College Tips?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA~Santa Barbara, CA
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:50 pm
Anyone got some useful advice you can give a incoming college student in a week. Like how to do well in class, studying, or keeping a balanced lifestyle. Thanks anything is appreciated.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13528
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:23 pm
If you're going away to college, here's an important one:

DON'T PARTY TO THE POINT WHERE IT EFFECTS SCHOOL.

My first semester in Chico was ugly. I would drink on school nights, not get enough sleep, think that 'a little coffee in the morning would get me awake'... things like that. You learn very quickly that early classes are Satan in disguise. That's another one: don't take a 7:00 class because (who are you kidding?) you're never gonna go to it. Seriously.

Another one is not to have the parties at your house. Going out to parties is cool (like I said, as long as it doesn't screw with your studies), but why the hell would you wanna be the one that throws the party? It cost you money. Your shiit might get stolen. There WILL be puke somewhere in the house. And you'll find that the kids that party without you don't often stick around with the big ass garbage bags to help clean up. But this rule, for the most part, isn't for incoming freshman... cause you'll probably dorm your first semester, right?

Anyway, hopes this helps. Good luck, wherever you're going.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA~Santa Barbara, CA
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 pm
yep im dorming.

UCSB is for sure known as a pretty legit party school. so thats the only thing im trying to not get too indulged in.

well i got an 8:00 class, which isn't the best timing. But i'm sure it wont be that bad if i can grab breakfast and coffee.
Last edited by kfresh on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13528
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:26 pm
My cousin's down in USB. He's having a blast.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:44 pm
#32 wrote:If you're going away to college, here's an important one:

DON'T PARTY TO THE POINT WHERE IT EFFECTS SCHOOL.

My first semester in Chico was ugly. I would drink on school nights, not get enough sleep, think that 'a little coffee in the morning would get me awake'... things like that. You learn very quickly that early classes are Satan in disguise. That's another one: don't take a 7:00 class because (who are you kidding?) you're never gonna go to it. Seriously.

Another one is not to have the parties at your house. Going out to parties is cool (like I said, as long as it doesn't screw with your studies), but why the hell would you wanna be the one that throws the party? It cost you money. Your shiit might get stolen. There WILL be puke somewhere in the house. And you'll find that the kids that party without you don't often stick around with the big ass garbage bags to help clean up. But this rule, for the most part, isn't for incoming freshman... cause you'll probably dorm your first semester, right?

Anyway, hopes this helps. Good luck, wherever you're going.




:D

Second that!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:00 pm
Try to hang with the right crowd as well! Here in Perth, in my School at least, the other students were grown up and noone was a trouble maker but in the sates, so I've heard, there exists the odd group of priks to avoid. Just great to avoid trouble, all the time, not just at school.

Have a great time, without fukin yourself mentally too much and educationally. It only happens once though and you then go to work, have a family and it never is the same again. Still a good life but differently, not in a partying, noone else dependant on you, carefree way!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:44 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:18 pm
can't give you any tips really. i'm on my last year in high school so i'll be preparing to apply. depending on how my football year goes, that'll decide on what college i'll want to go to. washington for basketball, ucla, usc, or cal for football. we've had scouts come down to our games as of lately so thats why i included those big time colleges.

anyone got any tips for this last year in high school?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:42 pm
^ last year of high school was awesome. just make sure your GPA doesn't take a dip. besides that, enjoy your time in high school - most of your high school friends won't be going to the same college as you. and all that **** about 'keeping in touch' is pure bullshit.

as far as college goes. go out and meet as many people as you can. i mean, go out of your way and do it. do things that you normally don't do. anything short of making out with dudes and other gay stuff. but the more you open up, the more friends you'll make, and the more connections you'll have. in college, you live or die (not really) by your 'connects' so it's really important. also, be on the look out for the breezies. you gotta make your move quick because other dudes will surely swoop up 'your woman,' especially in santa barbara... if and when you get your girl, don't get attached. that goes without say. you gotta be single, play the field. innocently hook up and move the **** on. (wrap it up and don't eat. seriously, you'll thank me later).

if you run into rory davis, be sure to chew the fat with him. he's a cool cat. knows his san francisco giants and his a big fan. matt allen is a prick. if you see him, punch him in the face and say it was from drfrank. if you manage to knock him down and he's on the floor, give him a People's Elbow, call him a jabroni, and also tell him its from drfrank.

as far as studies go - your first term (quarter, whatever) shouldnt be a problem. put it the time. i prefer going to the library and putting in the time there, because its easier to focus on your work. if you get study partners, that also helps. and, it builds up your.... you guessed it - connections.

that's all i got for ya. if you wanna know anything else, just holler.

P.S. #32 is right though, dont host the parties. leave that for desperate losers who want attention.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:17 pm
rsxracer wrote:can't give you any tips really. i'm on my last year in high school so i'll be preparing to apply. depending on how my football year goes, that'll decide on what college i'll want to go to. washington for basketball, ucla, usc, or cal for football. we've had scouts come down to our games as of lately so thats why i included those big time colleges.

anyone got any tips for this last year in high school?




don't let your grades suffer but you have to hangout and party with the people you know right now because it is tru that you don't see each other much after high school - Sad but true!

My last year of high school, we hangout every Friday and Saturday and most Thursdays as well but calmed things down in exam time (1 week before and a few more days if needed).

Gotta keep things in perspective (grades) but you must live that time and have fun because it doesn't come back!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA~Santa Barbara, CA
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:57 pm
drfrank wrote:

as far as college goes. go out and meet as many people as you can. i mean, go out of your way and do it. do things that you normally don't do. anything short of making out with dudes and other gay stuff. but the more you open up, the more friends you'll make, and the more connections you'll have. in college, you live or die (not really) by your 'connects' so it's really important. also, be on the look out for the breezies. you gotta make your move quick because other dudes will surely swoop up 'your woman,' especially in santa barbara... if and when you get your girl, don't get attached. that goes without say. you gotta be single, play the field. innocently hook up and move the **** on. (wrap it up and don't eat. seriously, you'll thank me later).

if you run into rory davis, be sure to chew the fat with him. he's a cool cat. knows his san francisco giants and his a big fan. matt allen is a prick. if you see him, punch him in the face and say it was from drfrank. if you manage to knock him down and he's on the floor, give him a People's Elbow, call him a jabroni, and also tell him its from drfrank.

as far as studies go - your first term (quarter, whatever) shouldnt be a problem. put it the time. i prefer going to the library and putting in the time there, because its easier to focus on your work. if you get study partners, that also helps. and, it builds up your.... you guessed it - connections.

that's all i got for ya. if you wanna know anything else, just holler.

P.S. #32 is right though, dont host the parties. leave that for desperate losers who want attention.


very informative :wink: and much appreciated! yeah definitely, i always hear about making connections in college, whatever i do make more and more connections. Love the women advice, gotta wrap it up and dont eat! Surely will keep that in mind when im out partyin in SB.

In terms of grades, how difficult do ya believe it is to attain a good, solid GPA? [3.0 or above] And what can i do to most effectively achieve solid grades at the college level?

Any studying tips in college that might prove to be life-saving?

thanks again drfrank and everyone else for the help. :thumbright:
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:00 pm
there is a correlation between grades and time spent in class paying attention and studying. but that's nothing you didnt know already. i would suggest you attend class on a daily basis. i know that sounds corny, but trust me, there will be a day when you're hung over or you want to bail and kick it on the beach instead of going to class and listening to a herb talk about psychology. but whatever the professor goes over in class, will most likely appear on the midterm/final. your professor will hand out a syllabus with dates and readings that you should do prior to coming to class. i know its really hard to keep up with all those reading, but try you best. you'll recognize terms like "lysosome" and "smooth ER" which makes it easier to study later on.

repetion is good. writing things out over and over again is how i study and remember data. i dont really have a quick remedy for ya, bro. you gotta put in time if you want to succeed. but it also depends on the classes your taking. what's your course load looking like? a 3.0 GPA should not be hard to get. at all.

just to drop some more names...

Michelle LeQuire, Natalie Davis, Aron Alexander... refer to facebook if you wish.

MAN, I SHOULD OF ATTENDED UCSB!!!!
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA~Santa Barbara, CA
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:01 pm
i got Asian American Studies 1, Chem 1A, and Calculus for Social Sciences.

Yeah with just 3 classes, hopefully i am able to ease myself into the new college lifestyle. and not get overworked right off the bat

i got the morning 8oclock ones too, which means im bout to be a coffee addict very soon. hahaha

where'd ya go for college frank?
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24 pm
yeah, i think thats a manageable workload. 8 am classes should not be a problem. make sure you're in bed by midnight or 1 and you should be straight.

i'm still in school right now. i'm currently at holy names university which is in oakland. hopefully i can transfer to samuel merritt college because of their partnership. at merritt, i plan on getting a bachelor's in science. i've never attended a big school, but i've probably spent 4-6 weeks with friends at uc santa cruz, ucla, u of oregon, san diego state and some midwest schools, so i know the ropes.

oh yea, if you want to be a true santa barbara gaucho, its never to early to start thinking of a halloween costume. they do it BIG down there. oh, and do us a favor, when you go out and party on the 31st of october, bring a camera and post pictures. real candid ****, if you know what i mean.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:36 pm
drfrank wrote:i plan on getting a bachelor's in science.



What in? What major
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: UCLA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:50 am
This is good info. I'll be off to UCLA in a couple of days too.

Oh snapz kfresh you're from Santa Clara too. What HS did you go to?
”I have a genuine interest in both [the Pacers and the Warriors]. My only focus is getting back to the playoffs and eventually competing for a championship.” - Al Harrington
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron