Diddy giddy about the hiring of Don Nelson.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:49 am
Golden State Warriors
Posted on Fri, Sep. 15, 2006
Davis is looking forward to having fun again

By Marcus Thompson II
Warriors point guard Baron Davis, coming off one of the most frustrating seasons of his career, says he has a renewed vigor, a re-shifted focus.

``My focus and where I'm headed is where I need to be at this point,'' Davis, 27, said Thursday in a phone interview from his home in Las Vegas. ``I don't think I have to prove anything to nobody accept myself. Last year I was out to prove to everybody I was back. This season, I don't care about that. I've just got a more selfish approach with the things I need to do.''

The reclamation process has started with his body. Davis has taken a hard-line approach to improving his health.

Davis, who missed 28 games because of injury last season, rested the entire summer to heal his sprained right ankle, which at one point he was told might require surgery. He embarked on a strict diet, which includes lots of sushi and no eating out late at night.

Davis said he wants to couple physical development with peace of mind. Portrayed as the center of the Warriors' turmoil, he said he allowed last season's ills to get to him.

There were reports about him not getting along with then-coach Mike Montgomery, about his teammates being upset because Davis had the longest rope.

``I think my personality last year was not who I am,'' Davis said. ``I was more serious, worried, worried about what people were thinking. It taught me a lot. Having a coach like Montgomery who was learning the ropes, we went through a lot of tough times. We went through a lot both on and off the court. All that taught me not to worry about that stuff.''

The two-time All-Star said last season was ``probably the most inconsistent I had ever played.'' He averaged 17.9 points and 8.9 assists. But he was the only Warriors regular to shoot under 40 percent (38.9) and his volume of shots -- his 15.9 attempts per game were second to guard Jason Richardson -- seemed to disrupt the Warriors' offense.

Davis said the answer is having fun again, which is why he's giddy about the hiring of Don Nelson.

``Look at Steve Nash,'' Davis said. ``Look at what he did with Tim Hardaway. He gave those guys the opportunity to be who they needed to be out on the floor. I want to play for Coach so bad because I know that once we get on the court, it's going to be wide open. What better situation can a point guard ask for? When I hit the court, I'm going to be the hardest-working dude on the court.''
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:09 am
O.G. broe wrote:Davis, who missed 28 games because of injury last season, rested the entire summer to heal his sprained right ankle, which at one point he was told might require surgery. He embarked on a strict diet, which includes lots of sushi and no eating out late at night.

I know of some Japanese Grocery stores that sell that in norcal. Mitsuwa, nijiya, etc. I say, don't get the fusion sushi since that'll add poundage and don't use mayo.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 am
Looks like he's going to get thinner. The league better watch out next season.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:07 pm
He's been doing no workouts?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:34 pm
John Patrick wrote:He's been doing no workouts?

He doesn't need to; he's already built like a tank. Nelson wants him to shed some weight, not maintain it. I'm sure keeping off the ankle is the best thing.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:29 pm
Hoonyo wrote:Looks like he's going to get thinner. The league better watch out next season.

Then Baron is losing a major asset he has in his muscle and strength! He was already quite fast and just needed to do more sprint drills. He could always barge his way to the basket and post up very well and that wil all diminish a bit if he loses some muscle because he won't be much faster

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:05 pm
The difference shouldn't be too much but he will be injured a lot less! He will still be able to charge to the basket.

My thought is that Baron shoots all those threes because he is playing careful from his injury prone-ness. He is too afraid to charge to the basket because he is afraid to get hurt. Take all the injury time away and we have a superstar player.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:16 am
his ankle?

whats wrong with it now.. damnit baron. get your ass in shape like your hornets days.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:10 pm
kfresh wrote:his ankle?

whats wrong with it now.. damnit baron. get your ass in shape like your hornets days.

You'll find is is more his motivation than anything else!

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles