Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00 pm
Peter has no jab but will hit you with the kitchen sink, Toney is deceptive but he get's hit too and if Peter's lands one it's Lights out Toney :sleepy2: Peter's KO'S Toney in 4....
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 pm
Toney is a great defensive fighter, and he’ll be a difficult target for Peter to locate or land cleanly against. But if Peter lands one, JT, as you may already know, has a solid, solid chin, so he’s not an easy KO even with Peter who's a huge puncher. Look at WK, who has a suspect chin, and Peter couldn’t take him out. He was the one who got KO’d instead (granted WK is a much taller fighter). Plus Peter telegraphs his punches, and JT should be in a position to defend/dodge and set him up with counter shots. Also, at Peter’s size, stopping shots that don’t land will definitely wear on him, so he has to be economical and accurate.

Like I said, if JT comes in shape, he’ll have the edge in defense, speed, counter punching, combinations (head and body), cageyness, footwork, stamina, etc. But if he comes in over 230, it may be a short night for him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:57 am
Hey, Broe, I just watched the fight, and Toney was definitely robbed with that split decision. JT did come in heavy at 233 (just 4 lbs lighter than his last fight) and as expected, his movement was sluggish and output was limited. But nonetheless, he still outboxed and outpunched Peter, no doubt. But two judges having it as 116 to 111 for Peter was just outrageous. All the press row guys had Toney winning, including Al Bernstein. It was a close fight, but Toney landed more and with cleaner shots and he should have won that by, at least, two points. But it was still a very good fight—and Toney’s chin is just freakin’ amazing, especially coming in from the Middleweight division.

Sam Peter got a gift here, and he should easily go on to destroy Oleg Maskaev for one of the belts.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:51 am
Yeah I agree, Peter had 1 point deducted for bopping toney in both ears with his gloves (Comedy) and I thought Toney had taken the lead and won by 1 round :!: It was a close fight and very entertaining, Peter defenetely doesn't want a rematch :boxing:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:08 pm
Toney fought? Ah, I missed it then. I was looking forward to the next Toney fight because it stalls time for the next Pacquiao fight.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:07 pm
O.G. broe wrote:Yeah I agree, Peter had 1 point deducted for bopping toney in both ears with his gloves (Comedy) and I thought Toney had taken the lead and won by 1 round :!: It was a close fight and very entertaining, Peter defenetely doesn't want a rematch :boxing:

I can easily see the 1 round differential, and I like your objectivity. I actually like Sam Peter, but I got to root for USA, and Toney is just a riot of a character! :mrgreen:
It was a very entertaining fight, indeed. Toney got hit with many rabbit punches (behind the head), but never really complained. Those are really dangerous for they could seriously do brain damage. But back to the fight, I’m still hoping that Toney gets back in shape and wins a heavyweight title for the US.
Last edited by CjR on Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:09 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Toney fought? Ah, I missed it then. I was looking forward to the next Toney fight because it stalls time for the next Pacquiao fight.

I know what you mean. I need to see a great fight as a fix like a coke addict. :mrgreen:
To me, there’s absolutely nothing in sports like a highly anticipated and great fight—especially for the heavyweight title.

The one great fight I missed was the Kostya Tszyu v. Ricky Hatton.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:52 pm
CjR wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Toney fought? Ah, I missed it then. I was looking forward to the next Toney fight because it stalls time for the next Pacquiao fight.

I know what you mean. I need to see a great fight as a fix like a coke addict. :mrgreen:
To me, there’s absolutely nothing in sports like a highly anticipated and great fight—especially for the heavyweight title.

The one great fight I missed was the Kostya Tszyu v. Ricky Hatton.

Yeah, the ESPN boxing fights bore me, The Contender seems like a reality show, and UFC is a combonation of different sports but I still do like it. So when I hear about a highly anticipated match then i'm in, especially when it's for the best title of em all.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:31 pm
UFC makes the rest look like garbage! The fighters can strike as well as fight on the ground. Boxers don't do well when going against multiskilled fighters

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:08 pm
Mig, this is not Boxers going up against UFC fighters. Boxing and UFC are two totally different sports, much like they’re different from kickboxing, wrestling, etc. UFC is more popular with younger crowds, and that’s perfectly fine. I used to follow UFC when it first began and was into BJJ in having seen Royce Gracie perform.

But boxing, as a sport, has a tremendously rich tradition and nearly unmatched history, being among the oldest sport known to man. It’s part of the Olympics, and it was already part of the very first Olympic games played in ancient Greece. So from that standpoint, there is absolutely no comparison. Obviously UFC or MMA is complete fighting, but boxing has never claimed that—it’s pugilistic art form by itself.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:02 pm
I wasn't knocking boxing's history CJR, just saying that UFC is better because it's more complete and the guys that fight there have to be real tough priks

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 pm
migya wrote:I wasn't knocking boxing's history CJR, just saying that UFC is better because it's more complete and the guys that fight there have to be real tough priks

REAL tough. Those guys will go for rounds on the ground trying to make or break holds. UFC is one of the best combo sport shows made.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:42 pm
migya wrote:I wasn't knocking boxing's history CJR, just saying that UFC is better because it's more complete and the guys that fight there have to be real tough priks

No argument there. Tough and crazy.

But actually, they need to turn it up a notch where the only way out is horizontal—on a gurney.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:27 pm
Well, we got an American heavyweight champion back: Shannon Briggs for the Heavyweight WBO belt (I’ll take it)! It was a boring fight until Briggs knocked-out Liakhovich in the 12th round—and in the final seconds at that! Briggs, being huge, muscular, and the more skilled fighter, should have put this guy to sleep early, but he was simply not busy enough, plus I think he was pacing himself because of his asthma. Anyhow, he was one of the guys I thought would get one of the belts back, if given the chance.

Also, Floyd Mayweather just dominated Carlos Baldomir to win the WBC Welterweight belt. Baldomir was game, but Floyd was just too slick and just too fast for him (despite fighting with an injured right from around the 6th or 7th round on). It was a boring fight also unless one truly appreciates a display of technical boxing mastery over an opponent. During the post fight interview, Larry Merchant got on Floyd Mayweather (as usual) again, hinting his displeasure of his style of boxing, and Floyd countered by just lighting Merchant up on the spot. He exposed Merchant and just attacked him and his knowledge of the sport and as an analyst. It was hilarious and the best part of the fight. Lampley and Emanuel Steward just looked at each other and didn’t even touch it. Good for Floyd. I understand Merchant’s fight style preference, but as an analyst/commentator, he really has to put his biasness of blood and guts fighting aside and sometimes appreciate a boxer's superb boxing skills, such as that of Mayweather's.

Next up, Mayweather and Oscar De la Hoya for a mega fight. I like Oscar, but I gotta roll with Flyod on this one.

This Saturday, Wladimir Klitschko (46-3, 41 KOs) versus Calvin Brock (29-0, 22 KOs) on HBO. I’ll pull for Brock, although I think he really doesn’t stand a chance on paper against WK.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 pm
Calvin Brock is going to knock Wladimir's ass out. Wladimir has a glassjaw.
New. Stuff.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board