Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:42 pm
Nelson Returns To Warriors, Has Big Plans
Back for a second tenure with club, head coach likes Warriors' versatility
October 2, 2006

Coach Nelson has already begun discussing his plans with players like Jason Richardson and Mike Dunleavy.
New Warriors coach Don Nelson has always been one of the NBA's great strategists, but even he would tell you that X's and O's don't put points on the scoreboard. Players do. A great chess player needs to attack with his bishop as well as his rook, and Nelson is well-armed with versatile, skilled players as Golden State opens camp on Monday.
Led by guards Baron Davis and Jason Richardson, the Warriors will have one of the most exciting offenses in the league, as Nelson promises to magnify the team's strengths and minimize its weaknesses.

The Warriors are going to play more of an up-tempo game and will use the screen and roll alot with point guard Davis.

"We'll penetrate, go small and just go like hell," Nelson said.

It's a formula that once brought magic to the Arena in Oakland. When Nelson was leading Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Warriors made the playoffs in four of Nelson's six full seasons. A three-time Coach of the Year, Nelson spent the weeks leading up to training camp watching film of the current Warriors players and is excited about the upcoming season.

"I like a lot of the pieces that are here," he said.

Nelson doesn't worry about how big a player is, as long as he can "run, pass and shoot." He also has always had success with players who play more than one position, and the Warriors roster is chock full of versatile guards and forwards. Davis, Richardson, Mickael Pietrus and Mike Dunleavy can all move around the backcourt and small forward spot, and power forwards Troy Murphy and Ike Diogu will be seeing a lot of time at center. Sprinkle in offensive dynamos Monta Ellis and Dajuan Wagner and big men Adonal Foyle and Andris Biedrins, and the Nelson's run-and-gun offense promises to be big fun.

It all starts with Davis, who will be given more opportunities to shoot off pick-and-rolls and post-up weaker point guards. The offense will still run through the point guard, but it will often run to him, as well.

Nelson plans to utilize Baron Davis in the post this season.
"He is going to be a happy guy," Nelson said. "When he gives the ball up to Dunleavy, he'll be our first or second option (to score)." And the Warriors' plans to go with a smaller lineup starts off with a big edge in toughness and brawn in the backcourt.

"He is the best rebounder for a point guard in the league," Nelson said.

Richardson looks to pick up where he left off last year. He is making good progress from knee surgery in August, although he will miss the initial stages of training camp and the preseason.

The fifth-year shooting guard keeps finding ways to get better, and last year he averaged a career-high 23.2 points per game. To his awe-inspiring assortment of dunks, Richardson has added a 3-point shot (38 percent) and a fadeaway jumper.

Nelson could very well go with a three-guard lineup to start the season, with Richardson moving to small forward and possibly Davis and Ellis seeing a lot of time together in the backcourt. However, nothing is etched in stone.

"Ellis is a really good young player," Nelson said.

Mike Dunleavy will be often be used as a point forward in Nelson's up-tempo offense.
A year out of high school, Ellis discovered that his first step is too quick even for most guys in the NBA.

The small look would improve the team's ball-handling as well as its decision-making, which Nelson thought was a little lacking last season when it came to hoisting up 3-pointers.

Dunleavy would be opening the season at the power forward spot if the new coach goes with a three-guard lineup. It would be more of a point forward role, as he would run the offense on occasion and give Davis a chance to spot-up or post-up an opposing guard down low.

Dunleavy "is going to do real well in our system," Nelson said. "I'd be surprised if he doesn't. He's a good all-around player. He can free up Baron to not exert all of his energy bringing the ball up."

Dunleavy will not be looked to for scoring, unless he's out on the fast break. Which is not to say that he won't be vital to the Warriors' offense.

"People are judging Mike Dunleavy the wrong way," Nelson said. "Don't judge him by the shots he makes. He is a gifted player. His strengths are passing, his understanding of the game and what he does for the spacing of your offense."

That spacing could feature Murphy drawing opposing centers out to the perimeter, clearing the lanes for the guards to drive into. If they are a step slow getting to Murphy, he could then bust a 3-pointer over centers' flailing arms.

Murphy is "gung-ho" about playing center, and could be a sleeper pick for the All-Star team at his new position.

"He'll be open a lot and he can definitely make the open jump shot," Nelson said.

Nelson has big plans for Pietrus off the bench. The ball-hawking guard will be the Warriors' main defensive weapon, and will also be counted on to rebound and fill the lanes on the fast break.

"If he does those things, he is going to play a lot," Nelson said.

As will Diogu. Whether he's giving the Warriors a low-post presence at power forward or backing up Murphy at center, the second-year player out of Arizona State is being counted on for offense and rebounding.

"I like him," Nelson said. "He's a lot better shooter than people think."

The Warriors' core of starters will be looked upon to lead the team as they embark upon the 2006-07 season.
The X-factor could by Wagner, the free-agent signee who once scored 100 points in a high school game. The shooting guard will give the Warriors offense a shot in the arm whenever he comes into the game.

"I have been looking for a guy like him," Nelson said. "He is instant offense, just an excellent shooter and scorer."

The Warriors will definitely get The Arena rocking this season, and Nelson says they are already close to turning the corner -- even before they learn his system at training camp. After all, Golden State lost 17 games by 3 points or less or in overtime last season.

"If you want an easy fix for this team, it's free-throw shooting," Nelson said. "This team would have won six, seven more games just making their free throws, just making 75 (percent) instead of 71.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:25 pm
Thanks, Broe - who wrote it? Only thing I thought was odd was his comment that Ike is "a lot better shooter than people think". I mean the kid led rookies in field goal percentage and shot 81% from the free throw line, so I don't think the fact that he shoots well is much of a secret...anyway, overall it sounds like an exciting time - Nelson's teams are almost always tremendous offensively...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:23 pm
I like the article, but...

Don Nelson wrote:"He is the best rebounder for a point guard in the league,"

:scratch: Forgetting JKidd, Nelly...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:58 pm
Yea another nice article!

Nelson will have to show it all in the gams and WIN though

O.G. broe wrote:"We'll penetrate, go small and just go like hell," Nelson said.

I usually try to go big first, then penetrate and then go like hell! :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 am
Thanks for posting it, broe...

O.G. broe wrote:"People are judging Mike Dunleavy the wrong way," Nelson said. "Don't judge him by the shots he makes. He is a gifted player. His strengths are passing, his understanding of the game and what he does for the spacing of your offense."

He's right. We shouldn't judge Dun for the shots he makes. We should judge him for the shots he DOESN'T make... if he has such a great understanding of the game, hire him as an assistant. But if he can't shot and can't defend he's pretty much worthless.

The Ike comment is also weird. Good shooter?. So what?. We shouldn't focus on him as a shooter... more as an inside scorer and rebounder. If he's a good shooter, great, another weapon. But he's not going to play a Nowitzky role... there should be other comments to do about him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:07 am
#32 wrote:I like the article, but...

Maybe he can't see that far............. past the liquor cabinet! Baron's between him and the cabinet so he can see him :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:13 am
TMC wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:"People are judging Mike Dunleavy the wrong way," Nelson said. "Don't judge him by the shots he makes. He is a gifted player. His strengths are passing, his understanding of the game and what he does for the spacing of your offense."

He's right. We shouldn't judge Dun for the shots he makes. We should judge him for the shots he DOESN'T make... if he has such a great understanding of the game, hire him as an assistant. But if he can't shot and can't defend he's pretty much worthless.

:D

One problem - Such a bad influence at assistant coach can only make the offense go south and the defense totally disappear, not to mention all the guys on the team taking up getting kicked in the head during a game and whining like a girl as a habit :mrgreen:

TMC wrote:The Ike comment is also weird. Good shooter?. So what?. We shouldn't focus on him as a shooter... more as an inside scorer and rebounder. If he's a good shooter, great, another weapon. But he's not going to play a Nowitzky role... there should be other comments to do about him.

Right again - Nelson's baggage and fetish for clown acting creating drinks seem to be drastically effecting his vision at the minute, real concerning :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:04 am
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:I like the article, but...

Maybe he can't see that far............. past the liquor cabinet! Baron's between him and the cabinet so he can see him :mrgreen:

:roll: The guy feels free to have a couple of drinks with his wife and suddenly everybody's ready to cruxify him over it. This is a non-issue; it's like the gay marrage smoke screen during Iraq. We should keep our eyes on what actually matters; not unrelated, off-court drama.

TMC wrote:He's right. We shouldn't judge Dun for the shots he makes. We should judge him for the shots he DOESN'T make... if he has such a great understanding of the game, hire him as an assistant. But if he can't shot and can't defend he's pretty much worthless.

If that were true, Jason Kidd would have never made it in the league.

Dunleavy can pass the ball extremely well, handle without turnovers, and see's the court second to none (in Golden State). Plus, his rebounding numbers will improve at the pivot spot. Whether or not he'll make a good point forward is debatable, so let's save the Dun-bashing until after he chokes.

TMC wrote:The Ike comment is also weird. Good shooter?. So what?. We shouldn't focus on him as a shooter... more as an inside scorer and rebounder. If he's a good shooter, great, another weapon. But he's not going to play a Nowitzky role... there should be other comments to do about him.

I doubt Nelson is going to use Ike in a Nowitski role; I think it'll be more of a Udonis Haslem role. Haslem does the rebounding and defending in Miami, but what a lot of people don't realize is that his midrange J is automatic. Ike's the same thing... but his inside-post offense is leagues above Haslem (which makes him way more dangerous). Think Udonis Haslem with the inside game of Kevin Garnett... and you get Elton Brand II (aka, Ike Diogu).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:30 am
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:He's right. We shouldn't judge Dun for the shots he makes. We should judge him for the shots he DOESN'T make... if he has such a great understanding of the game, hire him as an assistant. But if he can't shot and can't defend he's pretty much worthless.

Jason Kidd is one of a kind. One of the best pgs to ever play the game, and one of the premiere defenders at his position (not at Payton's level, but pretty good). He could have the been the best pg of all time... but he never learned to shoot. Leave him out of this discussion, he doesn't belong here.

#32 wrote:Dunleavy can pass the ball extremely well, handle without turnovers, and see's the court second to none (in Golden State). Plus, his rebounding numbers will improve at the pivot spot. Whether or not he'll make a good point forward is debatable, so let's save the Dun-bashing until after he chokes.

That second to none... I guess Baron doesn't count, then. Anyway... about the passing skills, he's never averaged even 3 apg (close, 2.9 is his best). That's not a great passer. In fact, that's a pretty average one.

Now the rebounds. He'll give up more rebound than he will grab. So if his numbers go up to 6 rpg, but the opposing PF's got 4 rebounds more than in past seasons, it's worthless. Detrimental, in fact.

What's worse is that we already have a damned good PF on the bench...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 am
I'm not arguing; I'm all for the starting of Ike. But I'm saying let's not bash the point forward idea before we see it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:40 am
#32 wrote:I'm not arguing; I'm all for the starting of Ike. But I'm saying let's not bash the point forward idea before we see it.

Ok, I can wait. It'll be only a month, after all. :wink:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 pm
TMC wrote:Thanks for posting it, broe...

... if he has such a great understanding of the game, hire him as an assistant.

I don't want Dunny taking off his shirt and throwing it into the crowd if his players aren't playing well. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:08 pm
#32 wrote:

Dunleavy can pass the ball extremely well, handle without turnovers, and see's the court second to none (in Golden State). Plus, his rebounding numbers will improve at the pivot spot. Whether or not he'll make a good point forward is debatable, so let's save the Dun-bashing until after he chokes.

Just wrong talking about Kidd and dun in the same conversation!
Baron would my pick for best passer on the team. Yep, he has shown enough :mrgreen:

Dunny boy has already choked! Many times!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 am
well, the publicity machine is pushing Nelly, JRich, BD, Dung and Murphy, so clearly that is the start of the season
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 am
migya wrote:Just wrong talking about Kidd and dun in the same conversation!

Why? TMC said that players can't survive without defense or a decent shot. I simply brought up the fact that Jason Kidd had neither when he first entered the league... and he's been regarded as one of (if not the) best point guards in the league his entire stint in the NBA. It was an example against his statement; a retort, nothing more. I never said Dunleavy was going to be the next Jason Kidd or anything.

migya wrote:Dunny boy has already choked! Many times!

He hasn't choked; he has failed. But it was always in the same exact role. If you tell a walrus to fly, he'll fail every single time.

Playing small forward just wasn't Dunleavy's game; even in college, he spent more time at PF than SF. He can't keep up with quicker 3's. His height (6'9") means that playing PF isn't a stretch at all; in fact, it will probably be very benneficial for Dunleavy to use his carefully honed skills (ball-handling, passing, vision, ect) against slower, less coordinated players (like the bigger PFs).

Dunleavy failed miserably at small forward; but playing PF is a completely new challenge that we have yet to see the results for.
Next

Return to News Articles