I Miss Fish

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you miss Fish?

Yes, he contributed more than people give him credit for last year.
1
6%
It would have been nice to keep him... but I understand.
6
35%
Kinda... but I have high hopes for Dajuan Wagner and Keith McCloud.
2
12%
Of course not. We're better off without him.
8
47%
 
Total votes : 17

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:38 am
migya wrote:Fisher was not my favourite player, nowhere near it! He was however, a solid player that was not real good but effective enough that he made a positive difference for the team. He was a good veteran presence for all the young players on the team and so in the end he did an acceptable job!

I say Derek Fisher was a solid player and not a bad one!


Yeah, I do, too. A pretty stupid contract for a role player... I'd love him for 3 million less per year.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21377
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:29 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Fisher was not my favourite player, nowhere near it! He was however, a solid player that was not real good but effective enough that he made a positive difference for the team. He was a good veteran presence for all the young players on the team and so in the end he did an acceptable job!

I say Derek Fisher was a solid player and not a bad one!


Yeah, I do, too. A pretty stupid contract for a role player... I'd love him for 3 million less per year.



I reckon his contract was what other teams would have given him. Look at it - he was a starter on a 3 straight championships team, he has hit clutch shots and has almost ten years of experience; that will get you 6-8 million a year!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:32 am
migya wrote:I reckon his contract was what other teams would have given him. Look at it - he was a starter on a 3 straight championships team, he has hit clutch shots and has almost ten years of experience; that will get you 6-8 million a year!


But only the Warriors did... think about that. He was a free agent and picked the biggest offer. Why would anyone (at that time) sign with the Warriors if they weren't overpaying for him?.

He had a lot of suitors, just not at that price.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21377
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:20 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I reckon his contract was what other teams would have given him. Look at it - he was a starter on a 3 straight championships team, he has hit clutch shots and has almost ten years of experience; that will get you 6-8 million a year!


But only the Warriors did... think about that. He was a free agent and picked the biggest offer. Why would anyone (at that time) sign with the Warriors if they weren't overpaying for him?.

He had a lot of suitors, just not at that price.




I reckon he would have had a few teams after him
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:23 am
migya wrote:I reckon he would have had a few teams after him


Yeah, from what I remember, San Antonio and other two teams wanted him... but not at that price.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:40 pm
Migya, the main problem with his contract is length. Last year, he earned his 6 million, but in a few years, that contract is going to produce nightmares.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21377
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:59 pm
John Patrick wrote:Migya, the main problem with his contract is length. Last year, he earned his 6 million, but in a few years, that contract is going to produce nightmares.




Not our problem now :mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:34 am
migya wrote:
John Patrick wrote:Migya, the main problem with his contract is length. Last year, he earned his 6 million, but in a few years, that contract is going to produce nightmares.




Not our problem now :mrgreen:


Yeah, it's lenght... it never goes over 7.5 million, but it has for more seasons in it. Fish will be 36 during his last season... and, honestly, I can't see him contributing at that age.

Oh, well, as migya said, not our problem now.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:31 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Fisher was not my favourite player, nowhere near it! He was however, a solid player that was not real good but effective enough that he made a positive difference for the team. He was a good veteran presence for all the young players on the team and so in the end he did an acceptable job!

I say Derek Fisher was a solid player and not a bad one!


Yeah, I do, too. A pretty stupid contract for a role player... I'd love him for 3 million less per year.



I reckon his contract was what other teams would have given him. Look at it - he was a starter on a 3 straight championships team, he has hit clutch shots and has almost ten years of experience; that will get you 6-8 million a year!

This is exactly right. The Warriors outbid other teams for Derek Fisher. Think of the "Ben Wallace signing" this offseason... but on a much smaller scale (talent AND money).
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:35 pm
#32 wrote:This is exactly right. The Warriors outbid other teams for Derek Fisher. Think of the "Ben Wallace signing" this offseason... but on a much smaller scale (talent AND money).


In other words, dumb. Why overpay for someone that isn't that good to begin with?

If you're going to overpay for someone, it better be a star.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm
Not necessarily. We needed a PG and a veteran. Fisher was a great addition to the Warriors, at the time. We overpaid... according to what Fisher was worth at the time, but we didn't break the bank on him. It's not like we gave him a 4-year, $60 million deal.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:45 pm
#32 wrote:Not necessarily. We needed a PG and a veteran. Fisher was a great addition to the Warriors, at the time. We overpaid... according to what Fisher was worth at the time, but we didn't break the bank on him. It's not like we gave him a 4-year, $60 million deal.


Yeah, but, according to my standards, the contract we gave him was dumb and the one you're proposing would be a "fire me" message by any GM. There's a difference.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm
Overpaying is always dumb. That's why it's called 'over-paying'.

We paid Fisher what we needed to in order to get him on our team. We needed a PG and a veteran; Fish provided both. It's not that crazy to me. In fact, I'd say he over-achieved last year from what we expected out of him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:07 pm
#32 wrote:Overpaying is always dumb. That's why it's called 'over-paying'.


Not if it helps your team get to the next level. I think that the Bulls signing Big Ben (and the way they did it, with only a 4 year contract) is smart overpaying.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:49 pm
Well the way you describe overpaying, all I can say is that he MUST perform up to the money's worth, improve the team, and take em deep in the playoffs. If he doesn't, then you just cost yourself some extra cash to reel in the fish from the FA.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron