struggling Monta in the first half and provided a spark both offensively with some nice drives and assists under the basket and he was also able to slow down Tony Parker a bit, which is no easy task.

In the second half, Monta stepped it up big time when we needed him and the surprise of all surprises, the Warriors made 13 of 14 free throws in the critical fourth quarter. This team has been woeful at the line, but last night they were able to make them when they counted.

As for some people worrying about this team when Baron comes back and such, there is nothing to worry about. This team has excellent chemistry no matter who is on the floor. Nellie has seemingly instilled confidence and a belief in this team that is different from most all other Warrior teams I have seen.

Nellie will make sure that everyone is on the same page and that winning is the focal point of the team. There is nothing wrong with a 9-10 man rotation when players come back healthy. With all the running this team does, that might be a way to keep players fresh and healthy for an entire season.

All in all, two great wins in a row. After the two Denver debacles, I was worried, but the Warriors have responded in a big way. Now, the momentum must carry over against Indiana and Milwaukee.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:42 am
ChicagoTom wrote: There is nothing wrong with a 9-10 man rotation when players come back healthy. With all the running this team does, that might be a way to keep players fresh and healthy for an entire season.

Attles ran out the reserves almost as a platoon, used all of them at times. The Ws won a lot of games in the last 1/4 because the other team was tired. Sometimes came from way behind. It was like 10-12 players against 7-8.

The current Ws also have the personnel and the personalities to pull this off when they are all healthy.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:51 am
sleepyfloyd wrote:AN AMAZING VICTORY! EVERY WARRIOR PLAYED WELL, SOME PLAYED GREAT, BIEDRINS MATCHED DUNCAN AND EVEN OUTPLAYED HIM AT THE END WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! WE BEAT THE SPURS AND THE REFS TONIGHT! my only fear, what happens to this beautiful team ball when baron returns?

Yeah. Isn't the star treatment thing supposed to be over now? I don't think the Ws got even one call that could have gone either way. At one point well into the game not one of their starters had been called for a foul. And this is at home!

Overall, though, there has been some improvement as the refs begin to realize that the Ws are a good team and worthy of their respect. As an indication of that, note that AB gets to block shots and stay in the game.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 am
J-Rich = money.

And Biedrisn is the difference. But credit Pietrus and Ellis too. They've improved big time.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads