Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:30 pm
Biedrins is taller and gets real tough rebounds! They're both great rebounders and it is very close. Maybe the tip goes to Ike but it's real close.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 pm
Well, those 3 guys are the best we got. I hope Dre and Ike get chances to shine (God knows Murph will).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:57 am
To me, and I know most people won't agree, if not for his constant fouling, Biedrins would be a much better defender, shot-blocker AND REBOUNDER than Murphy (or Ike, for that matter).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:05 am
Well, that's the real trick though.

When Biedrins doesn't foul (aka, holds himself back to play cleanly), its usually met with lukewarm results. He'll play 30 minutes, but only gather 6 points, 6 rebounds, and 1 (or even 0) blocks.

When Biedrins plays 12 minutes (and gets 5 fouls), he usually leaves the game with 5 blocks.

Biedrins can play REAL well... when he's playing dirty. The rest of the time, he doesn't produce.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 am
#32 wrote:Well, that's the real trick though.

When Biedrins doesn't foul (aka, holds himself back to play cleanly), its usually met with lukewarm results. He'll play 30 minutes, but only gather 6 points, 6 rebounds, and 1 (or even 0) blocks.

When Biedrins plays 12 minutes (and gets 5 fouls), he usually leaves the game with 5 blocks.

Biedrins can play REAL well... when he's playing dirty. The rest of the time, he doesn't produce.

Al Attles coached this team to a championship during the 74-75 season with a center combination of Clifford Ray and George Johnson. Clifford played hard/dirty and with a lot of physicality; George Johnson played more of a finesse game and had a nice hook shot.

Perhaps Nelson will find a rotation at center that will bang, block shots, and put up some respectable numbers. Murphy/Biedrens/POB looks like a nice combo.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:19 pm
I agree; Murphy can reel in the competition (with his soft inside defense) and then Biedrins can come in, off the bench as a change-up, and play wack-a-mole with unsuspecting player's shots (the way Murphy can't). It's a good balance. Murphy can play offense, Biedrins can play defense, and both can rebound.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:29 pm
How about this big defensive line up for the final minute or 2 in the 4th or in OT during a close nail bitting contest:

1. Baron
2. J-Rich
3. Murph
4. Biendrins
5. Foyle

I like this line up becuase a 2-3 zone can be set up and in this case you would have three 7 footers in the front court. Two shot blockers and a good rebounder.

Any thoughts???
Last edited by Big B on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:31 pm
#32 wrote:I agree; Murphy can reel in the competition (with his soft inside defense) and then Biedrins can come in, off the bench as a change-up, and play wack-a-mole with unsuspecting player's shots (the way Murphy can't). It's a good balance. Murphy can play offense, Biedrins can play defense, and both can rebound.

I am just not too keen to see guys like Pietrus, Dunleavy, Foyle in a center combination when Nelson goes to his "small-ball" lineup. He did this with Higgins, Teagle, Tolbert during his last run with the Warriors.

In all honesty, I would love to see Murphy lose some weight, get quicker, and play a Dave Cowens type of game that would rely on speed, hustle, and tenacity. The guy, Murphy, had a streak of nastiness during his first couple of years with the team. If he can recapture that nastiness, and with added speed, he can cause major problems for opposing teams' centers. Imagine Shaq having to come out of the key to guard a quicker Murphy. Imagine Yao having to run the floor with a faster and leaner Murphy. Other than Ben Wallace, no center would be able to keep up with a leaner, quicker, and more in shape Murphy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:39 pm
I doubt we'll see Dunleavy or Pietrus at center.

The league's changed a lot since Run TMC. The Shaq effect had a lot to do with that. Nelly understands that he can't get away with 6'7" guys playing the 5-spot anymore. I don't believe he ever did that in Dallas or NY (post-Warriors).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 pm
Big B wrote:How about this big defensive line up for the final minute or 2 in the 4th or in OT during a close nail bitting contest:

1. Baron
2. J-Rich
3. Murph
4. Biendrins
5. Foyle

I like this line up becuase a 2-3 zone can be set up and in this case you would have three 7 footers in the front court. Two shot blockers and a good rebounder.

Any thoughts???

It's a good thought. Nelson did say Foyle would only be used for defensive purposes. Though I have a gut feeling something in this lineup will fail. But Foyle hasn't let me down when the game was clutch and he had to make a block so I won't say much of it. Good line up.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:22 pm
My only gripe with the lineup is Murphy.

Sure, he's a monster on the boards... but we can't afford the defensive laps he creates in the clutch. Against post players, we might be able to look past it. But not on the perimeter as a 3. It would almost definately mean a clear shot for the other team's SF.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 pm
Agreed, Murphy at 3 is laughable, the other SF will blow by him EVERY time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:24 am
And Foyle inside is also ugly. Play Biedrins at center (there's nothing Foyle can do that Biedrins can't) and let Ike (or Murph, in case it can't be Ike) become the PF...

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:09 am
TMC wrote:And Foyle inside is also ugly. Play Biedrins at center (there's nothing Foyle can do that Biedrins can't) and let Ike (or Murph, in case it can't be Ike) become the PF...

Amen!

Also, Foyle has to be shipped out of here. He, Foyle, is a cancer with his poor attitude (read: he is lazy) and no dedication to improving. How can a guy be in the league as long as Foyle and not shown any signs of improvement? Even if he, Foyle, had just developed one offensive move (baby hook, drop step, mid-range jump shot) and just hustled on every play, he could be our Ben Wallace. Instead, he waddles slowly up and down the court, turns the ball over, and does nothing to show that he is worth the money that he is being paid.

By year three, an NBA player has to step up his game. This is the year that Biedrens will need to do something. He has all of the makings of being a good center (fast, strong, aggressive, a good finisher); however, as was stated earlier on this thread, he needs to control his penchant for fouling.

Murphy, Biedrens, POB all rotating between the 5 and 4 positions look real good. Dunleavy and Ike playing the 4 spot will hopefully look good, too.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 am
TMC wrote:And Foyle inside is also ugly. Play Biedrins at center (there's nothing Foyle can do that Biedrins can't) and let Ike (or Murph, in case it can't be Ike) become the PF...

No doubt...Biedrins can do everything that Foyle can do and then some. I'm just proposing having both of them on the court at the same time for defensive purposes, down the strech when it really counts.

Ike is more of a traditional PF with crafty moves, but he's not a shot blocking threat and he hacks too much.

If I'm the coach of the opposing team, I would design a play to where my best free throw shooter is being defended by Ike. Chances are Ike fouls my player and my player is on the line for 2, or my player takes it straight to Ike and scores the bucket...
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball