The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm
i said that in a tongue in cheek sort of way. the offensive line didn't give poor alex any time. but i thought smith's days of throwing into triple coverage were over.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:09 am
drfrank wrote:just curious...

do you guys think the carolina panthers will take care of business against the cleveland brownies?

Sure. Why not?. It's not like that Brownies are a powerhouse... they were close to losing against the RAAAAAAAIIIIder(ette)s. :mrgreen:

About the niners... Why don't people wait till next year to judge Alex Smith... I'd say he's going to be average at best, not a great qb, but not bad either. But he's still learning, and doesn't have much of a supporting cast (even less now with Davis out)... anyway, it's to early to say what he's going to be. He should be evaluated according to his third season.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm
i never said his skill went away. I said his confidence, which he amassed during the course of the young season, took a significant hit.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:30 pm
Well first and second year QB's that went into Kansas City to face the Chiefs are 2-15 overall including Alex. All young QB's struggled when going in a stadium so we also have to take that into account also. I too believe Alex will become something good, just not great. It's already hard enough to fill in the shoes of Montana and Young. Plus that 2005 draft class was weak with QB depth. Even if Smith waited his senior year I'd go with Leinart, Young, or Cutler over him. But I'd think it's the coaching and talent Alex needs to excel. He has the coaching, but the talent isn't there.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:53 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I too believe Alex will become something good, just not great. It's already hard enough to fill in the shoes of Montana and Young. Plus that 2005 draft class was weak with QB depth. Even if Smith waited his senior year I'd go with Leinart, Young, or Cutler over him. But I'd think it's the coaching and talent Alex needs to excel. He has the coaching, but the talent isn't there.

Yeah, in last year's draft, Smith would have a been a 15-20 pick... similar to Cutler. He's good enough to be a first rounder, but not #1. The Niners choosed the wrong year to have the first pick.

On a side note, good news for the Bucs, as Kenyatta Walker's season is over and now Jeremy Trueblood will become the starter. Maybe we can start developing something that resembles an offensive line for next season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 am
This week's picks:

Buccaneers at Saint ==> Bruce Almighty begans his quest to become the new Tom Brady.

Browns at Panthers ==> Unless Steve Smith doesn't play, this one should be an easy win.

Titans at Colts ==> The Titans shouldn't even make the travel...

Rams at Packers ==> The Rams will be a playoff contender due to their easy schedule. Favre will start mulling (once again) his retirement. Won't happen, tho.

Bills at Bears ==> See the Titans comment.

Dolphins at Patriots ==> I think this game will be closer than it should, but Miami won't be able to win it.

Lions at Vikings ==> I picked the Vikings last week and they failed, but this time they play the Lions at home... should be a win.

Redskins at Giants ==> The Giants are in turmoil and the Redskins are recovering from their awful start of the season. Both teams need to win this game, but the Giants can't stand Coughling, and that will kill their season.

Chiefs at Cardinals ==> The Cards looked pathetic last week against Atlanta... not that Chiefs are much better outside Arrowhead, but they should win this one.

Jets at Jaguars ==> Injuries are hurting the Jags. Lack of talent is hurting the Jets.

Raiders at 49ers ==> What can I say about this one?. The 49ers are rebuilding... the Raiders have just realized that they have to rebuild.

Cowboys at Eagles ==> T.O. back to Philly. This one will be great. I'm anxious to see the first hit Brian Dawkins has reserved for him.

Steelers at Chargers ==> Pittsburgh needs to win this one, but they ain't playing well, and San Diego is not the place to solve those issues.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:33 am
Your the moderator of this thread. i want the standings for last weeks results. i hope i beat your sorry ass TMC!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:34 am
Whoops it's a tie. HEHE
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:47 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Whoops it's a tie. HEHE

Yeah, I updated the records in the first page, but forgot to post about it. From now on, I'll do it every week before posting my picks for the next one, so no need to announce it in a post.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:56 am
Bucs @ SAINTS ==> I got a feeling the town of NAWLEANS is gonna be one of the hardest places to win this season (SOLD OUT ALL SEASON LONG) If Nawleans is Hurricane Katrina then Tampa Bay is to a wet blanket.

Browns at PANTHERS ==> Unless the Raiders fly to Carolina and steel the boys in Blues uniform for some sweet revenge ( They might as well forfeit to 49'ers ) then i don't see the Browns winning this one.

Titans at COLTS ==> Peyton Manning breaks some form of NFL Record on this night.

Rams at PACKERS ==> TMC. The Rams beat Detroit at home. This is in Green Bay Bro!!! Don't you ever forget who owns the Packers, And it ain't Davis or York.

BILLS at Bears ==> Road upset! Grossman is gonna have difficulty. So is Losman, but if there is ever a team to spoil this season it's Buffalo.

Dolphins at PATRIOTS ==> Tom Brady vs Daunte Culpepper ( This was the greatest QB Dual in 2004.... when both slingers had decent recievers like Dion Branch or Randy Moss, now it's gonna be a lot of dropped balls and low scoring games, But Patriots at home. )

Lions at VIKINGS ==> Is it just or does the NFL want the Lions playing indoors all season long (RAMS, VIKINGS,ATLANTA,ARIZONA,DALLAS) I don't know how come they lose so much but they should treat these indoor games as home games and they might just win some more.

REDSKINS at Giants ==> Did my fantasy football friend tell me right, Santana Moss at 4 receptions and 3 touchdowns. I like the Redskins this will be a high scoring game my friends.

Chiefs at CARDINALS ==> I am continueing my hope of AFC West fantasy and the Chiefs will lose horribly.

Jets at JAGUARS ==> Marcus Stroud is gonna put Chad Pennington in a coma.

RAIDERS at 49ers ==> This is a homegame at Monster park, They're be glitters of gold and dazzles of red as the 49'er fans pore in for a family day. But then the Army of darkness with there tint of silver will ride on into the stadium turn the 49'ers endzone into a makeshift endzone and every 49'er fan will be stretchered out by paramedics as Oakland Gangstas lynch the faggots on the otherside of the Bay. Alex Smith has got 2 numbers on his mind 56 and Agent 99!

COWBOYS at Eagles ==> If T.O hasn't joined the WWE by Sunday or ended up in some pysciatric ward it's hard to argue that the Cowboys won't win this game. (T.O just feeds off a crowd that boos him) Bill Parcells should do a Don Nelson and throw a T.O into the secondary formation defense. I'm sure Donavan McNabb misses hooking up with legitamite targets (even if it's on the opposition)

STEELERS at Chargers ==> Raiders need a glimour of hope that there season still has momentum. Bill Cower is too good of a coach to continue his team's slide. I'm guessing the Chargers are in for a long night.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:11 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Bucs @ SAINTS ==> I got a feeling the town of NAWLEANS is gonna be one of the hardest places to win this season (SOLD OUT ALL SEASON LONG) If Nawleans is Hurricane Katrina then Tampa Bay is to a wet blanket.

I'm not going to give any valid reason for picking the Bucs. I just did it 'cos they're my team.

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Rams at PACKERS ==> TMC. The Rams beat Detroit at home. This is in Green Bay Bro!!! Don't you ever forget who owns the Packers, And it ain't Davis or York.

Once again, the Packers are one of our most hated rivals (with the Panthers being the other, but it's not even close). They'll lose this game... and the next, and the next, and the next...

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:BILLS at Bears ==> Road upset! Grossman is gonna have difficulty. So is Losman, but if there is ever a team to spoil this season it's Buffalo.

You're crazy. Lossman will be lucky if he ever gets into Chicago's territory against that defense and in Chicago.

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Jets at JAGUARS ==> Marcus Stroud is gonna put Chad Pennington in a coma.

Stroud is doubtful for the game...

O.G pawnograffiti wrote:RAIDERS at 49ers ==> This is a homegame at Monster park, They're be glitters of gold and dazzles of red as the 49'er fans pore in for a family day. But then the Army of darkness with there tint of silver will ride on into the stadium turn the 49'ers endzone into a makeshift endzone and every 49'er fan will be stretchered out by paramedics as Oakland Gangstas lynch the faggots on the otherside of the Bay. Alex Smith has got 2 numbers on his mind 56 and Agent 99!

Pure poetry. I'm sure every niner fan is loving it. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 pm
Bucs @ Saints ==> Saints. I'm sorry TMC, but I'm with the Saints. The Bucs have a shot but the Saints have put up a show every game by far.

Browns at Panthers ==> Panthers. If the Browns were playing the Raiders then they'd win this week. But lookie lookie. Steve Smith has been back and he'll be playing this week. 100 yard game for Steve?

Titans at Colts ==> Colts. Vince Young, meet Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis. I'm sure you'll love them, I mean c'mon Vince, there's a reason why his last name is FREEney. Better hope your offensive line is ready.

Rams at Packers ==> Rams. I'm sorry GB fans but the Rams have just went back to the passing attack with Holt and Bruce. Look for Bulger to have a big week against the Packer's DB's.

Bills at Bears ==> Bears. The Bills are no Seahawks. But they can't play offense against this Bears defense. The offensive line won't be able to hold up against the pass rush of the Bears.

Dolphins at Patriots ==> Patriots. Well Brady hasn't exactly been playing like his old self but he's still the 2nd best QB in the NFL currently. And I like Maroney to have a big day too.

Lions at Vikings ==> Vikings. The Lions came close but couldn't hold it against the Rams. The Vikings are better than the Rams. The Lions season is over, even if they win this game. They're 0-4.

Redskins at Giants ==> Redskins. I'm going to have to go with the team that's hot. The Redskins offense is clicking. Santana Moss has been tearing defenses up. And the last time I checked I thought the Jags could play defense better than the Giants. The Giants are having problems with chemistry. Coughlin isn't exactly known for his team chemistry.

Chiefs at Cardinals ==> Chiefs. The Cardinals look the same as always. That horrible offensive line won't hold up. Leinart will have to be very quick and know what to do with the ball in order to not feel the pain most likely 5-7 times this game.

Jets at Jaguars ==> Jaguars. Both teams had things going well, then they made stupid decisions. The Jets chose to go for it on 4th down when they were leading in the 4th quarter while the Jags' safety was going for an interception, not the big hit on Moss. Both teams will be hungry for the win, but the Jags are the better team. The Jets put up a helluva fight against the Colts, so expect this one to be close also.

Raiders at 49ers ==> 49ers. Are you serios pawno? The Raiders are 3rd against the pass but 28th against the run. That doesn't mean Bryant won't have a good day. He's a deep threat. And Gore will have a big game too. Larry Allen will be back I believe, or at least I hope. Walter has been hit a whole lot when throwing the ball so look for guys like Lawson and Bryant to have big days. And on another note, those Halloween Raider costumes are getting old. Welcome to reality Raider fans, you are now stepping into the better franchise's stadium.

Cowboys at Eagles ==> Eagles. Game of the Week! I've been waiting for this since the schedule came out. But hey, we knew it was coming because they were bound to meet sometime especially since you are to face your division rivals twice a year. I can't wait to hear the Philly crowds and read their homemade signs of how bad they hate T.O. Can't wait to see what B-Dawk, Trotter, and Sheldon Brown have in store for Terrell. Ah, this will be one for the ages.

Steelers at Chargers ==> Chargers. I like the Chargers D better than the Steelers D and well, pretty much I like the Chargers all around. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new football video game curse. If your head coach is on the cover of "NFL Head Coach," your team is cursed this season. Tomlinson and Gates should have big games.
Last edited by xbay on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:29 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Lions at Vikings ==> Vikings. The Lions came close but couldn't hold it against the Rams. The Vikings are better than the Rams. The Lions season is over, even if they win this game. They're 0-4.

I don't think the Vikes are better than the Rams. Their offense certainly isn't, and the defense may be better but just for a slight margin. I think the Rams are a bit underrated. They even have a chance to slip into the playoffs as a wild card.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Cowboys at Eagles ==> Cowboys. I'm really pulling for the Eagles on this one, I really am. But if you look at the Eagles history with divisional games under Reid, they're pretty bad. This will be a game to watch for sure. Get ya popcorn ready!

I think Philly has lost so many games against the Cowboys lately that they won't allow it to happen in this one, much less playing at home. That... and I'm sure the Eagles can't wait to play against TO.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Steelers at Chargers ==> Chargers. I like the Chargers D better than the Steelers D and well, pretty much I like the Chargers all around. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new football video game curse. If your head coach is on the cover of "NFL Head Coach," your team is cursed this season. Tomlinson and Gates should have big games.

Please, EA, let Gruden be the next Head Coach cover... if he has two consecutive losing seasons, there's no way he keeps coaching the Bucs (that would mean just one winning season since the SB... one of five). It's time for Kiffin to be the man in Tampa.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:34 pm
Looks like you and pawno are tied at 15-13 TMC.

I picked the Vikings over the Lions because their offense was able to keep up against the Bears defense. And we all know about the Bears already.

And like I said about the Cowboys/Eagles game, the Eagles just have a bad record against their division. I hate the Cowboys but I'm going with statistics. Well, actually I'll change my mind, I'm with the Eagles after hearing about a couple new things about what the Eagles are preparing for T.O.'s homecoming.

And yes, I think we've the NFL has some type of curse to go along with the Madden curse. That NFL Head Coach game is probably the other. Hopefully it doesn't go near Mike Nolan. It better not or else I'm going to have a lil argument with EA Games. :agrue:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:26 pm
XBayareawarriorX

A Raider doesn't dress up in Halloween gear for games. If you knew the true meaning of Plata Di Negro. It's about wearing black 247365

I do respect Head Coach Marty Scrotumballsackdickheadhiemer for being such a fabulous coach of the Chargers and beating the Raiders on many occassions.

But how good would a superbowl be if it was Raiders vs Niners. Jets vs Giants or even Redskins vs Ravens... Raiders vs Niners is definately the best rivalry of week 5.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board