Antawn jamison

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:36 am
I kind of like Murph, but him being our starting 5 worries me. I know on offense this will work because Murph can camp out by the 3 point line and the center that is guarding him will have to respect his shot and come out of the key.

This will free up a bunch of lanes for slashers or give Ike some room to post up on the block.

Now WTF is going to happen on defense when Murph is guarding Shaq or Wallace... :dontknow:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:11 am
TMC wrote:Troy Murphy is the most overrated (with Zach Rndolph) PF in the west. His numbers only look good in paper because he plays a ton of minutes alongside Foyle, Biedrins (who doesn't play much due to his constant fouling) and Ike (who never played much 'cos Monty was a fucktard). So he has no competition to get those numbers.

So what? He plays 34 minutes a game... and produces in them! It's not like Dunleavy, where he plays 30 minutes a night and exits the game with 4 points and 3 rebounds. Unless Murphy's had an off-night (which isn't often), he'll have 16 points and 12 rebounds. Consistently. That's not overrated, in my opinion. 90% of the power forwards in the game couldn't average 10 RPG in 34 minutes!

If your example holds true (about him being a great rebounder due to having no help on the boards), than why didn't Al Harrington average 10 rebounds a night last season? Zaza Pachulia (aka, white Adonal... who was Atlanta's 2nd leading rebounder) barely left the game with 5 per night... and Al still only grabbed 7 a game (in just as many minutes as Murph!).

TMC wrote:His stats:

3pp= .320 (which is not bad for a pf, but is not a good percentage).
fgp= .433 (again, average for an inside man)
rpg= 10.0 (looks good on paper... but who else gets boards on this team?. No one, which means Murphy would be a 7 rpg max at any other team)

Last season, his 3P% dropped (mostly due to the Ron Artest drama... he shot well outside of December-February). Prior to that, he shot 40% during his 4th year (the one before last). That's Dirk-status, man. It's not going to make Morris Peterson look bad, but it's damn good for a PF. I predict Murph will return to that status this season.

His FG% is average... which isn't bad, considering how many shots he takes from long-midrange. If Murphy was a post player, like most 4's, his % would be higher (46-48%).

And read above for justification of his rebounds.

TMC wrote:Add to that the fact that he doesn't know what the word defense means...

Right. That's what i said. Murphy's weaknesses are his speed and defense. Besides that, he's a DAMN good player... and he gets absolutely no love. This is exactly what i meant in my last post.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:28 am
#32 wrote:If your example holds true (about him being a great rebounder due to having no help on the boards), than why didn't Al Harrington average 10 rebounds a night last season? Zaza Pachulia (aka, white Adonal... who was Atlanta's 2nd leading rebounder) barely left the game with 5 per night... and Al still only grabbed 7 a game (in just as many minutes as Murph!).

The mighty Zaza averaged 8 rpg, Josh Smith averaged 6.6, Marvin Williams, in the few minutes he played, averaged almost 5 (4.8 ), Josh Childress was also above 5.

In our roster, only J-Rich, with 5.8, averaged more than 5 per game (and Murph, of course). Al Harrington had a lot more help than Murphy. He would average 10 rpg for us, too, if not more.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 am
Troy Murphy averaged 10 rebounds a game in 34 minutes. The only people to average more rebounds in just as many minutes were Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan. The rest (Elton Brand, KG, Howard, and Marion) played an average of 39 minutes a night. 2 more boards in an extra 5 minutes is expected.

Per 48 minutes, Murphy grabs 14.2 boards (aka, 8th in the league per 48). 'The Mighty' Zaza is 29th with 11.9 rebounds. Murphy's legit.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:55 am
#32 wrote:Troy Murphy averaged 10 rebounds a game in 34 minutes. The only people to average more rebounds in just as many minutes were Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan. The rest (Elton Brand, KG, Howard, and Marion) played an average of 39 minutes a night. 2 more boards in an extra 5 minutes is expected.

Per 48 minutes, Murphy grabs 14.2 boards (aka, 8th in the league per 48). 'The Mighty' Zaza is 29th with 11.9 rebounds. Murphy's legit.

That doesn't change my point. With the mighty Zaza by his side, Murph would average 8 rpg... he just gets more 'cos no one else does for our team. That applies no matter how many minutes he plays.

In fact, the more minutes he plays, the more overrated he gets, 'cos his numbers look better without really being.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:58 am
Well, than I guess it just boils down to opinion. I don't agree with you; I think Murphy would be a good rebounder (9-11 per game) wherever he played.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:58 pm
#32 wrote:Well, than I guess it just boils down to opinion. I don't agree with you; I think Murphy would be a good rebounder (9-11 per game) wherever he played.

Yeah, it's all opinion. And Nellie's one is the only one that counts right now. So no biggie. Just wait and hope for the best.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:10 pm
Big B wrote:I kind of like Murph, but him being our starting 5 worries me. I know on offense this will work because Murph can camp out by the 3 point line and the center that is guarding him will have to respect his shot and come out of the key.

This will free up a bunch of lanes for slashers or give Ike some room to post up on the block.

Now WTF is going to happen on defense when Murph is guarding Shaq or Wallace... :dontknow:

As long as the rest of the lineup, especially the guards, create matchup problems for the other team, it should work because it will force the other team to adjust

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:13 pm
Murphy isn't a headcase so right there I like him more than a few PFs out there but I just want Diogu to get alot more court time, that's all!

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:15 pm
#32 wrote:
John Patrick wrote:Yeah but Big B is right, they wouldn't do this EVER. Bad contracts, slow, do I need to go on...

Murphy's contract isn't bad; it's very reasonable.

Murphy's only weaknesses are his defense and his speed. Aside from that, the man can shoot from anywhere on the floor and rebound just as well as anyone in the league. He's a good player... and he's getting no love at all.

man finally someone agree with me
This is the year
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:23 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Murphy's only weaknesses are his defense and his speed. Aside from that, the man can shoot from anywhere on the floor and rebound just as well as anyone in the league. He's a good player... and he's getting no love at all.

Troy Murphy is the most overrated (with Zach Rndolph) PF in the west. ...

troy murpy is not overrated this guy com in night in and night out and try his best for us, he give double-double on most night u dont dont see that alot this guy is underated
This is the year
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:48 am
hellkiller wrote:
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Murphy's only weaknesses are his defense and his speed. Aside from that, the man can shoot from anywhere on the floor and rebound just as well as anyone in the league. He's a good player... and he's getting no love at all.

Troy Murphy is the most overrated (with Zach Rndolph) PF in the west. ...

troy murpy is not overrated this guy com in night in and night out and try his best for us, he give double-double on most night u dont dont see that alot this guy is underated

Look at my points about his stats. They look better 'cos he's the only semi-reliable inside player we have, thus he gets more boards, points... than he should.

I'm not saying he sucks. He's a decent role player... but I wouldn't like him starting for me, and his salary is absurd for a role player.

Once again, it's all a matter of opion. I've said several times that the only players I'd keep from this team are J-Rich, Ike, Ellis and Biedrins. Everyone else is a bad fit for a championship team. But that's only me...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:56 am
TMC wrote:I've said several times that the only players I'd keep from this team are J-Rich, Ike, Ellis and Biedrins. Everyone else is a bad fit for a championship team. But that's only me...

Tough customer aren't ya! :wink:

Baron, if he got his attitude and health worked out could be added to that list but it is pretty right though Biedrins still has to prove himself more than he has

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:19 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:I've said several times that the only players I'd keep from this team are J-Rich, Ike, Ellis and Biedrins. Everyone else is a bad fit for a championship team. But that's only me...

Baron, if he got his attitude and health worked out could be added to that list but it is pretty right though Biedrins still has to prove himself more than he has

Baron should be there on talent, but he has some baggage. For a player that makes 15 million this year, 16 the next one and 17 the next, I expect much more than a player that doesn't always play up to that talent (when he's not injured).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:35 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Baron should be there on talent, but he has some baggage. For a player that makes 15 million this year, 16 the next one and 17 the next, I expect much more than a player that doesn't always play up to that talent (when he's not injured).

It's his attitude and somewhat lack of motivation that gets me pissed! Not what a so caled leader should be like and that is why I'm thinking that another PG might have to be found if the team wants to be a championship caliber one!

PreviousNext

Return to Trades