Return of the Superstar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Did Don Nelson restore Baron Davis' game to the highest level?

Yes, thank God for Nelly!
72%
Yes, but Nelly had nothing to do with it...
11%
No, Baron can still play better.
17%
No, Baron will never be the same again.
No votes

Total votes : 18

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:29 pm
i think that Baron can still play better. MVP? not this year and maybe not at all with Lebron and Wade out there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:10 am
John Patrick wrote:Fish out of water? Billups is going 18-7 while Hamilton is averaging 22 pts, 3 reb 3 assists and 1 1/2 steals. Still, the Warriors backcourt may be superior to this and definitely superior to SA.

that's right! The Pistons have had a rough start to this season but their backcourt has continued to be great. Baron and JRich are superior right now but not by much

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:55 am
coltraning wrote:with all this talk, I actually am ahuge fan of a BD/Monta backcourt with Jrich at small forward Ike/Murphy at PF, Biedrins at center and Dung selling peanuts

yeah i am too, but i'd prefer to label that as a three guard lineup rather than label Jrich as a smallforward.

Baron at the 1 and Jrich and Monta both 2's.

-- and how bout dungheap giving back some money to the W's through selling peanuts
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:09 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I wouldn't say baron and j-ric are a better back court than Kidd-VC

Not this year... but keep in mind this is VC's contract year. :wink:

Back on topic, it's pretty clear that Nellie is the reason of Baron's improvement. Do any of you think he'll be playing at this level if Monty were still the coach?

MVP talks for Baron are a joke. Not with Lebron still out there.

And I don't consider San Antonio's backcourt as better than us, due to Ginobili. He's not consistent enough to be on the same level of our players. Detroit and New Jersey are a different story.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:08 am
I see Ginobili as a player that does what he has to do make his team win. Like Duncan, he doesn't look to put up the numbers for himself but does what he has to for his team to win often. Ginobili can explode at any time and when he wants to, noone can guard him

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:39 am
TMC wrote:Back on topic, it's pretty clear that Nellie is the reason of Baron's improvement. Do any of you think he'll be playing at this level if Monty where still the coach?

Apparently, one person does. :roll:

Who the hell voted that "Nelly had nothing to do with it"????
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:54 pm
[quote="migya"]
[quote]Reality - Baron and JRich are the most talented backcourt and are now performing like it. This season they are the best backcourt so far, in games that JRich has played. The three guard lineup of Baron, JRich and Monta is probably the best three guard rotation their is right now[/quo

I'm with you on the 3-headed monster of JRich, Baron and Monta. Byplayinfg JRich or Pietrus at the 3 we have suddenly became very similar to teams like Phoenix (Marion 3), Cleveland (Le Bron 3) and Denver (Carmelo 3).

In THIS NBA, Mike D. cannot compete with the starters. Nelly has recognized this and has limited his playing time to where he will not get overly exposed. But I will take a JRich, Baron, and Monta 3-headed monster above any 3 in the league.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:09 pm
I dunno about that. In my mind, Richard Jefferson still outranks Monta Ellis. I think Jersey has the best big three... but not by far.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm
I am glad to see that baron isn't simply dribbling around and huckiong up 3's everytime down. He is such a better player when he is powering to the bucket, and it has shown in the early part of the season. Hopefully he can keep it up. Oh yeah, I definately notice that those 15 less pounds that he was carrying last season slowed him down, as he looks much quicker this year.
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:17 pm
mamamamarciulionis wrote:i think that Baron can still play better. MVP? not this year and maybe not at all with Lebron and Wade out there.

Don't forget about Arenas or Nowitzski. There's a lot of valid MVP options out there.

It's still way too soon for all this Baron for MVP talk right now, but if he can bring the Warriors up out of their 12 year playoff drought, then he should be strongly considered or at least get honorable mention...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:20 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:
In THIS NBA, Mike D. cannot compete with the starters. Nelly has recognized this and has limited his playing time to where he will not get overly exposed.

Does anybody think that Nellie stands by his belligerent idea of naming Dunny the team's 3rd captain???
Last edited by Big B on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:32 pm
If this jinxes Baron Davis, I think #32 should be banned.
New. Stuff.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:00 pm
MVP is much more of a political thing that it is about numbers. It will be a poster boy for the NBA - LeBron, DWade, maybe even Chris Paul - but not Baron. Plus, as good as Baron is playing, any talk about MVP is a jinx and might lead to that yearly injury so we need to stop it!
However, if they make the playoffs then I'd say Nelly has a great shot for coach of the year honors.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:09 pm
Big B wrote:
mamamamarciulionis wrote:i think that Baron can still play better. MVP? not this year and maybe not at all with Lebron and Wade out there.

Don't forget about Arenas or Nowitzski. There's a lot of valid MVP options out there.

It's still way too soon for all this Baron for MVP talk right now, but if he can bring the Warriors up out of their 12 year playoff drought, then he should be strongly considered or at least get honorable mention...

Baron will have a chance of getting MVP if he either has real high averages or the team wins like the Suns have the past two seasons!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:39 pm
Damn Jinxes. DAMNNN
New. Stuff.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball