Prosecutor charges Pacers' Jackson for strip club fight

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:43 pm
Stephen Jackson's apology wasn't enough.

The Indiana Pacers' guard was charged with the felony and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct Wednesday by the Marion County prosecutor, five days after he fought with another group of men outside a strip club.

On Tuesday, Jackson apologized for the fight, saying he was "happy to be alive." His comments came hours after police arrested another man on several charges related to the fight.

Pacers president Larry Bird said Jackson was upset by the charges.

"He knows it's a major embarrassment for the franchise," Bird said. "This is a big blow for Stephen. He didn't expect this."

Teammates Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie Hunter were also at the club, but were not charged.

Jackson was hit by a car, and police say he fired a gun in the air at least five times. He originally told police he was punched, but later said he was not, prosecutors said.

"Firing the shots in the air at that point is criminal recklessness," Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said. "Those bullets, once they come up, have to come down, and they come down at least 90 miles per hour, and they do absolutely have the ability to take someone's life."

Brizzi said between 30 and 35 people were in the parking lot.

Jackson was expected to turn himself in Wednesday or Thursday, prosecutors said. He was scheduled to be in court Thursday morning to face the charges. The felony count carries a prison term of six months to three years.

The charges were another setback for Jackson, who has struggled to shake off the effects of the 2004 brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

In September 2005, a judge in Michigan ordered Jackson to serve a year's probation for his role in the brawl, but the court ordered him to serve an extra year of probation because he did not complete the terms of his sentence.

Brizzi said Jackson could be ordered to serve three months in jail if authorities there determine he has violated his probation.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league was monitoring the situation and would do its own investigation.

AP - Oct 10, 3:16 pm EDT
More Photos

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said the NBA typically lets players continue to play until such cases are resolved.

Dumb cunnt might go to prison!

Though I sympathise with him, getting run over and shiit but he should have been smarter than that

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 pm
Clear cut self defense

prosecutor doesn't have a case
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:59 pm
Agreed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:06 pm
Stephen Jackson is insane. Talented, but insane.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:15 pm
True but he is innocent because of self defense like Pest said.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Clear cut self defense

prosecutor doesn't have a case

Are you allowed to just pull out a gun and start firing? Here we aren't even allowed to have a gun. I have heard of cases in the U.S. where people have been jailed for firing in self defense

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 pm
You can have a gun and yes, you can fire in self defense.

The only possible case the plaintiffs have is that 5 shots was unnecessary and too much/dangerous IMO.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:55 am
migya wrote:Are you allowed to just pull out a gun and start firing? Here we aren't even allowed to have a gun. I have heard of cases in the U.S. where people have been jailed for firing in self defense

Same here. You would face charges just for having a gun... the self defense would be a completely different issue.

But yeah... that charges sound a bit weak... Criminal recklessness?. That goes with the self-defense.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Are you allowed to just pull out a gun and start firing? Here we aren't even allowed to have a gun. I have heard of cases in the U.S. where people have been jailed for firing in self defense

Same here. You would face charges just for having a gun... the self defense would be a completely different issue.

But yeah... that charges sound a bit weak... Criminal recklessness?. That goes with the self-defense.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be allowed to have a gun and use it for self defense. Sure, at first there would be some out of proportion reactions BUT burglars and everyday dikheds would think twice about starting crap with someone

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:43 am
migya wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be allowed to have a gun and use it for self defense. Sure, at first there would be some out of proportion reactions BUT burglars and everyday dikheds would think twice about starting crap with someone

I don't. I think guns should only be available to security forces (police and so on...). That's the way it is in Europe. Maybe I'm used to that system, but I don't like the idea of people having guns, no matter the reason.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:46 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be allowed to have a gun and use it for self defense. Sure, at first there would be some out of proportion reactions BUT burglars and everyday dikheds would think twice about starting crap with someone

I don't. I think guns should only be available to security forces (police and so on...). That's the way it is in Europe. Maybe I'm used to that system, but I don't like the idea of people having guns, no matter the reason.

That's the exact reason why I think people should have guns - The fukin police and government forces!!!!

People can not defend themselves against fascist shiit! Sometimes, some people are wrong but the government is wrong all the time! Lots of shiit is being enforced now that is wrong and people can do nothing to change it!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:36 am
migya wrote:That's the exact reason why I think people should have guns - The fukin police and government forces!!!!

Oh, yeah. I had forgotten the conspiracy theories. Silly me. :wink:

I think that that would be a recipe for disaster... but, you know, it has always been like that here. Maybe I woulnd't think this way living somewhere else.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:33 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:That's the exact reason why I think people should have guns - The fukin police and government forces!!!!

Oh, yeah. I had forgotten the conspiracy theories. Silly me. :wink:

I think that that would be a recipe for disaster... but, you know, it has always been like that here. Maybe I woulnd't think this way living somewhere else.

It's just that people are scared and intimidated by those that they pay to serve and that is just wrong. Yes, there would undoubtedly be alot of shiit that would happen if many people had guns but that's where society controls each other and makes people who are reckless pay for it like they should. Things that are getting enforced over here now are things like taking pictures of children at an athletics carnival because of possible paediphilia! That is quite absurd, you can't even photo your own child winning or competing in a race. Things that are way over the top and just wrong

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:38 am
migya wrote:Things that are getting enforced over here now are things like taking pictures of children at an athletics carnival because of possible paediphilia! That is quite absurd, you can't even photo your own child winning or competing in a race. Things that are way over the top and just wrong

Yeah, that sounds a bit... excessive. It's good to have some degree of control, but not to the point of getting into the private life of everybody.

We're not there (yet), although things like that can probably happen in Switzerland or Belgium. They're a lot more restrictive there... but those countries are also safer. So it's difficult to say where the limit should be set.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:58 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Things that are getting enforced over here now are things like taking pictures of children at an athletics carnival because of possible paediphilia! That is quite absurd, you can't even photo your own child winning or competing in a race. Things that are way over the top and just wrong

Yeah, that sounds a bit... excessive. It's good to have some degree of control, but not to the point of getting into the private life of everybody.

We're not there (yet), although things like that can probably happen in Switzerland or Belgium. They're a lot more restrictive there... but those countries are also safer. So it's difficult to say where the limit should be set.

Not safer, just more restrictive and more fear! Peace and harmony don't really exist anymore

Next

Return to News Articles