Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:56 pm
Not every player can benefit from this! Baron has to play like Tim Hardaway did, taking to Nelson's style. If Baron and Nelson don't get along, the team will not be successful the slightest.
JRich will likely get better because he likes the running style.
Dunleavy may or may not get better, likely won't. Dunleavy is no Mullin in that he doesn't have the shooting like Mullin did. Nelson will not put up with any lack of effort or confidence either. Nelson goes with the players that are playing well and so dun could end up on the bench alot if he plays anything like he did last season.
Monta will likely get alot more playing time and deservedly so. Nelson will love the talent of Monta and the fact he plays defense as well as having the ability to score in a number of ways.
Murphy is a tough one to predict what will happen with. Murphy may not even be around but if he is, he has to shoot well and run well. Murphy is no great athlete, certainly not like Nowitzki, and running may not be his thing.
Foyle is certain not to play much and that is alright.
Biedrins, another one that is hard to predict. If Nelson continues his small ball approach, then all of the Centers will get less court time and that is not good because Biedrins needs to be developed not shelved. If nelson sees the athletic ability of Biedrins, as well as his great rebounding and shot blocking, Biedrins may really improve.
O'bryant will likely not get much court time but be first backup at Center off the bench for some 10-15mins a game, not too bad.
Taft , if he is healthy, will get alot of chances to play because a tall, athletic beast like him is what Nelson likes. Taft will likely get time at both PF and center and could get over 20mins a game if he performs well.
Zarko is another one that is hard to predict. Since Nelson loves the running, shooting style, Zarko may ge tmore time than last season but there are a few guys on the team that can do that, while giving better defense and rebounding, so Zarko will probably be in the same situation as last season.

The guys that concern me the most are Diogu and Pietrus. If Murphy stays and is able to shoot and run alright, Diogu may not get more court time than what he did last season. THIS IS WRONG! Diogu must be favourd at PF but Nelson doesn't really favour great post play as opposed to running and gunning. I want Diogu to get the court time but that is to be seen.
Pietrus might get alot of opportunity to thrive because he is such an athlete but he has to play some defense, as there is always a need for someone to do it and he has to shoot well.

Should be better than is right now but very interesting to see what will happen

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:35 pm
Welcome back, #32...

And now, on to the analysis. According to it, everybody except Foyle, and maybe Dunleavy will be better... I just don't see it.

I think that Murphy (who is only good for the gun part), Cabarjdsjfaljrlkapa, Dunleavy and O'Bryant won't do as well, and ultimately leave the team. Foyle, too, obviously.

And that Baron will be the most improved player due to Nellie's coaching.

One more thing, I think that if we're going to re-create the Run TMC, it will be with Monta instead of Dunleave... A Run BMJ or sorts.

And finally, I think we're in for a 40 win season, unless there are trades to improve the team... The west is loaded, and we can't expect more in a division where every other team went to the playoffs. Let's take it step by step...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 am
[quote="#32"]Players That Will Thrive Under Don Nelson:

Jason Richardson
So far, Richardson has had a near-brilliant career with subpar coaching to show him the way. This will be the first time Richardson has an actual chance to learn from one of the greats. Nelson will, no doubt, allow Richardson to continue to be the Warriors' main man... so it will be interesting to see how their relationship effects the game of Golden State's stud. If nothing changes, Golden State will still be content with the production of Richardson. But if Nelly can spark JRich, than the league better start taking notice right away.

[quote]

You obviously don't know **** about Jason Richardson career dude, He was coached by the GREAT Tom Izzo. Izzo is the biggest name in college hoops behind Coach K and John Wooden (IMO) but if your talking on a professional level, then yeah Nellie is way better then Brian Winters, Eric Musselman and Mike Montgomery put together. I do agree Jrich will have time to shine under Nellie, cause Nellie has always focused on having go2guys who score a lot of points.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:10 am
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:You obviously don't know **** about Jason Richardson career dude, He was coached by the GREAT Tom Izzo. Izzo is the biggest name in college hoops behind Coach K and John Wooden (IMO)

You're not alone. Izzo is a great coach and would be a succesful NBA coach in the right team. So far, he rejected the chance to become the Hawks coach, but he was destined to fail there. Who can blame him?. But I'm digressing, my point is that I'm sure that J-Rich has learned more from Izzo than all the coaches he has had in his NBA career so far.

I think J-Rich will play a role similar to Michael Finley in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there, probably playing many minutes at SF, unless we got someone else for that spot.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 am
I reckon Nellie will get alot out of Pietrus and envision him being the SF but only if Pietrus improves his fundamentals

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:24 am
migya wrote:I reckon Nellie will get alot out of Pietrus and envision him being the SF but only if Pietrus improves his fundamentals

I think he'll use him as a spark from the bench...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I reckon Nellie will get alot out of Pietrus and envision him being the SF but only if Pietrus improves his fundamentals

I think he'll use him as a spark from the bench...

Just hope Pietrus turns it all around because he looks bad right now

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:41 am
migya wrote:Just hope Pietrus turns it all around because he looks bad right now

This is his contract year, in case he needs that extra motivation.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 am
That should be good enough :|
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:48 am
I can't wait to see Nelly chew out Dunleavy on the sideline for not playing up to his potential. Right when Dunleavy heard the news about Nelly coming back to town he said "ahh sh-t... now I actually have to try or I'm gonna get yelled at and sit on the bench."

You all remember the way Nelly used to yell at Sarunas? That sh-t was crazy and that's what he'll do to Dunleavy, because we all know that Dunleavy has the skills and talent to be a good player. Nelly sees that and Nelly will verbally murder Dunleavy if he doesn't see him playing up to potential. Nelly's got that much respect in this game to do so.

I am not too worried about Nelly and BD not getting along. I think that BD will respect Nelly from the first day of practice until the last possible game of the season. BD never really had any great coaches in the NBA and now I know for sure BD will respect Nelly because he's a great proven coach. Any player that doesn't respect Nelly doesn't respect the game of basketball.

J-Rich will improve like he does every year (even if we still had Monty). Now that we have Nelly he'll improve even more.

Monta Ellis is going to be a f-cking stud this year! Break out player by far since Nelly took over!
Last edited by Josh Jamison on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:53 am
Josh Jamison wrote:I am not too worried about Nelly and BD not getting along.

Who said that?. Nellie is the best thing that ever happened to Baron, as far as coaches go...
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:41 am
No one. It's just a statement for discussion.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm
#32 wrote:Mike Dunleavy Jr
We know (from Mullin and Nowitski) that Nelson isn't afraid to try with unathletic, skilled players. But how will Dunleavy respond? So far, he appears to lack initiative and waits for other players to involve him. Nelson is a guy that likes the players to run themselves on the floor... so Mike Dunleavy's success will, again, be dependant on himself. Nelson's impact will be best seen in practices and advice. One thing's for sure: Don Nelson won't be afraid to try out Pietrus if Dunleavy starts off with another lackluster year. It's go-time for MDJ if he wants to remain a major player on the Warriors' roster.

That is what I am hoping for Mikes sake. He had the tools coming out of college but right now, he looks like a first rate bust. At best maybe he will come out looking like Sarunas, but at worst we can trade him or have him become a role player off the bench.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Shooting guard/small forwards have all thrived under Don Nelson (Pressey, Pierce, Bridgeman, M. Johnson, Richmond, Spree, Mullin, Finley). Šarūnas Marčiulionis also had a good career playing for Nelson. Look for Richardson and Air France to thrive under Nelson.

Centers and low block players were never Nelson's cup of tea. He had Patrick Ewing jacking up three point shots and got his tired ass fired from the Knicks because of his misuse of Ewing on the perimeter. Look for POB, Biedrens, and Foyle playing at the top of the arc and shooting threes.

Power forwards have not done well under Nelson unless they play on the perimeter like Dirk in Dallas. Terry Cummings, just because of his sheer will to dominate, was given an opportunity to establish some low block presence under Nelson. Look for Murphy to never play in the paint on offense. Hopefully Ike can get some more playing time, but will also be counted upon to play on the perimeter.

Point guards like Hardaway, Avery Johnson, Hubert Davis, and Nash all thrived under Nelson. Baron should get the green light to play a lot of two man stuff with both Richardson and Murphy. Look for the isolation play and the high pick and roll ending with the 20 foot jump shot being a big part of the Warrior offense.

Foyle loses big time with this hire, as does Biedrens. Guys who play defense will not be given much opportunity on this team.

Hopefully the team can play an uptempo game and win. It may not be too much of a stretch to see this team blow up in Nelson's face like the Knick team did.

Assistant coaches seem to thrive under Nelson (Popovich, Johnson, Karl, Shuler, Dunleavy, Harris, Lanier). Maybe Ellie will get the mentoring and be moved up to head coach within a couple of years.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:03 pm
wanted to weigh in - I was thrilled to hear about Nelson. I am not in concert with 32 as to the Murphy transformation, though i agree that the outside shooting big man is something nelson loves. Overall, it is a slam dunk great move. I think most all of the players will thrive under his leadership and also agree that he is a wonderful incubator of assistant coaches, so that is also a plus. My only concern is that I wonder how Ike will do under his system, since Ike is not of the mold of players nelson usually uses. However, on balance, a great move, and I have 1/2 a mind to check out the press conference tonight. While I am dubious that Murphy belongs in the same sentence as Dirk, and am certain that Dunleavy doesn't belong in the same sentence as Mullin, there is no doubt the team will raise it's level of play. Mark Stein is convinced they will make the playoffs this year, and, if it happens, that is blessed water after 12 years in the desert
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball