ELIE REPORTEDLY WON'T BE BACK ON BENCH AS WARRIORS ASSISTANT

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:34 pm
Exactly, that might have been the reason they brought in young Silas.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:16 am
I think it's too early to label anyone as a being groomed... That won't happen for, at least, another season. They're just assistants.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:55 pm
Plus, this whole deal about "Nelly's health" shouldn't even be an issue yet. He's cancer-free. Unless the big guy's blood pressure starts acting up or something, then don't worry about it. This is a non-issue for now.

And TMC's right. Mario Elie is pure potential at this point. He may be a bust.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21969
» Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:17 pm
#32 wrote:And TMC's right. Mario Elie is pure potential at this point. He may be a bust.



Fact is that Ellie was a winner as a player and a respected assistant coach by the players. He has the sort of attitude that could succeed as a coach.

Plus, someone has to be head coach in three years when Nelson leaves
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:30 pm
migya wrote:Plus, someone has to be head coach in three years when Nelson leaves

Trust me, there's never a shortage of promising, "potentially great" people when it comes to the NBA. We just hired Paul Silas' kid. Tell me he doesn't have the right pedigree to succeed as a coach in the NBA.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:06 am
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Plus, someone has to be head coach in three years when Nelson leaves

Trust me, there's never a shortage of promising, "potentially great" people when it comes to the NBA. We just hired Paul Silas' kid. Tell me he doesn't have the right pedigree to succeed as a coach in the NBA.


Yeah, and we can go for any unemployed head coach or any assistant in any team (same as we did with Musselman). There won't be a shortage of coaches.

I just hope we never go again for a college coach.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21969
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:24 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Plus, someone has to be head coach in three years when Nelson leaves

Trust me, there's never a shortage of promising, "potentially great" people when it comes to the NBA. We just hired Paul Silas' kid. Tell me he doesn't have the right pedigree to succeed as a coach in the NBA.


Yeah, and we can go for any unemployed head coach or any assistant in any team (same as we did with Musselman). There won't be a shortage of coaches.

I just hope we never go again for a college coach.




It's just better to groom your own future coach because you know what he is. You're not as sure with someone else
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:28 am
migya wrote:It's just better to groom your own future coach because you know what he is. You're not as sure with someone else


That's what interviews are for... :wink:

It may not be perfect, but it gets a good idea of what the candidate thinks of the team, the kind of bball he wants to play. It's good source of information on the coach, not so much on players.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:55 pm
If teams had to groom their own coaches, there wouldn't be 2-5 head coaches getting the axe every offseason. They'd be highly valued, rather than deemed as expendable.

Larry Brown, one of the game's best head coahces, was amputated from the New York Knicks after one season (that, clearly, NOBODY could have helped).
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21969
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:34 pm
#32 wrote:If teams had to groom their own coaches, there wouldn't be 2-5 head coaches getting the axe every offseason. They'd be highly valued, rather than deemed as expendable.

Larry Brown, one of the game's best head coahces, was amputated from the New York Knicks after one season (that, clearly, NOBODY could have helped).



If you have an assistant coach that looks to have the right tools to be a great head coach, it is great to have him learn from an already great coach. ie Ellie watching Nelson


Doesn't matter now
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:13 pm
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:If teams had to groom their own coaches, there wouldn't be 2-5 head coaches getting the axe every offseason. They'd be highly valued, rather than deemed as expendable.

Larry Brown, one of the game's best head coahces, was amputated from the New York Knicks after one season (that, clearly, NOBODY could have helped).



If you have an assistant coach that looks to have the right tools to be a great head coach, it is great to have him learn from an already great coach. ie Ellie watching Nelson


Doesn't matter now

Well, the same could apply for Young Silas watching Nelson.

Silas has just as good (if not better) tools to be a good coach as Elie.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests