Overrated and Underrated NBA Teams

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 pm
Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated NBA teams out there?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:44 pm
I think right now the Pistons are underrated, they'll still be serious contenders, even though they lost Wallace he was an offense black hole which was hurting them, also the "guaran-sheed" hurt them, there was something wrong during the playoffs.

Overrated: They're not necessarily overrated, but the Cavs need to make some moves quick or they're going down the tubes since Z is getting older, and besides Gooden and Hughes they need just solid threats to spread the defense around LeBron.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 pm
I just don't like the Lakers! They are a crap team with two very good players and absolute garbage! They won't make the playoffs this season. The Clippers look pretty good right now but it could all fall to bits there as well and I'm not sure they will make the playoffs either. The Nuggets are much better than what they showed and should do better this season.

The Warriors are bound to be very underrated but they might really win alot this season

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:05 pm
I'll say the Lakers also. Only Odom and Bryant control that team. They getting way too much hype just because Kobe carried them last year. But c'mon people, Odom was there to help him out too, and no one gave him enough credit.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:28 pm
Overrated: Phoenix Suns. I know this is not a popular pick, but it's true. Their small ball, run & gun style is entertaining... but despite having the league's MVP (along with some of the best chemistry in the NBA) the Suns have come up short two seasons in a row... and, yet, are always SOMEBODY'S pick to win it. Regular season records mean nothing to contenders; the championship means everything. And it's been a LONG time since Phoenix has had one. I'm not saying they aren't damn good, but they are definately overrated.

Underrated... can I pick the Warriors...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm
WOW - I don't think the Suns are overrated. They have a smaller team than most but have superior skills and have won alot. They could do better. I reckon they're about right in the standings.

Another team that is overrated, I think, is the Wizards. That team has a horrific frontcourt and relies so heavily on Arenas to create and Arenas, Jamison and Butler to score their points. They could easily not make the playoffs

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:38 pm
But what have the Suns accomplished? They've had the league MVP for two years running, the best player in Fantasy Basketball last year (aka the player with the best all-around stat's in the league), some of the top regular season records any team could have, and chemisty that rivals the 80's Celtics! Not to mention a contending Coach of the Year candidate (hell, didn't he win it last year?), plenty of upward movement on the trade/free agent market, and are in more ESPN articles/segments than any other freaking team in the NBA!!!

That sounds like a championship-caliber team to most people... and, yet, the Suns have been clipped in the 2nd-round for two years running now.

Most people claim they're Championship Contenders. They have yet to prove it. That makes them overrated.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:08 am
I have a feeling the Bucks may be under rated this upcoming season.
Last season they showed signs of being a decent team, but came up short more often then not against tough opposition. With the trades they've made this offseason however I think they may really have a chance to atleast make it through to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Bogut will now be free to play with his back to the basket and use his great passing abilities to better benifit his team as well as being able to bring down alot more rebounds and just be a tougher all round inside guy. CV I think is the perfect fit with Bogut in the frontcourt, but we'll see how this pans out. As for the back court...getting rid of TJ was the best thing they did. although he was an exciting player to watch he was injury prone and I have a feeling he will be through his entire career. This gives Mo Williams a chance to really shine and I think he'll do just that. As for Michael Redd and Bobby Simmons, I'm sure they'll just do what they do. Either way I think the Bucks have the opportunity to be a dark horse this year.

Cheers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:13 am
I think a regular season of 82 games is long enough to not have under- or overrated teams. Everyone is as good as their record, barring any injuries.

But I'll play along:

Overrated - Utah & Houston. These teams have some good players, but not enough to get them to the next level. Let's go team by team:

Utah.- Looks decent because they have one of the best coaches of the game. If Monty where the coach they would be dead last on the west... Kirilenko is good, but I don't think the rest of the players are worthy of a playoff team.

Houston.- Yao is soft, McGrady is unable to win in the playoffs, Van Gundy plays a kind of bball that doesn't fit the roster... and still some so-called analysts believe they have a chance to win it all. Amazing.

Underrated.- I agree with Milwaukee. I don't think there will be a big drop off from TJ Ford to Maurice Williams, and they have some pretty good players inside. They're balanced, something few teams can say right now.

Also, another underrated team:

Seattle.- I think Seattle's real level is the one they showed two seasons ago, when they won the division. And the Spurs had a rough time winning the series against them. But bad coaches can destroy a team, and Seattle is still looking to recover from losing McMillan.

Just my two cents.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:19 pm
overrated? I'd say the Heat. I can hear the howls of outrage already. I know they won it all, but that was a result of Dallas folding when they were 6 minutes from a 3-0 chokehold as well as DWADE's maginficence, aided and abetted bysome highly dubious calls and Dirk's noshowski.

Dallas - they barely squeaked past the Spurs and against Phoenix they were fortunate that Raja got hurt, which left the Suns with a 5 and a half man rotation...not to mention the biggest choke job in the finals since Linda Lovelace was in her prime or Phily against Rick Barry's Warriors

underrated? The Clips, who I think would have given Dallas more of a tussle than did the Suns...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm
:shock:

Unbelievable... both finalists overrated... talk about shocking picks.

I don't really agree about the Clips being underrated, as everybody knows they are a good team, but still need more experience on the post-season. That's not being over- or underrated, just the natural way of things.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm
TMC wrote::shock:

Unbelievable... both finalists overrated... talk about shocking picks.

I don't really agree about the Clips being underrated, as everybody knows they are a good team, but still need more experience on the post-season. That's not being over- or underrated, just the natural way of things.

yeah, well, can't b too surprised that a cat on a basketball forum who posts Trane, Camus and Nash on his signature will have unconventional wisdom :wink:

I am willing to lay down $$ neither team makes the finals this year
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:04 pm
coltraning wrote:I am willing to lay down $$ neither team makes the finals this year

I won't go that far. I'm closer to my money than my ideas. :wink:

In other words, I'm also pretty sure they won't repeat.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:16 pm
#32 wrote:But what have the Suns accomplished?
what would have been at least one championship if they weren't so unlucky injurywise
They've had the league MVP for two years running
I'm a nash fan but he is the worst MVP wince wes unseld
, the best player in Fantasy Basketball last year (aka the player with the best all-around stat's in the league)
speaking of overrated, shawn marion is a good place to start...
, some of the top regular season records any team could have, and chemisty that rivals the 80's Celtics! Not to mention a contending Coach of the Year candidate (hell, didn't he win it last year?), plenty of upward movement on the trade/free agent market, and are in more ESPN articles/segments than any other freaking team in the NBA!!!

That sounds like a championship-caliber team to most people... and, yet, the Suns have been clipped in the 2nd-round for two years running now.

2nd round? how do you figure....

Most people claim they're Championship Contenders. They have yet to prove it. That makes them overrated.
I disagree. In 05 they were inferior to the spurs. The spurs probably would have beaten them in seven if they weren't missing a 20 ppg scorer who forced them to start jim jackson 40 minutes per game. In 06 they did what nobody thought they could do without amare, and they still went to six games in the conference finals despite having their three best defensive players injured, one of which was a top five player in the league. Imagine if Dallas had dirk injured for the whole season, would they win 40 games? The suns were perhaps the only team in the history of the game that could win 58 games when missing a player the quality of amare.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:28 pm
Overrated:
Miami - they're as lucky to win the championship as the talentless carlos mencia is to have his own comedy central show. And now they're keeping the exact same team
Chicago - Big Ben Wallace is not going to make them contenders, He's declining and fast
Detroit - Big ben was the heart and soul of that team, they're not going to be close to what they were before
Cleveland - Lebron is going to be spectacular, but it might not be enough even in an east that took a huge step back this offseason.
Phoenix - They are overrated purely becuase of the fact that people are discounting amare's impending injury.
Houston - Yao and Tmac's injuries aren't ones that just go away
Underrated:
San Antonio - If I were making the odds, I'd say san antonio has the best chance of winning it all next year, even though they're not improving
Sacto - some people are talking about them not making the playoffs, I think they'll have an outside shot at a top four seed
Clips - Shaun livingston looks like he's finally becoming a quality player.
Orlando - I think that they'll make the second round next year; darko, dwight, jameer, are all underrated
Charlotte - they won't make the playoffs, but I think they could win in the mid thirties with all the talent they've been stockpiling.

OVERRATED: THE EAST
I think this offseason the east has taken a huge step back, and nobody in the east will contend for the championship

I can't say the warriors are underrated right now, I think that they are overrated because they just made a move, but by the time the season starts they will be underrated.
ImageImage
Next

Return to Sports Board