Return of the Superstar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Did Don Nelson restore Baron Davis' game to the highest level?

Yes, thank God for Nelly!
72%
Yes, but Nelly had nothing to do with it...
11%
No, Baron can still play better.
17%
No, Baron will never be the same again.
No votes

Total votes : 18

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:59 pm
Does anybody realize what Baron Davis' numbers are, if we removed that horrendous Jazz game from the mix?

Minus Utah, Baron's putting up:

23.2 PPG, 7.5 APG, 4.0 RPG, 2.5 SPG
46% from the field, 25% from the arc, 74% from the line
In 37.5 MPG

It gets better. Baron's gotten extremely hot in the past 4 games. In fact, if you disregard the first THREE games of the season (which includes the opening night slaughter against LA, the expected win against Portland, and the horrendous Utah game), Baron's numbers become the following:

26.0 PPG, 7.5 APG, 4.0 RPG, 3.0 SPG
51% from the field, 32% from the arc, 72% from the line
In 37.5 MPG

... so, should we bust out the MVP trophy now, or did I just jinx it? :wink:
Last edited by 32 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:06 pm
impressive
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:09 pm
When Nash won the MVPs, he was putting up 3 more assists per night... but nowhere near as many points or steals. I think Baron's the total package right now.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:03 pm
while I'm impressed by his numbers, remember that it's just 6 and 4 games respectively. As an example, in one span of 6 games in '05 nash averaged 34.5-12.3-6.5 on. In a span of four games he averaged 37-11.75-7.5. The point is that this small a sample size doesn't mean much.
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:06 pm
Arguably, when healthy, the Warriors's backcout of Davis and Richardson are the third best backcourt in the league, behind only Detroit and San Antonio's.

If we can get some frontcourt production (points, rebounding, defense), then this team can become very dangerous.

I love the way that Baron plays with a swagger...something that has been missing from this team since Tim Hardaway was running the point.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:34 pm
uptempo wrote:Arguably, when healthy, the Warriors's backcout of Davis and Richardson are the third best backcourt in the league, behind only Detroit and San Antonio's.

If we can get some frontcourt production (points, rebounding, defense), then this team can become very dangerous.

I love the way that Baron plays with a swagger...something that has been missing from this team since Tim Hardaway was running the point.

Arguably (not saying I'd argue it), J-rich is better than Manu over the last 2 years and a healthy baron is better than parker.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:45 pm
Baron has been very good but in noway is he a superstar player, he most likely never be. He is an allstar caliber player who right now is a top 3 PG in the West.

MVP? Hard to say because Lebron has been real good, as has Joe Johnson and guys like Kidd and Wade.

You can only tell at least half way through the season and the team has to have won at least 65% of their games. Nash got both MVPs because the Suns got so much better because of him and that is considered "VALUABLE"

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:49 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
uptempo wrote:Arguably, when healthy, the Warriors's backcout of Davis and Richardson are the third best backcourt in the league, behind only Detroit and San Antonio's.

Arguably (not saying I'd argue it), J-rich is better than Manu over the last 2 years and a healthy baron is better than parker.

Reality - Baron and JRich are the most talented backcourt and are now performing like it. This season they are the best backcourt so far, in games that JRich has played. The three guard lineup of Baron, JRich and Monta is probably the best three guard rotation their is right now

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:57 pm
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Reality - Baron and JRich are the most talented backcourt and are now performing like it. This season they are the best backcourt so far, in games that JRich has played. The three guard lineup of Baron, JRich and Monta is probably the best three guard rotation their is right now

I wouldn't say baron and j-ric are a better back court than Kidd-VC
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:03 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Not so far this season the Net's backcourt is better yes, but IF Baron continues playing like he is and JRich does what he did last season, Baron and JRich will be better

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:16 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

But I'd say it's between those two backcourts.

For the past two seasons, I've been saying Detroit and San Antonio's backcourts are over-rated and nobody listened to me. And now what? Manu is proving that he's a regular-season-choker (like I always said), best suited for the playoffs (and only the playoffs)... and Billips/Hamilton are falling apart now that the Larry Brown system is starting to collapse. With the same roster last year, Flip was able to tweak the gameplan... but still, use Brown's same overall philosophy. Now that Big Ben's outta the picture, Billips and Hamilton are starting to look like the fish out of water I knew they would. I totally called it.

New Jersey remains a hair in front of Golden State... but that will change the day Kidd starts showing his age (which could very well happen THIS season). When that happens, Golden State will have the most talented starting backcourt in the league.

Count on it. Maybe this time, someone will listen to me. :roll:
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:20 pm
Fish out of water? Billups is going 18-7 while Hamilton is averaging 22 pts, 3 reb 3 assists and 1 1/2 steals. Still, the Warriors backcourt may be superior to this and definitely superior to SA.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:40 pm
I belive that this team the best backcourt if this team is healty
This is the year
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 pm
Yeah, me too.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:33 pm
with all this talk, I actually am ahuge fan of a BD/Monta backcourt with Jrich at small forward Ike/Murphy at PF, Biedrins at center and Dung selling peanuts
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball