The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

» Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:02 pm
damn, the niners sucked. if alex smith took 3 steps forward so far this season, he caught a bus going the opposite direction and stay on it until the end of the line.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:03 am
What a weekend... 6-7 pending the Eagles game... I'd probably get better results with random picks next time.

I'm really impressed with Chicago and Baltimore... and I'm not really sold on Grossman yet. Not because of the way he's been playing, but because his seasonal injury can't take long.

I still think that Seattle should be the favorite to win the NFC, but only if they have the best record (and they need Alexander to be back and healthy to get it). Nobody will be able to win in Seattle come playoff time... if not, I don't think they'll make it. In that case, Chicago is my pick for the NFC.

As for the AFC, Baltimore defense is impressive. If they're free of injuries, they should be the main contender. That's a big if, tho.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:23 am
The video of the weekend. 49ers highlights against the Chiefs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdo9c_AioL0
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:22 pm
I'm not even going to watch those highlights. It was already a horrible performance to say the least. Damn...

Anyone thinking the Bears will take the NFC? I'm pretty sure they can. The way the Bears are playing, there's no doubt in my mind they'll take the NFC this year by storm. They really love playing at Soldier Field, and that'll be the key if the Bears end up getting home field. 12-4, 13-3, 14-2, 15-1. Any of those records should be the Bears' record due to the fact their schedule are pretty automatic. The only game I see as a matchup is the New England one. Barring an upset or a major injury, this team is definitely a Superbowl contender.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5879
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:35 pm
The Bears won't be there at the end of the season i can tell you that.
Grossman is a choker against GREAT DEFENSES. It would have been a better game with Shawn Alexander moving those chains and the Seahawks defense getting to rest up a little more.

But what scares me the most is Seattle D can't shut down great Quaterbacks ( How good was Eli last weekend?- I don't know whether to praise Eli's recieving corp or blast Seattle Secondary)
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:02 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I'm not even going to watch those highlights. It was already a horrible performance to say the least. Damn...


Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.




You have no idea what you're missing. :wink:
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:The Bears won't be there at the end of the season i can tell you that.
Grossman is a choker against GREAT DEFENSES. It would have been a better game with Shawn Alexander moving those chains and the Seahawks defense getting to rest up a little more.

But what scares me the most is Seattle D can't shut down great Quaterbacks ( How good was Eli last weekend?- I don't know whether to praise Eli's recieving corp or blast Seattle Secondary)


I only have three teams in contention for the NFC. Seattle, Chicago and Philly. The one that has the better record wins it. Easy.

Now, the AFC is the conference where is going to be tough to pick.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:23 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I'm not even going to watch those highlights. It was already a horrible performance to say the least. Damn...


Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.




You have no idea what you're missing. :wink:



Hah, wow. I get it now.

TMC wrote:I only have three teams in contention for the NFC. Seattle, Chicago and Philly. The one that has the better record wins it. Easy.

Now, the AFC is the conference where is going to be tough to pick.


Well looking at the schedules, both Seattle and Chicago have the easier schedule over Philly. The Eagles have the NFC East to take care of along with two notable games being against the Colts and Panthers. I'm all in with Chicago. I'm not a Seahawks guy, and I do agree, Alexander is a difference maker, but because he's on the Madden cover and the Seahawks may sometime show the Superbowl hangover, that I'm with the Bears. Plus I'd like to see a championship go through Chi-town.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:03 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well looking at the schedules, both Seattle and Chicago have the easier schedule over Philly. The Eagles have the NFC East to take care of along with two notable games being against the Colts and Panthers. I'm all in with Chicago. I'm not a Seahawks guy, and I do agree, Alexander is a difference maker, but because he's on the Madden cover and the Seahawks may sometime show the Superbowl hangover, that I'm with the Bears. Plus I'd like to see a championship go through Chi-town.


Don't know about that. Philly has one of the most balanced teams of the whole league (Stallworth for a 4th and Simoneau was a steal), and their schedule ain't that hard. I can see them finish with a 13-3 record...

I'm not so sure about Seattle. They are one of the toughest teams at home, but they're much worse without Alexander and their O-Line still hasn't develop a viable substitute for Hutchinson.

Chicago will go as far as that defense leads them. And Grossman will probably go down injured at some point during the season. We'll see what happens then.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:38 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well looking at the schedules, both Seattle and Chicago have the easier schedule over Philly. The Eagles have the NFC East to take care of along with two notable games being against the Colts and Panthers. I'm all in with Chicago. I'm not a Seahawks guy, and I do agree, Alexander is a difference maker, but because he's on the Madden cover and the Seahawks may sometime show the Superbowl hangover, that I'm with the Bears. Plus I'd like to see a championship go through Chi-town.


Don't know about that. Philly has one of the most balanced teams of the whole league (Stallworth for a 4th and Simoneau was a steal), and their schedule ain't that hard. I can see them finish with a 13-3 record...

I'm not so sure about Seattle. They are one of the toughest teams at home, but they're much worse without Alexander and their O-Line still hasn't develop a viable substitute for Hutchinson.

Chicago will go as far as that defense leads them. And Grossman will probably go down injured at some point during the season. We'll see what happens then.


Well Stallworth is injured so that receiving core downgrades but Lewis, Brown, and Smith have been solid. They don't have a overall tough schedule, but their schedule looks tougher compared to Seattle's and Chicago's.

And I'm really pulling for the Bears to take it this year. I like their overall team and their chances.
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:37 pm
just curious...

do you guys think the carolina panthers will take care of business against the cleveland brownies?
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm
drfrank wrote:damn, the niners sucked. if alex smith took 3 steps forward so far this season, he caught a bus going the opposite direction and stay on it until the end of the line.

You can't just discount all the progress we've seen this season due to one game. I heard a moron on the radio talking about trading him after the Chiefs game. Even though he played QB like a total sav the first 3 games. Give the guy a break; it was a team loss. The defense played like crap... and Gore didn't help, either.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:07 pm
#32 wrote:
drfrank wrote:damn, the niners sucked. if alex smith took 3 steps forward so far this season, he caught a bus going the opposite direction and stay on it until the end of the line.

You can't just discount all the progress we've seen this season due to one game. I heard a moron on the radio talking about trading him after the Chiefs game. Even though he played QB like a total sav the first 3 games. Give the guy a break; it was a team loss. The defense played like crap... and Gore didn't help, either.


Well he must of been a major a*shole. One miserable performance and he says that. Oh well, more motivation for Alex.

Overall, Alex is making progress. He's doing well under Norv Turner so there's nothing to worry about. Gore has been fumble galore the past 4 games and that defense sucks just as bad. Smith is doing what he can, it's all on the others to help him out. He needs a supporting cast, and the way things are playing out, looks like there won't be one showing up any time soon. Overall, Alex is doing fine, it's the others that need to step up and progress with him.
» Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm
i said that in a tongue in cheek sort of way. the offensive line didn't give poor alex any time. but i thought smith's days of throwing into triple coverage were over.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:09 am
drfrank wrote:just curious...

do you guys think the carolina panthers will take care of business against the cleveland brownies?


Sure. Why not?. It's not like that Brownies are a powerhouse... they were close to losing against the RAAAAAAAIIIIder(ette)s. :mrgreen:

About the niners... Why don't people wait till next year to judge Alex Smith... I'd say he's going to be average at best, not a great qb, but not bad either. But he's still learning, and doesn't have much of a supporting cast (even less now with Davis out)... anyway, it's to early to say what he's going to be. He should be evaluated according to his third season.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest