Bonzi Wells apparently signing with Houston

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:30 am
BY GOLDENSTATE OF MIND
Rocket Boost: Bonzi Signs with the Rox
By Fantasy Junkie
Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 06:58:15 PM JST
Section: NBA
One of our anonymous inside sources, is reporting that Bonzi Wells is signing with the Houston Rockets for 2 years, $5 million.


Wells turned down a five-year, $36 million offer earlier this summer to remain with Sacramento after averaging 23.2 points for the Kings in the playoffs...
Now I may not be a math major, but according to my calculations, I think the Kings deal was better. It's like Bonzi told his agent to negotiate the worst possible contract. "No no, 5 years, $36 million? That's way too much. If you can get me $31 million less, that would be perfect." Craziness I tell you.



"We're really good friends," McGrady told ESPN Insider's Chris Sheridan on Wednesday. "I was with Bonzi this offseason, was talking to him, and Houston's a place he's real interested in. He's a grown man, he's been in this league for a long time, and the decision will really come down to him."
Shoot, this is what superstars can do for a team. They're friends with everybody and everybody wants to play with them. I'm sure the conversation went like this:

TMac: Yo Bonzi, come help me win a championship in Houston.
Bonzi: Okay.

That's it. Then the next day Bonzi signs a two year deal worth $5 mil. Wait let me write that again, 2 years, $5 million. 2 years, $5 million! Are you kidding me? For a guy who scored 23ppg in the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs, that's just a ridiculously low contract. I thought it was some sort of hometown discount, but Bonzi's from Muncie, Indiana, nowhere near Houston. See how easy it is when you have a superstar? Even if the Warriors wanted to sign Bonzi, they would not have stood a chance against Tracy McGrady's mad crazy salesman skillz.

I thought the Rockets were going to contend with just the Shane Battier trade, but with Bonzi, they should be able to solidify a top 4 spot in the West. The big key to this deal is that it works as insurance if and when TMac goes down with an injury. They now have two very capable players in Battier and Bonzi to fill in the gaps so the team doesn't suffer through long losing periods like last year. So even if TMac misses a quarter of the regular season, but the Rockets make the playoffs, you still get TMac back for the games that count. All in all, it was a great deal for the Rockets.

I rank the top 4 teams in the West as:
Mavs
Spurs
Suns
Warriors (haha just kidding) - Rockets

*Also see mydedgerbil555's diary: bonzi's gone

Even at 2 years, $5 million, would Bonzi have fit on the Golden State Warriors?






If this happens, the Rockets will be a top 4 team!

Either of Bonzi or Battier will have to be 6th man because neither is really a PF, though they might try it having Battier at PF (he is 6'8) and Bonzi at SG or SF, with TMac either SG or SF.

If they are mostly healthy, especially Yao and TMac, they will be real contenders!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 am
migya wrote:If this happens, the Rockets will be a top 4 team!

Either of Bonzi or Battier will have to be 6th man because neither is really a PF, though they might try it having Battier at PF (he is 6'8) and Bonzi at SG or SF, with TMac either SG or SF.

If they are mostly healthy, especially Yao and TMac, they will be real contenders!


Is it official or something?, 'cos I don't believe it. A two year deal for only 5 million?. Sounds too good of a deal for the Rockets...
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:01 pm
Yeah, this would be a strange move by Bonzi. I dunno if I buy it.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:40 pm
#32 wrote:Yeah, this would be a strange move by Bonzi. I dunno if I buy it.


It's done now... Weird, but a great move for the Rockets.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:29 pm
Wow. Bonzi Wells has absolutely no business mind. We may have to keep this in mind.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:51 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Yeah, this would be a strange move by Bonzi. I dunno if I buy it.


It's done now... Weird, but a great move for the Rockets.



Where did you read that it was done?

Does look very cheap for what he could get but he may just be looking for a situation where he can get a championship and maybe carve out a secure long term place for himself
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 pm
It's done - check out ESPN.

He's just doing this with plans to re-enter the FA market next offseason, as he'll just not exercise his player option with the Rockets. Still, this contract is completely ludicrous! How is this even possible? He must have been in panic mode, and just wanted to sign with a good tem to up his value for next year. But after all ths, I'd be surprised if he gets offered anythig near what the Queens did. I have a very hard time believing that NO teams offered him a pretty decent sized contract. Why couldn't the Warriors, with a new coach and some promise, throw like 3 times that at him and seen what happened? Hell, maybe they did, and he's just crazy, but this is the weirdest thing that's happened this offseason...
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:36 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:It's done - check out ESPN.

He's just doing this with plans to re-enter the FA market next offseason, as he'll just not exercise his player option with the Rockets. Still, this contract is completely ludicrous! How is this even possible? He must have been in panic mode, and just wanted to sign with a good tem to up his value for next year. But after all ths, I'd be surprised if he gets offered anythig near what the Queens did. I have a very hard time believing that NO teams offered him a pretty decent sized contract. Why couldn't the Warriors, with a new coach and some promise, throw like 3 times that at him and seen what happened? Hell, maybe they did, and he's just crazy, but this is the weirdest thing that's happened this offseason...


It's not that weird. It makes (some) sense. He's betting on having a great season for a very good team, opting out of his contract and cashing in the next offseason... obviously, that may backfire if he gets injured or plays poorly. But the idea is not bad, just riskier than usual.

As to why the Rockets?. Easy, they have, on paper, enough talent for a deep playoff run... and didn't have a SG blocking his starting spot. He had a similar contract offer from the Spurs, but with Ginobili there he would have played a lot less.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 am
Yeah, it does make some sense for sure. If he's able to stay healthy and play well, and Houston does well, he will command a big contract after next season. Those are all ifs, though. It just seems like it may be hard, even after a good season this year, for him to get a better contract than what Sacto offered him. Also, as far as playing time, it's not as if he'll get as much playing time or exposure ashe would in other places. Tmac and Yao will score most of the points, and with Battier playing the same position as him, he'll be competeing for playing time, let alone points. I see how it could work out well for him in the end, it's just shocking when someone like Bonsi (a non-star, but very good player) turns down monwy like he was offered, only to take a gamble like this. The Rockets are serious winners here, as this is an absolute STEAL for them. They have to be considered a much bigger force in the west now, if they can finally sidestep all the health problems that have plagued them in recent years.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:39 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:It just seems like it may be hard, even after a good season this year, for him to get a better contract than what Sacto offered him.


It was "just" a $35 million contract. I mean, he probably thought that, if Dunleavy, Caron Butler or Tayshaun Prince signed last year for $45 million, he should get something like that, at least.

baytobrooklyn wrote:Also, as far as playing time, it's not as if he'll get as much playing time or exposure ashe would in other places. Tmac and Yao will score most of the points, and with Battier playing the same position as him, he'll be competeing for playing time, let alone points.


Battier will play PF, from what the Rockets are saying. Bonzi will have the competition of Luther Head and Vassilis Spanoulis... and he shouldn't have problems beating those two for minutes.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:24 am
My heavens is it ludicrous to think about Dunleavy making as much money as Tayshaun. It's like you know it's happening, but something about seeing it in that post really just made it hit home with me for the first time in a while.
<shudder>
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:36 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:My heavens is it ludicrous to think about Dunleavy making as much money as Tayshaun. It's like you know it's happening, but something about seeing it in that post really just made it hit home with me for the first time in a while.
<shudder>


Yeah, you tell me... :banghead:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:58 am
I do like Nelson calling them out on free throws. From what I watched last year (way too many) the only truly consistent free throw shooters were Fish and Ike, and Fish is now gone. Hope Nelson drills them, cause a collective 5% increase would result in 6-7 more wins/year...yes, the 2 grotesque contracts are both Mullin's - Dunleavy and Foyle, though both understandable at the time they were done.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests