Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:50 am
Article Last Updated: 09/15/2006 02:37:39 AM PDT

Elie and Warriors to part company Elie, Warriors to part company
Nelson not expected to bring back assistant to the bench
By Marcus Thompson II, MEDIANEWS

Warriors assistant coach Mario Elie will not be back on the bench for the upcoming season, according to a team source.
Elie, when reached by phone Thursday, declined to elaborate on his situation. The team, however, indicated that the coaching staff has not been finalized.

Elie has one year remaining on his three-year contract. If he were to get an offer from another team, he would need permission from the Warriors to release him from his contract. If another coaching opportunity does not come along, Elie's role with the team could change until his contract expires.

The Warriors announced Thursday they hired another assistant coach. New head coach Don Nelson's second assistant coach hire is Stephen Silas, son of former player and longtime coach Paul Silas.

It is not uncommon for new coaches to bring in their own assistants. The Warriors now have five assistants on staff: Elie, Silas, recently hired Larry Riley, Keith Smart and Russell Turner.

All five are currently under contract.

Since Chris Mullin took over as executive vice president of basketball operations, the Warriors haven't had more than four assistant coaches. The league allows only three on the bench. The rest must sit behind the bench.

Elie's possible departure wouldn't be much of a surprise. He has made clear his desire to be a head coach and was a candidate for the Sacramento Kings vacancy that went to former Warriors coach Eric Musselman. Many in the NBA arena expected Elie to succeed former Warriors head coach Mike Montgomery, who was bought out to make room for Nelson. But Nelson got a three-year deal from the Warriors, which seemed to end Elie's chances of becoming the Warriors head coach in the near future.
Last edited by O.G. Broe on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 am
I was expecting this. He's contract expires this season, and he won't be given a chance for the next one. He'll look for a better option elsewhere.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:46 am
This will likely be a regret in three years or so!

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:50 am
ARRRRGH!!! crap.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm
In truth, I'd WAY rather have Nelson than Elie.

As much as we liked to think about "what Mario Elie might do with the team", he hasn't accomplished anything thus far. He has good potential, so another team will give him a shot. But Golden State isn't at a place where they can experiment with anymore coaches. We needed a solid, proven one... and Mullin got the right guy.

Sucks to hear about Elie... but, given the choices, I'm glad it worked out this way.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 pm
I Agree, The ideal situation would have been Mario being groomed by Nellie but with Ellie's contract almost up and his desire to be a head coach now, it's probally best to part way's instead of prolonging the inevitable.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:37 pm
migya wrote:This will likely be a regret in three years or so!

It depends what Nellie does with the team in the next 3 years.

I'm not trying to slam Ellie, but what is it about him that makes everyone think that he would be such a great coach?

I know was a former Warrior and he's liked by the players, and has been an assistant for a while, but does that equal success? What has he done to prove himself to be a legitimate Head Coach?

Enlighten me...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:16 pm
That's what I'm saying. Elie was purely potential. Nothing solid about him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm
O.G. broe wrote:I Agree, The ideal situation would have been Mario being groomed by Nellie but with Ellie's contract almost up and his desire to be a head coach now, it's probally best to part way's instead of prolonging the inevitable.

I'd have rather gone with Ellie and let him and this young team grow together for a longlasting success than get Nelson who may or may not make this team much of a winner and it will only be short term anyway

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:13 am
migya wrote:I'd have rather gone with Ellie and let him and this young team grow together for a longlasting success than get Nelson who may or may not make this team much of a winner and it will only be short term anyway

I don't. I wanted Elie to coach, because he was the only option to Monty during the season, but he's unproven. He may become a Nate McMillan... or a Randy Ayers. I'm more confident going with Nellie as the coach.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:23 am
HERE HERE :!:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:54 pm
Yeah, the question is what's gonna happen after Nellie...

Nellie has health problems. He might not even make it through this year. Who's gonna coach after him? Silas' son?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:02 pm
John Patrick wrote:Yeah, the question is what's gonna happen after Nellie...

Nellie has health problems. He might not even make it through this year. Who's gonna coach after him? Silas' son?

Hit the nail on the head!

Nelson is only suppose to be here for three years so someone else better be groomed to take over

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:22 pm
I'd be seriously surprised if he made it through three years...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:21 pm
John Patrick wrote:I'd be seriously surprised if he made it through three years...

Even more reason why Ellie leaving is bad or someone groomed to take over is rather urgent

Next

Return to News Articles