Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:12 pm
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Image

Nelson: "Baron, you too fat"

Baron: "You look like a hippo in this pic Don, lead by example you fat fuk

Don't miss the next episode, in which Baron gets traded... :mrgreen:

After knocking Nelson across the Oakland Arena floor after Nelson told Baron he was getting fatter and then started eating a lollypop himself :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, these scenarios could quite possibly happen. When Mitch Richmond (the heart and soul of the TMC teams) told Nelson to back off on the cruel harping on Mullin, Hill, and Rooney, he got traded. Carlos Rogers punched and knocked out Hardaway in practice for playing the role of Nelson's henchman and got traded.

Without a Mark Cuban, who is going to check Nelson's ego?

That's it, Nelson likes to rule with an iron rod and that just pisses the players off! He has to be more liberal and definately not so harsh or he should expect the same in return and the fat man doesn't seem like he can take his own shiit

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:14 pm
CjR wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
CjR wrote:
uptempo wrote: ...Our best hope will be an improvement in team speed. The sad thing about this is how Dunleavy probably will never improve beyond what he is now, a marginal-slightly-below-average small forward.

We’ll see this year if Dunleavy can fulfill his promise. Personally, I want both him and Pietrus to succeed under Nelson's tutelage in whatever role or spot(s) they play.

migya wrote: With the recent articles of Nelson (some I've read in large part to the posting of OG rumma broe), I'm starting to have doubts about the success the team will have with him and his use of the players. Him stating that he will use alot of dun and Murphy at the 4 and 5 spots makes it look like he isn't ging to use Biedrins and Taft very often at all.

Got a feeling the old cunnt is in it for the money only!

Well, money is something Nelly is definitely not short on. He came mainly because he’s really wanted here and was sought after by Mullin. Nelly already likes the makeup of players based on what he wants to accomplish. I'm guessing here but him mentioning that he’ll play a lot of Dun and Murph at the 4 and 5 respectively, I take as “in some games.”

Bottom line, along with individual improvements and better preparation, this will be a team effort and I think he’ll be very creative in tapping new horizons for players (in different games) who never thought they can be utilized in ways that will present the best chance for each to succeed and for the team to win. Biedrins and Taft play hard on both ends of the court and run like gazelles, so I think/hope they'll be the mainstay. Actually, it’ll be very exciting to see how he’ll mold this team’s identity and how his plan of attack unfolds in certain games or point in the game.
:D :D :D So refreshing to see someone who is on point....

Thanks, Broe, :D and keep those articles coming!

migya wrote: Just doesn't sound good what I'm reading in these articles!

I know what you mean, but to me, by saying this, Nelson appears to be instilling the psychological groundwork to develop new aspects of Murphy and MDJ's game. He’s stretching them, and nothing spurs learning (and hard work) like knowing one has to actually play that position. (The actual game-time use or frequency is immaterial, at this point.)

Murph playing the 5 means: He’d better learn now how to bang on the inside, post up/inside moves, rebound w/putbacks, challenge shots/get nastier on D, etc.

Dunleavy playing the 4 means: Better learn now inside or post moves by using quickness & handles, dish inside, rebound inside, challenge/fast rotate on weak-side help, etc.

I think he’s basically telling them to learn those skills, stretch and improve their game, and be ready whenever they’re called upon in specific games or situations (whether in creating mismatches, change of pace/look, Beidrins, Taft, or Ike in foul trouble, injury induced, or what have you.)

To me this is a good thing, and I really think this is situational. No one has personally challenged Murph and Dun to do these things, and it can only help their game and the team.

Yea but that may mean that he plays those two at the 4 and 5 for most of the time and that could lead to more losing if both don't adapt well and underdevelopment of guys like Biedrins, Taft and O'bryant

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:45 pm
migya wrote:...Yea but that may mean that he plays those two at the 4 and 5 for most of the time and that could lead to more losing if both don't adapt well and underdevelopment of guys like Biedrins, Taft and O'bryant

That has always been the knock on Nelson. He does not develop his big men.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:19 pm
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:...Yea but that may mean that he plays those two at the 4 and 5 for most of the time and that could lead to more losing if both don't adapt well and underdevelopment of guys like Biedrins, Taft and O'bryant

I believe he leaves that up to his assistants. He wasn't the one credited for what Nowitzki became of I think. It was...?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:31 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

I believe he leaves that up to his assistants. He wasn't the one credited for what Nowitzki became of I think. It was...?

Nelson seems to have a firm grasp of the team and how it operates on the court

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:34 pm
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Which is why we shouldn't be so worried on how Biedrins, POB, Taft, and Ike will develop. Nelson has known what he's doing since he started. I'm pretty sure he can handle the Warriors.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Which is why we shouldn't be so worried on how Biedrins, POB, Taft, and Ike will develop. Nelson has known what he's doing since he started. I'm pretty sure he can handle the Warriors.

Oh really? Just remember how his last tenure with the Warriors had ended.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 am

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING !!!

THIS MUST BE THE YEAR !!!

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:39 pm
Bob, you are weird.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:51 pm
Elemental wrote:Bob, you are weird.

But, funny, nonetheless.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:33 pm
uptempo wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Nelson ends his tenures with NBA teams with bitterness EVERYTIME he leaves somewhere. It's just his rep. But what can you say other than the Chris Webber fiasco...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:35 pm
#32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Nelson ends his tenures with NBA teams with bitterness EVERYTIME he leaves somewhere. It's just his rep. But what can you say other than the Chris Webber fiasco...?

Well no matter how bitter his relationship goes with the Warriors, this is his last stop for sure.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:40 pm
No question. And, like all his other teams, he'll end his career on a winning note.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:07 pm
#32 wrote:No question. And, like all his other teams, he'll end his career on a winning note.

Agreed. It would be good for the team to bring in a "tough" formerly coached by Nelson veteran to provide both leadership as well as stability. Spreewell may be the guy that the team would bring in to fill this role. During one practice during Nelson's last Warrior playoff year, Spree went upside Byron Houston's head during a practice. Byron is much larger, stronger, and physically imposing than Spree; however, Spree wasn't going to take any of Byron's dirty play in practice and went off on the guy.

This team could use a "tough guy/intimidator."
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:46 pm
Elemental wrote:Bob, you are weird.

WHAT? :D

Was weird about that?

It does CHANGE EVERYTHING

Hiring Don Nelson as the coach of The Warriors
CHANGES EVERYTHING

Unofficial Poll ... True or False? Hiring Don Nelson Changes EVERYTHING?

The head is the direction, the brain, the goal, the method ... the head
is ALL of that STUFF

Don Nelson Is A Clown For World Peace ... And Takes His Job Very Seriously

This guy "has had a way" of getting "the most out of "stuff" ...
Therefore "probably will have."

How much more "realistic," today, in the minds of some, the notion that The Golden State Warriors could "actually" win some kind of Championship? How much more "realistic" would it be if The Golden State Warriors added ONE MORE GOOD THING?

Weird?

Which definition?

"of strange or extraordinary character : ODD, FANTASTIC"

One more good thing ...

Word From Our Sponsors
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball