The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:28 pm
wow, the jets? you're really going on out a limb. that game is going to be a crapshoot so i want to stay away from it as much as possible. both the bills and the jets are unpredictable.

i was thinking of going with the ravens, but i want to save them for later in the season. if you pick one team, you can't pick them again. so that is probably why i want to get philly out of the way now while mcnabb is hot. but they lost jevan kearse so now i'm iffy on that.

anymore suggestions, fellas? if i win my money, i'll take ya'll out to a warriors game. for real, for serious.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 pm
drfrank wrote:wow, the jets? you're really going on out a limb. that game is going to be a crapshoot so i want to stay away from it as much as possible. both the bills and the jets are unpredictable.

i was thinking of going with the ravens, but i want to save them for later in the season. if you pick one team, you can't pick them again. so that is probably why i want to get philly out of the way now while mcnabb is hot. but they lost jevan kearse so now i'm iffy on that.

anymore suggestions, fellas? if i win my money, i'll take ya'll out to a warriors game. for real, for serious.

I only put it on them because of how pennington has played but I think I seemed to risk it a bit, I'm just too sold on Chad's playing. Try the Patriots. Plummer has been stinking up the place lately and Tom has been playing like an average QB, but the fact is that the Broncos just haven't seem to get it clicking. Carolina is one since they are down 0-2 and looking to recover. Remember, they were once considered the favorite to rep the NFC in the Superbowl. Detroit seems nice also due to the fact they played solid against the Seahawks, the Bears game was different though but they seem nice also. Miami will also look to win their first game against a Titan team still having issues at QB.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:39 pm
i agree with you on all those teams, but most of them are 0-2 and you don't know if they'll show up. carolina is a good pick because steve smith should be coming back. the patroits have been very, very average so far. brady is killing my fantasy leagues. doug gabriel better get some TD's. damn, all raiders and ex raiders are useless......
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:58 am
drfrank wrote:i was thinking of going with the ravens, but i want to save them for later in the season. if you pick one team, you can't pick them again. so that is probably why i want to get philly out of the way now while mcnabb is hot. but they lost jevan kearse so now i'm iffy on that.

Yeah, the Ravens could be better later in the season. And I wouldn't care much about the Eagles losing Kearse. They are the deepest team in the D-Line out there. They still have Trent Cole (who is playing like a madman, except that stupid penalty against the Giants) and Darren Howard... or they could move Patterson or Bunkley to the end... they have a lot of options there. It would be different if Trotter were the one who's out.

The other two teams that looked like good bets are the Chargers, who are looking like the best team in football (although the haven't played against top teams yet, and they have a bye this week) and the Bears. The Bears are playing really great, and if Grossman keeps playing like sunday (or close. Just being mistake free would be enough), they are my pick to win the NFC. Seattle could be another good option, too. They also play in a week division...

Just don't pick the Bucs... :banghead:

Jacksonville won impressively against the Steelers, not allowing a single point... but I'm not sold on them yet. They are a playoff team for sure, but losing Hayward for the season is going to haunt them on the long term.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:43 pm
Ok, lets do this with some time this week (if anyone is interested)...

As always, winners in bold.

WEEK 3

Chicago at Minnesota
NY (Jets) at Buffalo
Cincy at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
Carolina at Tampa (I can't vote against my team, no matter how bad we've been playing)
Washington at Houston
Tennesee at Miami
Baltimore at Cleveland
Philly at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
NY (Giants) at Seattle
Denver at New England
Atlanta at New Orleans
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:29 pm
i might just end up picking the dolphins over the titans...

also, dont sleep on the saints upsetting the falcons. they return to the superdome so they'll be playing with extra motivation.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 pm
TMC wrote:Ok, lets do this with some time this week (if anyone is interested)...

WEEK 3

Chicago at Minnesota
NY (Jets) at Buffalo
Cincy at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Carolina at Tampa (I can't vote against my team, no matter how bad we've been playing)
Washington at Houston
Tennesee at Miami
Baltimore at Cleveland
Philly at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
NY (Giants) at Seattle
Denver at New England
Atlanta at New Orleans

I'll agree on all except on the Panthers/Bucs since well, I just don't see Carolina sinking that low when they were considered Superbowl contenders. Can't start 0-3 with the solid talent that have on both sides of the ball, and Smith will be most likely returning so Keyshawn won't have too much pressure on him now. And I'ma have to go with the Giants in the Seahawks matchup. I really think Eli can step it up a notch this week even if Hasselbeck has Branch, Burleson, Jackson, Engram, and Alexander. They put one hellauva fight last year, it just came down to how many times could the kickers miss. Feely messed up for the Giants last year, I really see them rebounding for revenge.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:53 pm
you failed to mention seattle's defense. they'll be more important than their O this sunday....

alexander = another victim of the madden jinx.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:49 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
TMC wrote:Ok, lets do this with some time this week (if anyone is interested)...

WEEK 3

Chicago at Minnesota
NY (Jets) at Buffalo
Cincy at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Washington at Houston
Tennesee at Miami
Baltimore at Cleveland
Philly at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
NY (Giants) at Seattle
Denver at New England
Atlanta at New Orleans

I'll agree on all except on the Panthers/Bucs since well, I just don't see Carolina sinking that low when they were considered Superbowl contenders. Can't start 0-3 with the solid talent that have on both sides of the ball, and Smith will be most likely returning so Keyshawn won't have too much pressure on him now. And I'ma have to go with the Giants in the Seahawks matchup. I really think Eli can step it up a notch this week even if Hasselbeck has Branch, Burleson, Jackson, Engram, and Alexander. They put one hellauva fight last year, it just came down to how many times could the kickers miss. Feely messed up for the Giants last year, I really see them rebounding for revenge.

Yeah, I was being a Bucs fan at the time. Id' try to not be as biased in other games, but I hate the f*cking Panthers (and Packers)... If not, I'd probably agree with you.

About the Seahawks... drfrank is right. Their defense is playing much better than the offense right now. Their O-Line ain't as solid withouth Hutchinson, and Alexander is havin a lot more trouble running. Branch still doesn't know the system, Burleson isn't doing anything at all... But their defense is impressive so far. Tatupu is a heck of a lb, one of the best in the league and is only in his second season, while the secondary is solid, as well as the D-Line. I expect a low scoring game, with Seattle winning it.

About New Orleans... I think they're better than people gives them credit for... but their defense is atrocious and Atlanta is being impressive running the ball and on defense. Playing back in the Dome is going to be a big boost, so I woulnd't be surprised if they finally win the game.

Nobody surprised about Cincy winning in Pittsburgh? That would mean the second straight defeat for the current champs, and this one would be at home...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:17 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

WEEK 3

Chicago at Minnesota
NY (Jets) at Buffalo
Cincy at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Washington at Houston
Tennesee at Miami
Baltimore at Cleveland
Philly at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
NY (Giants) at Seattle
Denver at New England
Atlanta at New Orleans

Yeah, I was being a Bucs fan at the time. Id' try to not be as biased in other games, but I hate the f*cking Panthers (and Packers)... If not, I'd probably agree with you.

About the Seahawks... drfrank is right. Their defense is playing much better than the offense right now. Their O-Line ain't as solid withouth Hutchinson, and Alexander is havin a lot more trouble running. Branch still doesn't know the system, Burleson isn't doing anything at all... But their defense is impressive so far. Tatupu is a heck of a lb, one of the best in the league and is only in his second season, while the secondary is solid, as well as the D-Line. I expect a low scoring game, with Seattle winning it.

About New Orleans... I think they're better than people gives them credit for... but their defense is atrocious and Atlanta is being impressive running the ball and on defense. Playing back in the Dome is going to be a big boost, so I woulnd't be surprised if they finally win the game.

Nobody surprised about Cincy winning in Pittsburgh? That would mean the second straight defeat for the current champs, and this one would be at home...

What suprised me about what most "experts" are saying that the Saints 2-0 start is just a "mirage." I'd think this is one hellauva start even if they did play the Browns and Packers. They're rebounding and starting out fresh. I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for the Falcons regardless who's on their D.

I'm not at all suprised with your Bengals pick. They're defense has been clicking pretty well as of lately without Odell Thurman. Palmer has been playing very well and I'd think he'd want to torch the defense that took out his knee during the wild card game last year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:37 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:What suprised me about what most "experts" are saying that the Saints 2-0 start is just a "mirage." I'd think this is one hellauva start even if they did play the Browns and Packers. They're rebounding and starting out fresh. I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for the Falcons regardless who's on their D.

I'm not at all suprised with your Bengals pick. They're defense has been clicking pretty well as of lately without Odell Thurman. Palmer has been playing very well and I'd think he'd want to torch the defense that took out his knee during the wild card game last year.

Yeah, I also think the Saints are underrated. Their offense is really good, and they are doing what they are supposed to do. Two lesser teams, two wins. But still, the only players worthy of a spot in an NFL defense are Charles Grant, Will Smith, Mike McKenzie, Roman Harper and Bullocks (and Harper is just a rookie and Bullocks a second year player)... the rest of the defense are practice squad or special teams players (at best). They may win against the Falcons, but only due to the big boost they'll have for playing back in the Superdome. That defense can't stop anybody.

I'm really high on the Bengals this year. The defense is making a ton of big plays (although they give up a lot of yards, too) and the offense, as long as Palmer is healthy, is scary. They're one of my possible picks for the Superbowl (as the team that would my pick for the AFC, San Diego, will be a victim of Schottenheimer's ineptitude on the playoffs :wink: )
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:55 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:What suprised me about what most "experts" are saying that the Saints 2-0 start is just a "mirage." I'd think this is one hellauva start even if they did play the Browns and Packers. They're rebounding and starting out fresh. I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for the Falcons regardless who's on their D.

Yeah, I also think the Saints are underrated. Their offense is really good, and they are doing what they are supposed to do. Two lesser teams, two wins. But still, the only players worthy of a spot in an NFL defense are Charles Grant, Will Smith, Mike McKenzie, Roman Harper and Bullocks (and Harper is just a rookie and Bullocks a second year player)... the rest of the defense are practice squad or special teams players (at best). They may win against the Falcons, but only due to the big boost they'll have for playing back in the Superdome. That defense can't stop anybody.

I'm really high on the Bengals this year. The defense is making a ton of big plays (although they give up a lot of yards, too) and the offense, as long as Palmer is healthy, is scary. They're one of my possible picks for the Superbowl (as the team that would my pick for the AFC, San Diego, will be a victim of Schottenheimer's ineptitude on the playoffs :wink: )

I'm also high on the Colts for the Superbowl. I felt last years distractions hurt them and "one of the most accurate kickers" in the NFL missed the GW field goal. Sure they lost the Edge, which is huge, along with David Thornton, not so huge, but I think they have enough weapons. Rhodes and Addai look pretty good together along with the damn good wideouts and the big guy in the middle with one of the best QB's in the NFL, I like them also. The D is fine also. But too many teams on the AFC, so it's hard to say. The Chargers are also scary because of that one guy on their defense and on my current avatar. Boy, is he a beast.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:16 pm
NY Jets @ Buffalo:
Green Bay @ Detroit:
Jacksonville @ Indianapolis:
Tennessee @ Miami:
Chicago @ Minnesota:
Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh:
Carolina @ Tampa Bay:
Washington @ Houston:
Baltimore @ Cleveland:
St. Louis @ Arizona:
NY Giants @ Seattle:
Denver @ New England:
Atlanta @ New Orleans:
Philadelphia @ San Francisco

And my boldest prediction of the week! The Raiders WON'T LOSE
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:59 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:And my boldest prediction of the week! The Raiders WON'T LOSE

::lol:

San Francisco over Philly and Jacksoville over Indy in Indianapolis?... The rest of the picks make sense, but those two are surprising...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:05 am
Dude i know Indiannapolis is a hostile location. But Jacksonville won MNF against Superbowl champs Pittsburgh. And the Colts don't have Edgarin James running game no more.

Sure Peyton has the ability to weave needles through the Jacksonville Secondary... But i think Bryan Leftwich should work some magic on the road.

Hmm... 49'ers! that's just my representing the YAY Area in votes.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board