Warrior Ratings for the 06'-07' Season

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position has improved the most since last year?

Center (Possible Murphy swap, more Biedrins minutes, less Foyle, the addition of O'Bryant)
8%
Power Forward (We like Ike... plus a full-season for Taft)
54%
Small Forward (Nelly's gonna fix Dunleavy!)
No votes
Shooting guard (Out with the Fish, in with Monta!)
31%
Point guard (Those 3 Jazz players will make the team better)
8%

Total votes : 13

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:26 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:His health hasn't been a major issue. Ankle sprains are all he's had correct? Correct me if i'm wrong though. I might've forgotten the knees or something, not sure. But if it's only one part of the body, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Though, they should worry about it still because he will be one of the most significant pieces to this seasons run.

I'm not saying he's had nagging issues; I'm saying the opposite... he's had NO issues. That's sort of a concern for me (especially when he's coming off knee surgery over the summer). Players can only go 110% so long before something breaks.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:30 pm
#32 wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:His health hasn't been a major issue. Ankle sprains are all he's had correct? Correct me if i'm wrong though. I might've forgotten the knees or something, not sure. But if it's only one part of the body, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Though, they should worry about it still because he will be one of the most significant pieces to this seasons run.

I'm not saying he's had nagging issues; I'm saying the opposite... he's had NO issues. That's sort of a concern for me (especially when he's coming off knee surgery over the summer). Players can only go 110% so long before something breaks.

That's true. A player of his caliber is likely to experience one of the worst injuries that would keep him out for a certain period of time which would be a major issue. We all saw what the Warriors could and couldn't do without Jrich in the lineup. They lost, they lost a huge part of their offense.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:30 pm
As far as the players go, can't say whether they have improved until they play but due to the coach, it should be expected that most will be better.

My analysis:

Center: Considering Murphy could play alot there, much improved. Rason, Murphy is better than Foyle and has more basketball skills right now than Biedrins. Not counting Murphy, expected slight improvement because Biedrins should get better, O'bryant is decent but not special yet, Foyle will get less court time and Taft, if healthy, might play some Center and he is capable of being a good player also.

6.0 out of 10 (with Murphy counted), 4.5 out of 10 (without Murphy)

Forwards: If JRich plays a fair bit of Small Forward, then that makes the frontline much better. If he doesn't, then it is up in the air. Dunleavy is the probable starting SF or PF, (depending if JRich starts at SF), and he has been nothing but awful and is coming off a season where he actually got worse! Yepee :x . Maybe Dunleavy will be better under Nelson but I just don't see it because it is the shooters and slashers that do great with nelson and dunnyboy is neither right now. A fairly nonathlete, Dunleavy has got to at least shoot better and try to rebound a little more, 5.5 would be real good........ for him. Mickael Pietrus is a disappointing prik that is on his last chance, at least to me and has to do somehting positive. He is a monster athlete who should have picked up more skills by now! He can shoot alright (on and off) and defends well but he has been a better defender than he has been recently. If Pietrus is used well in the run and gun style (which is really possible), picks his spots with outside shooting and gets back to enjoying stopping players from scoring, he could well be the third most effective player on the team! Ike Diogu is perhaps the player I have the most high hopes for in the next few years (if Nelson decides to use him which may not happen because half court stuff is not his most liked offense). Diogu has great inside post skills, jump shot and incredibly long arms that can make him a very good rebounder and shotblocker like he was in college. He is also built strongly which will only mean that he will be effective both offensively and defensively. Diogu could be the third best player this season! Cabarkapa will likely be a garbage time player but he does have quite good mobility and skills for a 7fter so he might get more time than expected. Taft, if healthy, could really get some minutes because he has the physical skills to be a very good player in the run and gun, both offensively and defensively. Devin Brown may get Pietrus' court time if Pietrus turns out to be a bust this season but Brown will likely get next to no time as well.

8.5 out of 10 (with JRich), 7.5 (without JRich)

Guards: The best position for the team! JRich has always gotten better every offseason and maybe he will get even better again. JRich is one of the most talented and young SGs in the nba and he may have superstar capablities, at least allstar type already. He should be the leading scorer but it'd be good if he could improve his defense, if even just a bit. The X factor of the team, to me at least, is Baron. Baron Davis has to play more games a season! end of story! having him around for two thirds is not enough and not worth what the prik is getting paid! He is a great player and potentially the best PG in the nba. Most glaring aspects of his game are his shot selection and shooting percentages, so he has to not throw up the ball so often and when he does, be more careful. Monta Ellis looks great and could be such a steal! If he starts at SG or gets over 20mins a game at least, he should be one of the best players on the team. He just has to grow and improve and he would have done his part so far. Noone else worth mentioning.

9.5 out of 10 - One of the best backcourt rotations in the nba if not the best!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:32 pm
#32 wrote:Players can only go 110% so long before something breaks.

Let's ride him as long as that health goes and I'll take 100% of JRich :mrgreen:

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:36 am
I like Devin Brown a lot...
He is going to provide much needed consistant offense for us.
Go Warriors!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:48 am
gowarriorz wrote:I like Devin Brown a lot...

Yeah, I think Devin Brown and Andre Owens can add things to the team. I like them both. I'd rather have Devin Brown playing than Zarko (and I forgot about him while talking about the minutes of every player in other thread). In fact, if Pietrus doesn't improve from last year, I'd play Brown instead of him. He's more of a sure thing, while Pietrus is more about potential.

On the other side, we should cut Keith McLeod.

About the J-Rich health issue... I don't think we should worry until something happens. Look at Iverson for a player that should have been injured more than he has been, and it never happened. If anything, we should worry about Baron's health, not J-Rich's.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 pm
#32 wrote:Well, minutes are all part of "which position has improved the most."

You can't tell me that Ike Diogu averaging 25 minutes at the PF spot wouldn't be an improvement, regardless of whether or not he was on the roster last year.

agreed
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:57 pm
Yeah, but when you think about it that way, every position improved since we brought in Nelson replacing Monty and each player will hopefully play to their max.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:52 pm
TMC wrote:

Yeah, I think Devin Brown and Andre Owens can add things to the team. I like them both. I'd rather have Devin Brown playing than Zarko (and I forgot about him while talking about the minutes of every player in other thread). In fact, if Pietrus doesn't improve from last year, I'd play Brown instead of him. He's more of a sure thing, while Pietrus is more about potential.

The only reason I wouldn't play Brown ahead of Pietrus is because Pietrus playing to his fullest is far better than Brown at his fullest. In fact, when Pietrus is off his game (percentages aside), he puts up the same numbers as Devin Brown. Plus, Brown is limited to one position due to his height (SG), whereas Pietrus can slide from SG to SF.

That being said, I really like Devin Brown. He comes to play, he's a much needed hustle player, and he's flashed big game a handful of times (on February 13th he dropped 25 on the Lakers, and 23 before that on the Nuggets January 20th). The problem is, he doesn't appear to do much besides score. Sure, he's had his occasional game with 6, 7, or 8 rebounds... but he failed to reach double-digits in the board category even ONCE last year (and he played a good amount of games near and over 30 minutes). And (for a guy as short as he is), he's not really a playmaker (averaging barely 1.3 in 24 minutes a night in Denver for '03).

He's a spark... a change-up player (which is why I suspect Nelson will insert him into the lineup when things aren't flowing), but I don't know if he's 1st-backup-material. 15 minutes a night sounds generous enough to me.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:10 pm
Anyone who adds energy, hustle and defense is always an asset! Pietrus has to get back to those ways and if he doesn't, Brown should get every chance to play

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:13 pm
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:

The only reason I wouldn't play Brown ahead of Pietrus is because Pietrus playing to his fullest is far better than Brown at his fullest. In fact, when Pietrus is off his game (percentages aside), he puts up the same numbers as Devin Brown. Plus, Brown is limited to one position due to his height (SG), whereas Pietrus can slide from SG to SF.

That being said, I really like Devin Brown. He comes to play, he's a much needed hustle player, and he's flashed big game a handful of times (on February 13th he dropped 25 on the Lakers, and 23 before that on the Nuggets January 20th). The problem is, he doesn't appear to do much besides score. Sure, he's had his occasional game with 6, 7, or 8 rebounds... but he failed to reach double-digits in the board category even ONCE last year (and he played a good amount of games near and over 30 minutes). And (for a guy as short as he is), he's not really a playmaker (averaging barely 1.3 in 24 minutes a night in Denver for '03).

He's a spark... a change-up player (which is why I suspect Nelson will insert him into the lineup when things aren't flowing), but I don't know if he's 1st-backup-material. 15 minutes a night sounds generous enough to me.

Brown can run on the break. He has had his troubles finishing but the kid can take it to the whole and go to the line when he has the ball. He isn't afraid to shoot over or against big men. He can spark a bench no doubt in my mind and if he wants to get more than 15 minutes, he'll have to beat the men on the bench for it.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 pm
I just think Richardson will get the lion's share of minutes at SG... and when he's not in, Ellis will be. Those two could easily split 48 minutes at the same position. It doesn't leave a lot of time for Brown (who can ONLY play SG, like I said) to play.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:55 am
#32 wrote:I just think Richardson will get the lion's share of minutes at SG... and when he's not in, Ellis will be. Those two could easily split 48 minutes at the same position. It doesn't leave a lot of time for Brown (who can ONLY play SG, like I said) to play.

I think we'll use more Ellis to spell Baron at pg... he'll play a bit sg, too. Pending on how we use the sf position, there could be minutes.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:56 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:I just think Richardson will get the lion's share of minutes at SG... and when he's not in, Ellis will be. Those two could easily split 48 minutes at the same position. It doesn't leave a lot of time for Brown (who can ONLY play SG, like I said) to play.

I think we'll use more Ellis to spell Baron at pg... he'll play a bit sg, too. Pending on how we use the sf position, there could be minutes.

That lineup with Ellis at SG and JRich at SF could really be the best one!

If that brown creme brule' Pietrus doesn't become what he should be

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:12 am
migya wrote:If that brown creme brule' Pietrus doesn't become what he should be

Love is fading fast... by the end of the year you may be cheating with Dun. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball