Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:04 pm
Players That Will Thrive Under Don Nelson:

Troy Murphy *****
Don Nelson is a huge fan of big men who can play the perimeter. All summer, Troy Murphy had his bags packed. After today, he might as well keep his house payments going. Murphy is incredibly similar to another player Don Nelson made into a star (perhaps you've heard of him): Dirk Nowitski. The only difference between the two (physically) is that Dirk is an inch taller and Murphy is a tad stronger.

What's truly exciting about this is that Murphy has an already-established NBA reputation for improvement. His huge rebounding numbers, outside touch, and movement without the ball were all tricks he picked up after being drafted. If Murphy can add huge points to his game like that, what's stopping him from being everything Nelly can sculpt him into? I'm not saying he'll become the next Dirk overnight... but, if Troy Murphy averages numbers closer to 17 and 10 next year (with improved percentages across the board), I wouldn't be surprised.

Baron Davis ****
Another important factor when regarding a new coach was how they'd react to Baron Davis... and vice-verca. I think it's safe to say that Baron will be extremely satisfied with Nelson's style of offense. Nelly likes to put a lot of the power in the player's hands, which Davis should love. He won't hold anybody on a choke chain (like Muss tried to)... and he won't become overbearing when things go bad (like Monty did). Nelson is a consumate professional who knows how to handle his players. With a guy like that calling the shots, Baron Davis should be less inclined to take extended vacations during the season... and more conserned with re-establishing himself as one of the league's premire point guards. And if by some chance that doesn't happen, Nelly's never been one to stall when a trade needed to happen. If Baron can't play by Nelson's rules (a slim chance), expect one of the two (most likely Baron) to be handed his walking slip.

Ike Diogu, Monta Ellis, & Patrick O'Bryant ***
Don Nelson has never been a coach that likes the youngsters to "watch and learn", like Monty's been. Nelson has always heavily involved his youngsters because he believes that playing time is the key to helping players grow. Like Scott Skiles in Chicago, I expect Nelson to rotate many players in and out of the lineup during the course of the game. Nelson is a coach who isn't going to wait to use his entire bench to contribute during a loss... he's just as content putting them in during a victory or a semi-close game. Players like Diogu, Ellis, and O'Bryant needn't wear their sideline jackets so often this season; it's very likely their numbers will be called several times during this season's games (Diogu will probably even start).

Andris Biedrins, Zarko Chaparkaba & Mickael Pietrus **
Nelson (like Mullin) has always had a soft spot for the Euro game. Two prime young studs out of the middle continent like Pietrus & Biedrins, as well as Chabarkapa and Kosta, seem like plenty to work with if you're Don Nelson. I'd expect Biedrins to play a much larger role during the year... probably as a jump-ball starter/defensive upgrade (ala Shawn Bradley a few years back on Dallas).

Players That Will Fail Under Don Nelson:

Adonal Foyle
The new push for young studs involves O'Bryant, the Euro-fetish helps Biedrins, so what's going to happen to Adonal Foyle? His minutes will be dropped to a new career low as he rides his contract out on the pine during the next few years. If O'Bryant turns into an injury-riddled player or Biedrins sits out a few games, we may have use for him. But, as of now, it's most likely that Golden State will run an offense with Murphy and Diogu at the 4 and 5, leaving players like O'Bryant and Biedrins to back them up... and no visible role for Foyle. I can see him getting 10 minutes a night... maybe less.

The Wildcards:

Jason Richardson
So far, Richardson has had a near-brilliant career with subpar coaching to show him the way. This will be the first time Richardson has an actual chance to learn from one of the greats. Nelson will, no doubt, allow Richardson to continue to be the Warriors' main man... so it will be interesting to see how their relationship effects the game of Golden State's stud. If nothing changes, Golden State will still be content with the production of Richardson. But if Nelly can spark JRich, than the league better start taking notice right away.

Mike Dunleavy Jr
We know (from Mullin and Nowitski) that Nelson isn't afraid to try with unathletic, skilled players. But how will Dunleavy respond? So far, he appears to lack initiative and waits for other players to involve him. Nelson is a guy that likes the players to run themselves on the floor... so Mike Dunleavy's success will, again, be dependant on himself. Nelson's impact will be best seen in practices and advice. One thing's for sure: Don Nelson won't be afraid to try out Pietrus if Dunleavy starts off with another lackluster year. It's go-time for MDJ if he wants to remain a major player on the Warriors' roster.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm
Good analysis... I agree!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:56 pm
Great Analysis I agree also... wonderful move by the warriors.
I give MC's the runs... drippin'...
~
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:46 pm
Good read, welcome back.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:55 pm
Nice, I like it. Especially with the Dunleavy one. Can Nelson help Mike out?
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:07 pm
Ooh yee of little faith. Chris Mullin saves the day. Mullin has the authority to bring back arguably the best coach the Warriors have ever had. Nelly is gonna shake things up and brings us back into playoff contention. For all the doubters....Don't ever, ever, question Chris
It may be premature and believe me, I am one of Chris Mullins biggest fans (both as a player and GM), but I like what Larry Riley is doing. At least so far....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:07 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Can Nelson help Mike out?

That's what Chris Mullin's hoping.

When you see the current core the Warriors are built around, it looks pretty similar to the old Run TMC core. Davis is the star (like Hardaway); a funky, quickstepping playmaker with the ability to score in bunches. Richardson's only superstar ability is scoring... but it's a strength that's probably in the Top 10 of the NBA (just like Richmond). And, lastly, the small forward position that Dunleavy fills is occupied by an unathletic, good sized, skilled, intelligent player... just like Chris Mullin in his prime. Dunleavy, however, is having a hard time shaking a few demons that he's had since entering the league. Nelson helped Mully kick his bad habbits. Perhaps Mully's hoping Nelson can do the same for the 'presure-alergic' Mike Dunleavy.

The last time the Warriors went to the playoffs, it was Run TMC being lead by Don Nelson. It looks like Chris Mullin is intent on recreating the magic (especially since Run TMC's version of play seems to be the new direction of NBA ball).
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 pm
Nice analysis #32 and welcome back!

Can't argue with much of anything you wrote.

I'm excited about this year!

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 pm
I love your optimism #32 and I hope you are right. But, you over estimate the comparisons of Murphy to Dirk. Dirk can flat out put the ball in the basket - Murph is less consistent and can't create his own shot like Dirk can.
But hey -lets see if Mullin can get the best out of these cats. We fans deserve nothing less.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:51 pm
The only difference between Murphy and Dirk are:

a) number of shots taken
b) percentages

Both can be improved with a coach like Nelson. Like I said, I don't think he'll be the superstar Dirk has become (least of all with players like Davis and Richardson around), but he has the same (if not better) physical tools and a huge reputation for being able to improve his game. 17 and 10 aren't out of reach for Troy Murphy if he's given the same pedigree that Dirk was, off the floor, by Nelson.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:54 pm
Great analysis, #32.

Prediction: JRich will have an All-Star year. Nellie will bring him to the next level and that's the All-Star level.

I believe Nellie will make every player better and that could actually produce some amazing things.

Everybody's talking about the Run T-M-C days. If that happens again, it might be BD - JRich - MD or it might be BD - Monta - JRich. Now that would be a dynamic threesome together. Put their speed together with Troy or Ike along with one of our big men underneath and it could be pretty difficult to defend.

This move opens up so many possibilities.

Kudos to Mully. You really came through.

Best wishes to Monty, a real courtside gentleman.

Welcome back, Nellie.

Are you ready for some basketball???????!!!!!!!
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:21 pm
The thing is with Dun is that if he starts sucking (which he probably will) Nelson's not afraid to yell at him and put him on the bench (where he deserves to be... most of the time).
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:30 pm
I hope Nellie can get something out of Murphy. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Mullin pulls off a trde involving Murphy (i hope he does) before the season starts. I also don't agree withthe Dirk/Murphy comparison, at least not to the extent to which it's been stated. Dirk has a much better shot than Murphy - he always has. Murphy was not as much of a shooter in college - he played in the post more, and was trying to be more of a bruiser his first couple years in the NBA. Dirk was always a sweet shooting Euro-big man. Murphy has not been able to post up as much in the NBA because he is not as strong compared to the the competition as he was in college. He's moved his game outside becuase he has definitely improved his shot (he really is a good shooting big man) but also because he has had to adapt his game due to not being a good post player. Nowitzki is a much purer scorer, and always has been, I guess is what I'm getting at. He also shoots free throws a whole lot better. They both pretty much suck on D, and Murphy gets more boards, but that's due largely to the fact that he gets a lot of garbage defensive boards, cause no one else on the Warriors (other than JRich) is even an above average rebounder for their position. I can absolutely see some comparisons between Dirk and Troy, but I think that saying they're exactly the same other than number of shots taken and 'percentages' is giving Troy WAY too much credit. If Troy could improve to that level (small chance) I would be very happy, and very surprised. Either way, I love the Nellie pick-up and think he can for sure help most of the players on the Dubs.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 pm
Like I said, Troy Murphy will most likely never be the second coming of Dirk Nowitski.

But the idea of Don Nelson transforming Murphy into something more... Dirk-like, I guess is the word, shouldn't be a huge shock if it actually happens. Remember: Nelly was (virtually) the only guy who was extremely high on Dirk at the draft... and he also helped Dirk sculpt his game on an NBA level while he struggled his first couple of years. Nelson knows what kind of player Murphy is; he's turned that sort of forward into a star recently. I don't see why Murphy can't improve his numbers to something better with Nelson around.

Without Nelson, Murphy averaged:

14 PPG, 10 RPG, 0.35 BPG, 1.4 APG, 43%FG, 79%FT, and 35% 3-pointers

With Nelson, it wouldn't be a huge shock to see Murphy average:

17 PPG, 10 RPG, 0.35 BPG, 2.5 APG, 48%FG, 85%FT, and 39% 3-pointers

That's still pretty far away from Dirk's numbers:

27 PPG, 9 RPG, 1 BPG, 2.8 APG, 48%FG, 90%FT, and 40% 3-pointers
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:46 pm
I agree Nellie can improve Murphy's game. I just think the Dirk comparison was way overstated. Just arguing semantics at this point I suppose...
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball