Never Too Early

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Baron for MVP?

Yes, Baron's a candidate for sure.
2
13%
No, Baron will most likely get injured.
7
44%
Maybe, as long as he stays healthy and plays consistent.
7
44%
 
Total votes : 16

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:01 pm
I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:55 pm
#32 wrote:I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.


Agreed. Never seen Bird play. Odom has always been a good player, not great.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Never seen Bird play.

I have.

I saw Larry Bird banged up so badly in 1992 that he could barely play 3 solid minutes before he started limping up and down the court. He didn't go out, mind you. Just played through the pain. He was damn near crippled. His back was deteriorating by the second. On top of that, he had been injured repeatedly in the past couple of seasons, so he was playing on top of illness to begin with. AND the guy was in the twilight of his career. Every possible physical factor was against him.

That being said, teams still tripled him whenever he touched the ball.

And he still walked out with more than 20 points on most nights (along with 8 or 9 boards and 6-8 assists). That's how unstoppable Bird was.

That's why I'm one of the few people who thinks Bird was better than Magic. Bird was the epitome of skilled play encarnate. Magic had better physical tools (a 6'9" point guard??? You don't get more gifted than than), but Bird STILL played at Magic's level.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:00 pm
It's debatable. Magic definitely was better physicially but physical fitness/ability is a part of the game.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Clovis, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:45 pm
I want to vote no but not because of injury. Simply put, there are better players than BD in better situations (teams).
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:08 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Agreed. Never seen Bird play. Odom has always been a good player, not great.


You don't know what you're missing, bro.

Bird had absolutely none physical skill, and still played at an MVP level for most of his career. That's what made him unique.

Download some classic games... It's worthy. I promise.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:57 am
#32 wrote:I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.

Nash has a better shot, better vision, better fundemental skills, and a larger passion for the game than baron. I think we just have different definitions of talent.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.

Nash has a better shot, better vision, better fundemental skills, and a larger passion for the game than baron. I think we just have different definitions of talent.

Well, I, for one, think that Nash is a more talented player than Baron. :wink:

Maybe that's where we differ. I think Baron can be better than any point guard in the league... except for Nash.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:12 am
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.

Nash has a better shot, better vision, better fundemental skills, and a larger passion for the game than baron. I think we just have different definitions of talent.

Well, I, for one, think that Nash is a more talented player than Baron. :wink:

Maybe that's where we differ. I think Baron can be better than any point guard in the league... except for Nash.

I was responding Dan initially, who said baron had more talent than nash. by his definition, odom has more talent than bird, because his definition clearly doesn't take skill into account. That was the basis for my response.
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:24 am
I doubt Baron will get it, even if healthy, since it is usually given to someone on one of the top 4-5 teams, and there is a fella named Lebron as well...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:28 pm
Location: Hayward, CA
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:57 am
#32 wrote:
Josh Jamison wrote:BD will never be MVP.

I dunno if I'd go that far. Baron was just an assist away from Steve Nash last year. If he can get Golden State to the playoffs with (virtually) the same roster, he could be a candidate. Especially if he has a better season than last year (21 PPG, 9.5 APG, and 5 RPG). Those are MVP numbers.


Yes... he can be a candidate, but I think he'll never be an MVP.

MVP = Play the whole season, if not miss a few games (I don't think he can do this, especially with Nellies run & gun offense and no true or good point guard to back him up), Make it to the play-offs in at least the mid-slots (I don't think he can do this, playoffs... yes, but not mid-slots of the play-offs), average over 20 points a game (he can do this), and at least 8 in another catagory (he can do this).

I'm not trying to be too negative about this upcoming season or about Baron, but I don't want to be too positive either. Saying BD might be an MVP this year is WAY TOO POSITIVE. He is missing in two catagories that I stated above. I was way too positive last year in hyping up the team to all my friends and making bets that I lost because of the Warriors woes last year.

This is a possiblity, but I don't mean to ruin anything here. I don't think it will happen with Baron. I hold J-Rich higher than Baron anyway.

If this happens... go ahead and say "I told you so," rub it in my face, and I'll take it like a man. I'll give you props for sure. This is just way to far fetched for me and if I'm wrong that is wonderful!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:55 am
I don't care. I want the team to win. If that hapens with teamwork or with some player as a star i don't care.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:I have to disagree, pest.

Bird has far more talent than Odom. Odom may be more physically gifted... but Bird had a better shot, better vision, better fundamental skills, and a larger passion for the game.

Nash has a better shot, better vision, better fundemental skills, and a larger passion for the game than baron. I think we just have different definitions of talent.

Well, I, for one, think that Nash is a more talented player than Baron. :wink:

Maybe that's where we differ. I think Baron can be better than any point guard in the league... except for Nash.

I was responding Dan initially, who said baron had more talent than nash. by his definition, odom has more talent than bird, because his definition clearly doesn't take skill into account. That was the basis for my response.

Ah. Then we're in agreement.

Josh Jamison wrote:
#32 wrote:
Josh Jamison wrote:BD will never be MVP.

I dunno if I'd go that far. Baron was just an assist away from Steve Nash last year. If he can get Golden State to the playoffs with (virtually) the same roster, he could be a candidate. Especially if he has a better season than last year (21 PPG, 9.5 APG, and 5 RPG). Those are MVP numbers.


Yes... he can be a candidate, but I think he'll never be an MVP.

MVP = Play the whole season, if not miss a few games (I don't think he can do this, especially with Nellies run & gun offense and no true or good point guard to back him up), Make it to the play-offs in at least the mid-slots (I don't think he can do this, playoffs... yes, but not mid-slots of the play-offs), average over 20 points a game (he can do this), and at least 8 in another catagory (he can do this).

I'm not trying to be too negative about this upcoming season or about Baron, but I don't want to be too positive either. Saying BD might be an MVP this year is WAY TOO POSITIVE. He is missing in two catagories that I stated above. I was way too positive last year in hyping up the team to all my friends and making bets that I lost because of the Warriors woes last year.

This is a possiblity, but I don't mean to ruin anything here. I don't think it will happen with Baron. I hold J-Rich higher than Baron anyway.

If this happens... go ahead and say "I told you so," rub it in my face, and I'll take it like a man. I'll give you props for sure. This is just way to far fetched for me and if I'm wrong that is wonderful!

I hold JRich higher than Baron, too. But, statistically speaking, MVP votes come from two places: personal stats and whether or not you're the team's leader.

More people consider Baron Davis to be the leader of the Warriors than they do with Jason Richardson. Plus, Jason (for the most part) is solely a scoring threat (along with 6 boards a night). Davis (when he's healthy) can contribute in 3 categories (points, assists, and rebounds) and be among the league's best in the first two.

Besides, Nelly's already told the press that he's not gonna play Baron for 40 minutes a night anymore. He'll limit him to around 35 (making his season average closer to 30... like Shaquille O'Neal in Miami). This will, hopefully, prevent a few injuries.

If Golden State can go from 34 wins last year to 50 this year (long shot) and claim a 6th or 5th seed, I don't think Baron for MVP is out of the question.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:23 pm
I'd think if the Warriors made the playoffs, people would have to decide on whether Baron played like a true MVP for the Warriors over the return of Nellie. We all saw what happened when the news broke out of Nelson's return. The television and newspapers were on it. People were saying this team has a greater shot now that Monty is gone and Nelson is back. It'll be up to Baron to put up the numbers, poise, maturity, and leadership.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:13 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
Dan wrote:You never know. Steve Nash won the last 2 MVP awards and Baron has more talent than Nash

and odom has more talent than bird. your point?


Unless you're talking about a 1 on 1 game, I respectfully disagree with this statement...
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest