the nba hop step

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:59 pm
instead of taking the classic "2 steps" that has been legal throughout the years in the NBA, Playground, College, etc. the NBA has now seen the addition of what many call the "hop step" where the player takes a hop right after he terminates his dribble.
Often it is use to split the defenders to get an open shot while driving to the basket and isnt called a travel in the nba. Its something thats been on my mind for the last couple of years and its been faced with mix reactions from different people who play and know the game.

The hop step, do you guys feel that its a travel, or it is legitimate.

And should there be a universal rule regarding traveling?
Since its hard to playthe game by the rules in college basketball then adjust to the NBA with these unwritten exceptions.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:39 pm
I think there should definately be universal rules because it is quite stupid having different rules in college and then the nba. It makes it harder for an individual to adjust to the nba coming from college over just a rule change

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:24 am
migya wrote:I think there should definately be universal rules because it is quite stupid having different rules in college and then the nba. It makes it harder for an individual to adjust to the nba coming from college over just a rule change

And also the other way around... in the World Championship, a lot of NBA players commited the fiba traveling, just because they are used to the NBA rule... although they went uncalled most of the time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:00 pm
It's a "jump-stop".

That was always legal in the leagues I played in. When you're on the move and you stop your dribble, you're allowed a jump stop instead of two steps. Seeing as you move the same amount of feet, I don't see how it's unfair, really.

You're just taking your two allowed steps at the same time, instead of one after the other.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:28 pm
#32 wrote:It's a "jump-stop".

That was always legal in the leagues I played in. When you're on the move and you stop your dribble, you're allowed a jump stop instead of two steps. Seeing as you move the same amount of feet, I don't see how it's unfair, really.

You're just taking your two allowed steps at the same time, instead of one after the other.

I'm not saying that it's the wrong one, just that there should be only one set of rules. Having different rules creates confusion.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:07 pm
Technically, the jumpstop is legal on any level of basektball.

The key is that you have to use your last motion before terminating your dribble to actually jump and have both your feet land at the same time on the floor. The advantage of this move is that you still are allowed a pivot foot after you land thus giving you seemingly two full steps after you terminate your dribble.

There are a couple problems with how it is used in the NBA. For starters, it is aesthetically questionable. This is because NBA players are so damn big and athletic that if they use the move correctly off the dribble they can get from the three point line to the hoop without dribbling. Think about how much ground is covered when a 7 foot SF uses a full jump and then a large pivot step -- it is so much ground it looks like travelling. However,almost all NBA players have astoundingly great footwork which allows them to do things that look illegal.

Another problem is that NBA refs don't police the call well. They let players routinely get away with using a jumpstop but landing on one foot then the other and then letting the player use whatever pivot foot they please. A danger with the jumpstop is that if you don't land your feet at the same time then your natural motion is to travel as your leading foot is designated your pivot and trailing foot, the foot you are most incline to use, may not leave the floor. Baron Davis gets away with this infraction a lot.

FIBA refs call this part of the game closer to the book and when NBA players try to get away with footwork that is technically sloppy they get whistled for it.

Even city league refs (ahem) blow this call a bunch. You might have excercised great footwork but they see how much ground you covered and blow their whistle without thinking about it. But I have issues with them anyway.

Return to Off-Topic Forum