Death of the Croc Hunter

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:53 pm
migya, my Australian pal, I hate to see this kinda stuff in the news. I couldn't tell you who the Aussie Prime Minister was... but everybody in many countries knew Steve Irwin.

I do find it chillingly ironic, though. The guy tackles croc's, runs with lions, goes face to face with rattlesnakes and cobras... and, yet, Steve Irwin died swimming with stingrays.

His death marks the 7th recorded human fatality in history (and, what's believed to be the first case caught on tape).

Is it perverted of me to want to see that video...? Purely out of curiosity.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:17 pm
If you wanna see someone die, then sure.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm
It's not even that.

The whole concept of a stingray's barb flying out and impaling somebody just sounds too out there to be true. I'm not saying it's a lie or anything; it's just so surreal.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:35 pm
It didn't fly out, I think he fell on it and it pierced where his heart was. Bad luck, but he's the croc hunter, all that dangerous shiit and he's bound to get killed somehow. Too bad for his fam though.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:18 pm
This is very sad... RIP to the man!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:22 pm
John Patrick wrote:It didn't fly out, I think he fell on it and it pierced where his heart was.

I'm not sure if you can "fall" when you're snorkling.

I heard a stingray was buried beneath the sand... and when he swam near it, he inadvertenly boxed it in (making it feel threatened) and the thing whipped it's barb right into his chest.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:11 pm
John Patrick wrote:It didn't fly out, I think he fell on it and it pierced where his heart was. Bad luck, but he's the croc hunter, all that dangerous shiit and he's bound to get killed somehow. Too bad for his fam though.

You said it right, big chances of getting hurt or killed in that type of work.

I'm going to be honest - Irwin looked like a nerd and was somewhat crazy doing what he did but the fact is, the man was a very giving, loving man and he will be missed by many. As always, it's the immediate family that hurts the most and hie had very young children :(

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:35 pm
Of course the widow will be hurt the most in this event... but how terrible is this for his 8-year old daughter?

His 3-year old son is probably too young to feel the full effects of it, but that 8-year old girl is what worries me. I hope God's with them all during this time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 pm
That the three year old will never really know his father and that is really awful. Awful for anyone close to him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:45 pm
Damn, what a way to go. I can only wonder how his family is taking it. Like 32 said, the daughter could feel the effects of it while the son will only ponder why his father is being buried. That's just really heartbreaking.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:30 am
#32 wrote:Of course the widow will be hurt the most in this event... but how terrible is this for his 8-year old daughter?

His 3-year old son is probably too young to feel the full effects of it, but that 8-year old girl is what worries me. I hope God's with them all during this time.

Nobody should be doing those kind of things with a family to take care of. You have a responsibility towards them. If you keep risking yourself... well, it's just dumb.

RIP to the guy... but it's his own fault.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am
Nobody should be doing those kind of things with a family to take care of. You have a responsibility towards them. If you keep risking yourself... well, it's just dumb.

RIP to the guy... but it's his own fault.

No offence, but I think thats a silly thing to say. Many people with families have jobs that entail a certain amount of risk. Service men and women, Police Officers etc etc etc. Does that make them stupid?? I get what you're saying, that the family should be the priority, but this was the man's life, his passion and his job. His wife was a part of that life and they both knew the risks involved. Was it his fault? I guess it was, as he put himself in that position. That doesn't make the incident anything more than 'freakish'. You're more likely to die driving to work than buying it the way that Steve Irwin did. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

RIP Steve Irwin.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 am
breezer_79 wrote:Many people with families have jobs that entail a certain amount of risk. Service men and women, Police Officers etc etc etc.

Don't worry, no offense taken. Let me elaborate on my point:

Those jobs you mention don't involve hunting crocodiles... Also, somebody needs to do them, as we cannot live without a police force. But I'm damn sure we can do pretty well without crocodile hunters.

About the freakish incidents... things like that can happen to anybody at any given time, sure. But if you put yourself in a position of risk, such as that one (something he obviously did because that was his passion), it's more likely to happen.

Just my opinion, tho.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:18 am
Yeah it was his thing and he loved to do it
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Ok .. Two Things ... Or More

Certainly one test of a "man" is the things people say about him ... I prefer the good things. This fellow certainly has a lot of seemingly nice people saying a lot of nice things about him.

That he turns out to be "unusual" .... some would say "eccentric" etc. should not be considered "unusual" .... Study of "super achievement" might suggest that super achievers are ALWAYS a "byte" unusual.

Personally, I shall pray for this fellow, his friends and family ... AND ...
I'll be sticking to Poker, Graphics, Video and Shooting Free Throws :D

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum