I Miss Fish

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you miss Fish?

Yes, he contributed more than people give him credit for last year.
6%
It would have been nice to keep him... but I understand.
35%
Kinda... but I have high hopes for Dajuan Wagner and Keith McCloud.
12%
Of course not. We're better off without him.
47%

Total votes : 17

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:10 am
Yeah, I know. Most of you think I'm crazy.

You're going to get on my case about his contract, about how he was a shoot-first PG, about how his handling skills weren't the best for a point, that he was roadblocking Monta Ellis, ect, ect.

I get it. But here's some interesting information:

Derek Fisher started for the Golden State Warriors in 36 of their games last season. And in those 36 games, these were his nightly averages:

15.77 PPG, 6.08 APG, 2.88 RPG, 2.14 SPG in 36.9 MPG... connecting on 52 out of 130 shots for 3 (aka, 40%, folks)

The Fish Hate was strong on this board last year. But even so... something tells me that I'm going to miss a backup PG who gives us 16 & 6, consistently, whenever our starting point is out. :oops:

I know Dajuan and Monta could easily score this many buckets in starting minutes... but neither could do it while dishing out 6 assists per game. And 40% from the arc isn't 'average', people. That's Dirk-status. That's Ray Allen-status. That's the kind of numbers that are in the league's Top 10. And doing it all with over 2 steals a game...?

With the recent sign of Dajuan Wagner, it's clear that Monta Ellis will be playing SG... so Fisher wouldn't have been a block this season. The trade was purely a salary drop. That being said:

:salute: Derek Fisher, I salute you. By any stretch of the imagination, you earned your money last year.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 am
I don't think you're crazy... but I want a big, bad shark, not a fluffy fish.

In other words, the trade was an admission that his signing was a mistake... so we're better off without him in the long term. Maybe this way we can use that money to resign someone when needed (I'm thinking specifically about Monta, who finishes contract this year).
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 am
you all know how i feel about that scrub...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:32 am
I really think Fisher helped us win games last year.

Regardless of how anybody feels about his contract or anything, the guy was one of the Warriors main men last year. He kept us from a <30 season.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:35 am
#32 wrote:I really think Fisher helped us win games last year.

Regardless of how anybody feels about his contract or anything, the guy was one of the Warriors main men last year. He kept us from a <30 season.

Great, so he's the reason we don't have Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy on the team.

This deserves a big f*ck you, Derek Fisher.

:mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:39 pm
When Fish was signed as a free agent the state of the Warriors needed a professional veteran player and presence to help evolve a young team that Chris Mullin was and still is committed to developing, also this was at a time where free agents didn't want to be a Warrior and before the Baron acquisition :!: PEACE OUT FISH you did your job 8)
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:49 pm
fish was a good player. he was not starter calibre anymore. he made dumb decisions on every fast break. using your favorite "a/m" stat he had about the same passing profiency of AI (who you were complaining was such a ball hog). He was a decent player, but I think we would have been better off giving the young guys lots of run and getting a better guy in the draft
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:00 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:using your favorite "a/m" stat he had about the same passing profiency of AI (who you were complaining was such a ball hog).

During his starting minutes, Fisher shot an average of 12.8 shots per night. Iverson shot 25.3 A GAME!!! That's why AI is a ballhog; because he shoots an unbelievable amount of shots for a PG (not because his assists numbers are weak... they're just overrated).

And as dumb as one can argue he played on the fast break, no one can deny how good he was at stopping the fast break. Fisher was a pro at watching opponent's eyes and cutting off the pass before it got there. He came out on top during multiple 3-on-1 situations last year... that's something no one else on the team can say.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:27 pm
yup...fish did his job and he did it pretty well but it was time and i can only hope him the best…we all knew that he wasn't about to tear it up if he was the starting point guard when he came here; i considered him a younger mookie blaylock that can guide our younger players…although he did get paid pretty damn well…

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:54 pm
Before the Wagner signing, we could have said that Fisher was the one Warrior who could sink the last shot of the game.

Fisher played better than what many of us had expected, but he was paid more than what he was worth.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:13 pm
uptempo wrote:Fisher played better than what many of us had expected, but he was paid more than what he was worth.

I think Fisher was paid very correctly, judging by what he did.

When he was signed (and even his first year), one could argue that the price we paid was a bit inflated (especially when he became a backup). But he contributed great numbers when he was thrust into starting minutes. He played half the season in a starting role... and averaged 16 and 6. I don't mind paying a PG what he made, so long as they produced like that. It was an excellent year for Derek Fisher. No one can deny that.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:40 pm
#32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:Fisher played better than what many of us had expected, but he was paid more than what he was worth.

I think Fisher was paid very correctly, judging by what he did.

When he was signed (and even his first year), one could argue that the price we paid was a bit inflated (especially when he became a backup). But he contributed great numbers when he was thrust into starting minutes. He played half the season in a starting role... and averaged 16 and 6. I don't mind paying a PG what he made, so long as they produced like that. It was an excellent year for Derek Fisher. No one can deny that.

I agree. It may have seemed like a big contract, but we all know who's Warrior contract was worse. Fisher performed accordingly to what he was paid to do. Sure, he wasn't that player that he was as a Laker, but he did what he had. I'll miss him, but his departure was something understandable.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:I really think Fisher helped us win games last year.

Great, so he's the reason we don't have Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy on the team.

This deserves a big f*ck you, Derek Fisher.

Get out of here you lucky you had Shaq and Kobe on your team or you wouldn't have won shiit dog!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:11 pm
Fisher was not my favourite player, nowhere near it! He was however, a solid player that was not real good but effective enough that he made a positive difference for the team. He was a good veteran presence for all the young players on the team and so in the end he did an acceptable job!

I say Derek Fisher was a solid player and not a bad one!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:02 pm
migya wrote:Fisher was not my favourite player, nowhere near it! He was however, a solid player that was not real good but effective enough that he made a positive difference for the team. He was a good veteran presence for all the young players on the team and so in the end he did an acceptable job!

I say Derek Fisher was a solid player and not a bad one!

Yo Migs i think Fisher was signed to help sell California ticket season holders in his L.A heyday to help Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, George Clooney etc etc allstar cast of celebrites to root for the Warriors.

However The Warriors got a dude who's been spending his time behind the camera rehabbing injuries. hope Baron can get Dajaun Wagner Jrich and Monta Ellis some go out on the fastbreak and score some buckets. I don't think Fish would have been able to play in this system.

Oh well Jerry Sloan must have found his finding nemo Derek Fisher isn't swimming in the Pacific now his battling on the reef in the mountains hearing the Piste whistle like the Utah JAzz
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball