On The Subject Of God & Religion

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:18 am
It's been a month now since I visited a particular Poker Web Site ... only to find a Bulletin Board message advertising for a Poker Blog video producer.

I'm a video producer.

It became the Primary Subject of the Premier Episode of my new television show ... as has God ... because I believe in God, and in Jesus Christ and I would like this program to be very successful.

Surfing that board since then, I confess I also found it interesting that there was more than one thread that included some kind of conversation on the subject of God. Specifically, what sort of things did folks think God might have to say about Poker?

Having started on this board with such overwhelmingly popular threads as:
  • Who Really Cares About Free Throws?
  • What Do Warrior Folks Think About Poker?

And before getting blown completely off the board, for whatever, why not ASK a question about what various folks on this board think about God and/or Religion?

Whoops, sorry. Wrong Question
Why not, as a question, asks for wrong answers.

Would a discussion of God have any relevance to the people that frequent this Bulletin Board?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:41 am
SoCooLBob wrote:Having started on this board with such overwhelmingly popular threads as:

::lol:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:35 pm
God creates luck and opportunity

just like the devil does too ( But the devils luck is actually created by god to make people stronger through hardship and battling )

God would always bet on red cards. the friendly cards of diamonds and hearts where the devil would use his magic to make the Spades and Clubs (the weapons) the power that kills your hand

God would like to see the Weapons more so then the Red cards cause the black cards make his cards exciting.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:28 pm
#32 wrote:
SoCooLBob wrote:Having started on this board with such overwhelmingly popular threads as:

::lol:

Popular at first to some maybe Bob but it did lose it's momentum

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:42 pm
As far as Religion goes - I've made it clear (and given some facts) that all major world religions (and most of the smaller more unknows ones) are derived from the ancient Sun Religions and Cults from Egypt. You look at them all and their is reference to a central figure (eg. Jesus, Budha, Krishna, Muhummed) and 12 lesser figures around them - Like the Sun and the 12 constallations! Religions were made and still serve the purpose successfully of mind controlling people and keeping tham from realising their true capabilities. All this is to benefit the fascists that just want slaves serving them and don't want to be superceded!

As far as god goes - I am a believer that we are all a cell of god! We all will reach perfection and be all mighty and allknowning at some time in this reality but there will be experiences and changes on the journey. The ultimate truth is that we all will be equal in godness

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:01 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and God.

look at nature. the beauty of this world - its amazing.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:24 pm
kfresh wrote:I believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and God.

What does have to do with one character? Nothing!

I've never understood why people can follow the Bible and its killing, blood thirsty god character!

I respect peole and what they can be, not texts and wrong ideas that indoctrinate and influence pople to judge very harshly!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 pm
migya wrote:

I've never understood why people can follow the Bible and its killing, blood thirsty god character!

I respect peole and what they can be, not texts and wrong ideas that indoctrinate and influence pople to judge very harshly!

It's all how you interpret it. I'm a Christian, too... and I wouldn't consider my God to be a killing, blood thirsty character. It's different for everyone.

There's something to be said that the majority of humans on this planet have faith in something, though. There's a natural calling from humans to a higher plane of existence. It just so happens that we live in an era that overthinks things (which always causes confusing... and, in some cases, withdrawl). :wink:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:31 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:

It's all how you interpret it. I'm a Christian, too... and I wouldn't consider my God to be a killing, blood thirsty character. It's different for everyone.

There's something to be said that the majority of humans on this planet have faith in something, though. There's a natural calling from humans to a higher plane of existence. It just so happens that we live in an era that overthinks things (which always causes confusing... and, in some cases, withdrawl). :wink:

Hes far from a bloodthirsty, killing God --as far as I know and experienced as a Christian[Protestant]--

I don't know why you would think so miggy. Maybe Islam? thats a totally different story though and they definitely have misinterpreted some of the scriptures over the years and branched off far from Christianity/Catholicism.

And yeah i agree with 32 that many people do tend to overthink about the things written in the Bible.
The evidence for a God/Christ is definitely there. And so far, the Bible has yet to been proven wrong, so as long as your open-minded give Christianity a chance miggy. you won't regret it
:mrgreen:
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 pm
Jesus Christ is not only apart of the Christian faith. Greek and (pre-Catholic) Roman texts regard Jesus Christ as a "miracle worker"... even though they weren't Christian or Jewish.

That's history. Not mythology. Plain, old fashion, written down history.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:50 pm
migya wrote:I've never understood why people can follow the Bible and its killing, blood thirsty god character!

Preferably never say never my friend.
Just exactly HOW is one supposed to follow advice like that?

I attended college. Went to law school. Read a lot of books, but ... the one book I could never read was The Bible. I was in my mid twenties I'm sure, maybe even later than that. I literally couldn't read two or maybe three pages of it.

I did have some Aunt's who were EXTREMELY FABULOUSLY CONNECTED TO Jesus Christ And God ... My One Aunt I say had the job of Welcoming souls into this world ... children. The love that flows from a True Christian, or anybody else who may find a different way to get in that space.

But ... I did get "into" the "Art Of Self Improvement" and I did, at one time, decide, perhaps, it was a clue.

Why wouldn't I be able to read this.
Especially because, from my perception as a little child, including aunt's and uncles and Bible Books, I have ALWAYS Loved ... at the very least ... "the notion" ... of Jesus Christ.

When I finally was able to read it ...

{The Bible I read daily is wearing well, heavily noted & underlined OCDImage}
And I do greatly appreciate the various versions Online

I definitely don't read it as an intellectual exercise.

I definitely believe in the benefits of "putting God first," and believe that those benefits may be revealed to anyone.

'Course I believe that anybody can make their free throws. Image

I've had some interesting observations over time, especially with regard to The Old Testament. I confess I much prefer The New Testament ... First Four Books ... but since it's been a while now I have a much greater familiarity with the wisdom contained inside.

The only thing that really counts to me is what one Asks of oneself and one's God. I say there's a God because when I Asked for mine ... he showed up BIG TIME ... and does ... again and again and again.
One of the more fascinating things that I ever heard anyone say on the subject was said by the more famous Robert Kennedy Jr. Jr. on Larry King
{a known Biblical resource ô¿~} ... when asked how he could still have his faith despite the tragedy's of the Kennedy family ... he said .. there's no way he couldn't have faith .. everytime he ASKED .. something showed up ... as he described .. Always .. Immediately .. Or Very Shortly ..

That's the real demonstration to me of faith ... and by the way the faith and/or the love I would describe is anything but "political."

I do make one political statement on the subject. I'm confused by those who are described as Christians, describe themselves as Christians etc. , in High Places ... I'm confused because I don't understand how they could be reading and/or studying the same book I'm reading.

You ask and something shows up.

Sound familiar ...
Boring ... Repetetive ...

The goals tend to be different ... and less repetitive.
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:What does have to do with one character? Nothing!

Read the entire bible....... do it.......... from start to finish and you will find nothing but violence ordered by the biblical god! The Old Teastament is especially violent and sexually perverted, all with the consent and demand of the biblical god! Hard to interpret that any different :wink:

#32 wrote:There's something to be said that the majority of humans on this planet have faith in something, though. There's a natural calling from humans to a higher plane of existence. It just so happens that we live in an era that overthinks things (which always causes confusing... and, in some cases, withdrawl). :wink:

We are called to a higher plane of existence because that is where we are headed, that is the aim and purpose of this realm of life! It is true that people think way to much and when you think too much, you stuff things up!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 pm
kfresh wrote:Hes far from a bloodthirsty, killing God --as far as I know and experienced as a Christian[Protestant]--

I don't know why you would think so miggy. Maybe Islam? thats a totally different story though and they definitely have misinterpreted some of the scriptures over the years and branched off far from Christianity/Catholicism.

And yeah i agree with 32 that many people do tend to overthink about the things written in the Bible.
The evidence for a God/Christ is definitely there. And so far, the Bible has yet to been proven wrong, so as long as your open-minded give Christianity a chance miggy. you won't regret it
:mrgreen:

I don't think any of this, I just read all the bible (a very boring and tedious thing to do) and after all the killing of tribes and thousands of people by the Jews (all commanded by the biblical god) and the sexual perversion (including incest) ordered and commended by the biblical god - I came to the conclusion as you would with anything obvious! :wink:

Gotta research and not be a blind follower of anything and only then will you uncover the truth!

Here is a link that is interesting = http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.html

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 pm
#32 wrote:Jesus Christ is not only apart of the Christian faith. Greek and (pre-Catholic) Roman texts regard Jesus Christ as a "miracle worker"... even though they weren't Christian or Jewish.

That's history. Not mythology. Plain, old fashion, written down history.

Jesus Christ is no fact! That character is not written about anywhere but in the bible and no other writing of that time! Greek historians who travelled the surrounding areas (like the middle east and europe) never wrote of such a character that the bible says was so well known and people from far places cam to see him! Does not add up!!!!

There is no reason why the Jesus character is so similar to other main characters of other religions that came before his time!!!!

Do some reading and research and you will find out the same!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:45 pm
I've read the Bible. From front to back. And, like I said, if you interpret every word to be true, than that's one thing. But most of the stories are about the message they get across.

It's true, the Bible is realistically violent... but so is real life. All the more reason I believe what it says; because it pertains to what I see everyday. Look at Iraq. That's violent. It doesn't make God a bad guy because he's not stopping it from happening. Free will is a gift... and for him to constantly interfere with the ways of the world (fixing every mistake we make) would almost be the equivalent of taking that gift away.

But, really, what works for you works for you. I'm a Christian because it works for me and I believe it. If it doesn't work for you, than more power to your cause. I'm not trying to convert you; I'm just telling you why I believe it.
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum