The Cigar Lover's Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

How often do you smoke cigars?

Daily. Call me Red.
No votes
Weekly; it's a nice, relaxing hour for me.
17%
Bi-weekly or monthly. The occasional smoker.
No votes
Only on guy's nights or parties. There's gotta be an occasion.
50%
I don't smoke.
33%

Total votes : 6

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:04 pm
I been smoking cigars since I was 17 years old. But there's still plenty more I'd like to try. This thread is basically a review and discussion forum for the many cigars out there. If anybody's had a real good cigar (or a real bad one they wanna warn us about), please list them here.

I'll go first:

Onyx Reserve

General Review: This baby is very near and dear to my heart. My buddy (former board member, FurZo) got me into this one before I even considered myself a cigar smoker. It's dark, full of flavor, spicy, and kicks like a mule on the buzz. Obviously, a non-Cuban cigar won't always knock you on your ass... but this one does when I go without a smoke for a couple months. It's a tad pricey for the casual smoker, but well worth it. A first ballot hall of famer, in the world of cigars. #32's highest recommendation. :wink:

Flavor: Very strong; experienced smokers will enjoy it more.

Density: Not incredibly tight. The amount of smoke per draw is pretty average.

Draw: Once you get her going, its a nice, slow smoke. Doesn't run like a marathon and won't go out when you hop up to change the music.

Buzz: About the best you can expect from a legal cigar. Very chill. I recommend something with a strong bass line while you recover from this one.

Overall Rating: 10/10
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm
I've only smoked a small handful of cigars in my life. I'm not informed enough about cigars to give recommendation, although when I go to Mexico a Cuban is generally one of my first purchases. One Cuban can literally last me all day.

I don't think this is what you are looking for, but I do like blunts. My favorite are Peach Optimo's. They have a smooth taste and good balance. They're not overly flavorful like a strawberry or blueberry blunt, and they don't rape your throat like a plain Philly or Garcia y Vega...

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:48 pm
I am far from a connoisseur but when I went to Vegas I enjoyed a Macanudo which was pimpishly smooth and a Cohiba also smooth, rich with a semi sweet taste, when it comes to blunts I go for regular swishers or for a fatty philly titans, but I don't do the fruity flavored crap because I enjoy the true herbal essence, but if I have to settle for a flavored one I will only get honey :drinking:
Last edited by O.G. Broe on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:52 pm
Good man, broe! I'm also a Macanudo fan. Very smooth cigar.

Cohiba's are Cohiba's. Always hard to beat, always full of quality, and never a bad choice.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:11 pm
Cohibas are real nice for sure. The couple times I've been to Mexico, I've always picked up a few cubanos. My favorites have been the Cohibas, Romeo y Julieta and Punch (which might be made by Cohiba). I'm for sure no expert, though.

Blunts, on the other hand...

Swisher Sweet Cigarillos are the true Bay Area choice. I like the strawberry and peach ones for sure, but nothing is like a plain cigarillo. I don't understand why people are so into Phillies and Dutchmasters. Everyone I know from New York hates on swishers. But they just taste and burn the best, no question. I gues people started smoking blunts with bammer weed so they used a philly or a dutchy so they could get a lot in there. With the chron, there's no point.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:27 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:Cohibas are real nice for sure. The couple times I've been to Mexico, I've always picked up a few cubanos. My favorites have been the Cohibas, Romeo y Julieta and Punch (which might be made by Cohiba). I'm for sure no expert, though.

None of us are experts. Just sharing what we know. :wink:

I've had Cuban Romeo y Julieta's. They were little pistons; about the size of a pinky, like a Short Story. I had one and it knocked me on my ass. No joke.

Now THATS quality. :thumbleft:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 am
what cigar did Monica and Bill use?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:55 pm
Whattup, boys. 32 just got back from the cigar shop... and the beauty I just finished is worth writing a review for. One of my personal favorites, but if you never had one, check this out:

A. Fuente Short Story

General Review: To be perfectly honest, my father was the guy who used to smoke these babies. I'd never had one until a few months back and I fell in love with it. I almost didn't buy it; it seemed kinda pricey for such a short cigar (and the hideous looking, fat end didn't help much either), but I'm very glad I did. This little firecracker is one of the smoother Fuente's I've ever had. Plus, it was nice to be able to smoke something for under an hour and still get the same buzz of a bigger roll. I gotta admit, I usually prefer longer cigars... but if I'm looking for a quick fix, a Short Story is my A-list choice. This is the ultimate social cigar.

Flavor: Very soft and subtle, but still full of flavor. A good choice for those who wanna avoid the spice that comes with darker cigars.

Density: Very loose cigar; easy draw, lotta smoke.

Draw: I thought it was tough to keep up with... but, in retrospect, maybe that was just me being paranoid. Being such a short cigar, I didn't want to let any of it burn off, so I was constantly on the thing. Afterwards, it seemed like a little went a long way. No need to ride this thing.

Buzz: Pretty intense buzz, but it'll vanish quickly after 5 or 6 minutes of clean air. But it still made me lay down and turn the bass up on my stereo.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 pm
I've had a few cigars over the years and this thread is making want to go ut and get a couple. Cigars are pretty expensive though, that is the problem

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:07 pm
Yeah, thats why this thread is necessary. :wink:

We need to communicate on what the best cigars are... at the cheapest price. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:38 am
I won't add anything to this thread. I don't smoke. Never did, never will. I've seen enough people with problems related to smoking... guess that has played a part in my disdain towards smoking.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 am
TMC wrote:I won't add anything to this thread. I don't smoke. Never did, never will. I've seen enough people with problems related to smoking... guess that has played a part in my disdain towards smoking.

you and I are on the same page, almost lost my mother to cigs, but I still have a fond image of my gramps contentedly puffing on some cubans when we could get them for him. No one has answered my question as to what kind of cigar Monica and Bill used, but maybe that belongs in the private forum :wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:44 am
coltraning wrote:No one has answered my question as to what kind of cigar Monica and Bill used

Um... a healthy one? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:22 pm
TMC wrote:I won't add anything to this thread. I don't smoke. Never did, never will. I've seen enough people with problems related to smoking... guess that has played a part in my disdain towards smoking.

And your deciaion is a healthy and positive one but I'm sure most of the boys here that do smoke cigars only do so very rarely. I myself haven't smoked a cigar in quite some years

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:41 am
migya wrote:I'm sure most of the boys here that do smoke cigars only do so very rarely. I myself haven't smoked a cigar in quite some years

Yeah. I don't really have a problem with people smoking. If they want to, it's ok with me, no matter how often they do it. Everybody should be free to do it.

Return to Off-Topic Forum