Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 am
Taft has the physical tools to be one of the best players under Nelson! He can run, is strong and can finish on offense and block on defense

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 am
migya wrote:Taft has the physical tools to be one of the best players under Nelson! He can run, is strong and can finish on offense and block on defense

But can he stay healthy?... that's the main concern about Taft right now.

Hoonyo wrote:I don't think you upgrade to bust. You downgrade.

I said upgrade as in upgrade to stud or bust, because, at least, we know what kind of player he is, a definite bust...

But downgrade also works. And it defines him better.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 am
Hoonyo wrote:I don't think you upgrade to bust. You downgrade. Ike's got three point range. I hope Nellie doesn't turn him into Raef LaFrentz. He may just use Ike predominantly with pick-and-rolls or pick-and-pops with his range ala Nash/Nowitzki. Has Nellie's offense ever taken advantage of low-post scoring?

With an aging Bob Lanier, Nelson did run some of Milwaukee's offense thru the low block. However, Nelson got his sorry ass fired from the Knicks job midway thru a season for playing both Patrick Ewing and Anthony Mason outside of the three point arc. That Knick team struggled under Nelson but thrived under Van Gundy (Jeff).

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 am
O.G. broe wrote:Taft could be Nelson's version of Stoudemire [-o<

Taft was a monster defensive player at Pitt.

Does he have the offensive game to succeed in the NBA?

The short time that he was able to play before getting injured showed me a player that had the talent to succeed in the NBA.

You were in Vegas this summer. Was he playing on the Warrior summer league squad? If so, how did he look?

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 am
No Taft didint play , he was on the bench in street clothes just participating in the huddles, was said to be working extensively on core strengthining and suppose to be ready for training camp :!: I gave him a pound and told him the fans were pulling for him...
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 am
uptempo wrote:You were in Vegas this summer. Was he playing on the Warrior summer league squad? If so, how did he look?

He was injured, if I'm not wrong... Hence my previous post about his health.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:13 am
uptempo wrote:However, Nelson got his sorry ass fired from the Knicks job midway thru a season for playing both Patrick Ewing and Anthony Mason outside of the three point arc. That Knick team struggled under Nelson but thrived under Van Gundy (Jeff).

One comment about this post... that Knick's team was exactly the opposite of a Don Nelson team. He shouldn't have been picked as a coach there, because he was destined to be a failure.

Ewing, Mason, Derek Harper, Oakley, Hubert Davis, Starks... ughh. I really can't think of a worst roster to play a Don Nelson kind of basketball. To be succesful, he should have traded half the team for his kind of players... And he still managed to have a 34-25 record...
Last edited by TMC on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:However, Nelson got his sorry ass fired from the Knicks job midway thru a season for playing both Patrick Ewing and Anthony Mason outside of the three point arc. That Knick team struggled under Nelson but thrived under Van Gundy (Jeff).

One comment about this post... that Knick's team was exactly the opposite of a Don Nelson team. He shouldn't have been picked as a coach there, because he was destined to be a failure.

Ewing, Mason, Derek Harper, Oakley, Hubert Davis, Starks... ughh. I really can't think of a worst roster to play a Don Nelson kind of basketball. To be succesful, he should have traded half the team for his kind of players... And he still manage to have a 34-25 record...

Soooo true. That was the polar opposite of a run and gun Nelson team. It was a Van Gundy defend and grind half-court team when Nelson took over.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:40 pm
Taft's career is on the line! If he gets injured again, it's all over.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:59 pm
uptempo wrote:Taft was a monster defensive player at Pitt.

Does he have the offensive game to succeed in the NBA?

I don't think Taft's game is the question anymore; he proved (in limited time last year) that he can be a powerful asset if he can keep himself healthy. The question now becomes: can he keep himself healthy? And, unfortunately, already a lot of Golden State fans are jumping off Taft simply because of that question.

Personally, I don't think it's smart to write off a player after one year or so of injuries. Players have second winds in their careers all the time. I'd hate to be the team that let Taft become an outstanding backup 4 somewhere else in the league. He has the game (and tools) to be a major player on the Warriors. Let's see if he's really brittle... or if last year's back problems were an isolated thing.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:14 pm
Well if he gets injured again, it will be the second time in two years, that's enough in my opinion.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:19 pm
If he sits out 10 games, it won't break my heart. But if he misses half the season again, you're right. He's probably not gonna kick that sort of reputation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 pm
#32 wrote:outstanding backup

I don't know why, but those two words don't seem to mesh well...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Rick Mahorn. Anthony Mason. John Starks. Dell Curry. Derek Fisher (last season). Andres Nocionni. Alonzo Mourning.

That's what I mean by "outstanding backup". Someone who has the potential to start, but is confined to a backup role.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:47 pm
#32 wrote:Rick Mahorn. Anthony Mason. John Starks. Dell Curry. Derek Fisher (last season). Andres Nocionni. Alonzo Mourning.

That's what I mean by "outstanding backup". Someone who has the potential to start, but is confined to a backup role.

:dontknow: I know what you mean, but every player that can't get a starting position shouldn't be called outstanding. Decent or even good, are better adjectives, because those players can't be so outstanding if they can't beat the starters... (Mourning doesn't count, he's only a backup due to his kidneys).

Oh, well. Not that it matters, it's a silly topic.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball