NBA.com Photo of the Year...

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:22 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:I just hate all aspects of sports that involve children.

All-star voting, "MVP"s of certain magazines, and now this...

Kids ruin voting because none of them know what they are talking about.

"Yay!!!! Kobe!!!!" :hello1:

:evil: No, bitch. Kobe's picture looks like crap.

I agree. I think that you should have to be a voting age american citizen to vote for the allstar team. No offense to yao but if he were spanish and pao gasol were chinese year would have made one or two allstar teams, Gasol would have made the starting lineup every year of his career. Or maybe instead of american citizens, you can only vote at the game. I can't stand to see T-mac starting over KG one more time.

I completely agree with that system.

It's BS that Grant Hill made the starting lineup his FIRST YEAR HEALTHY and nobody bats an eye. Ernie Johnson and Kenny Smith just pretend that he "belongs" in there with the rest of the guys. Granted, he had a decent season... but not the best SF in the conference. Not by far. That sort of shiit needs to stop.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:58 pm
I'm ok with people voting the starters, but only from people that actually goes to the games. Internet vote is ruining the whole purpose of the system.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:16 pm
What about Disease's age limit idea? I agree with that.

If not, maybe there should be some sort of "general knowledge of the game" quiz prior to voting. Nothing too tough; just 5 questions or so of multiple-choice, general, current-season facts.

1) Who is currently in first place in the Central Conference?
2) Who currently leads the league in steals per game?
3) Name Chicago's starting center.
4) Name Golden State's head coach.
5) Who is currently in last place in the Pacific Division?

Any normal fan of the game (with a mind decent enough to vote for all-stars that year) should be able to answer those questions. If you get one wrong, tough shiit. I think it would take a huge chunk out of the number of fanboys that vote.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 pm
OK idea, that's NEVER going to happen though. For that many voters, forget about it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 am
#32 wrote:What about Disease's age limit idea? I agree with that.

I don't like it. It would create "classes" of fans. If the fans get to vote, they all get to vote, not a chosen few.

#32 wrote:If not, maybe there should be some sort of "general knowledge of the game" quiz prior to voting. Nothing too tough; just 5 questions or so of multiple-choice, general, current-season facts.

Any normal fan of the game (with a mind decent enough to vote for all-stars that year) should be able to answer those questions. If you get one wrong, tough shiit. I think it would take a huge chunk out of the number of fanboys that vote.

Most people in my country would fail all those questions, so I guess that would solve the internet vote. :wink:

Still, I think the best idea is voting on game days, on the arena. You're paying to watch a game, so, even if you're just a casual fan, you get to participate in the voting.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:03 am
TMC wrote:Still, I think the best idea is voting on game days, on the arena. You're paying to watch a game, so, even if you're just a casual fan, you get to participate in the voting.

But a player that plays great in the first month of the season but plays crap the rest of the way may get alot of votes early and more than a player that plays better overall from the beginning of the season until the allstar game. It is a viable idea but has that flaw

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:05 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:Still, I think the best idea is voting on game days, on the arena. You're paying to watch a game, so, even if you're just a casual fan, you get to participate in the voting.

But a player that plays great in the first month of the season but plays crap the rest of the way may get alot of votes early and more than a player that plays better overall from the beginning of the season until the allstar game. It is a viable idea but has that flaw

Yeah, I'm saying under the assumption that it won't be fair. But if someone has to pick the starters, better the people that goes to the games the whole Chinese nation. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:49 am
#32 wrote:What about Disease's age limit idea? I agree with that.

If not, maybe there should be some sort of "general knowledge of the game" quiz prior to voting. Nothing too tough; just 5 questions or so of multiple-choice, general, current-season facts.

I don't think they'd ever institute a knowledge quiz. It would be cool, but it would never happen and would alienate the vast majority of fans who are saying "If miami win fo' in a row, the first two game don't count and it's a sweep. it's official" and they wouldn't be able to hammer in 65 votes apiece for shaq and wade.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 pm
I understand the idea is probably never going to happen. David Stern won't change the current system of voting (even if it is flawed) because it involves SO MANY people (and David Stern is a whore)... but I think the best method would not be the most profitable.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:02 pm
Do you think they're gonna want to grade quizzes for EVERY PERSON who takes it? Not realistic.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:16 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Yeah, I'm saying under the assumption that it won't be fair. But if someone has to pick the starters, better the people that goes to the games the whole Chinese nation. :wink:

I'm with you on that one

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:18 pm
#32 wrote:I understand the idea is probably never going to happen. David Stern won't change the current system of voting (even if it is flawed) because it involves SO MANY people (and David Stern is a whore)... but I think the best method would not be the most profitable.

Stern won't change the current system because it gets more people in the world liking the nba and thus the nba makes more money! A brilliant work of genius from a business perspective and we all know what kind of a fukin world we live in!

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:49 pm
Agreed, but it doesn't really matter, most all-star caliber players make the team, usually fair even from a bias for superstars.

But hey, in order to be a superstar you have to be really good.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:37 am
What the F*ck Buffalo Bill....is this bloody tinfoilhat.com or something?? Some of the crap be espoused in this thread is frigging woeful. Anyone heard this little gem? "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" It doesn't matter what system you have in place or what party is in power....Human beings are not altruistic by nature. We do things for a reason. If everyone wants to live in happy fluffy bunny land then be my guest, but I'm a pragmatist. This world may not be perfect, but no world in the past ever was and no future world will be perfect either. That said you make the most of your life in this world, why get so worked up over **** you have absolutely no control over. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:58 am
breezer_79 wrote:What the F*ck Buffalo Bill....is this bloody tinfoilhat.com or something?? Some of the crap be espoused in this thread is frigging woeful. Anyone heard this little gem? "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" It doesn't matter what system you have in place or what party is in power....Human beings are not altruistic by nature. We do things for a reason. If everyone wants to live in happy fluffy bunny land then be my guest, but I'm a pragmatist. This world may not be perfect, but no world in the past ever was and no future world will be perfect either. That said you make the most of your life in this world, why get so worked up over **** you have absolutely no control over. :banghead:

That's more or less what I've been saying all along...
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board