Baron Has A Lot To Prove

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:05 am
RealGM
Authored by Payam Jahromi - 21st August, 2006 - 6:57 pm

Before the start of last season, Baron Davis could have run for mayor in various Bay Area cities and won.

But last year didn’t go as planned for Baron and for the Warriors.

He hurt his hamstring in the season opener against the Hawks and never really got going all year. He was bothered by nagging injuries, and he was not in great shape.

There were rumors that he and coach Mike Montgomery didn’t get along.

Just like that, Davis went from being the savior to an overpaid, out-of-shape prima donna.

Meanwhile, while all this was happening, Baron watched another fellow point guard, Steve Nash, win his second of back-to-back MVP awards. He saw Chauncey Billups get MVP consideration. In his own division, he watched Sam Cassell lead a lowly Clippers franchise back to the playoffs.

He also saw his replacement on the Hornets, Chris Paul, win Rookie of the Year and get named to team U.S.A. for the World Championships. He knows Hornets’ fans are counting their blessings with the trade and the draft to get Paul.

And you just know that Davis does not like any of it. If he’s not motivated to come back better than ever this season, he’ll never be motivated.

Baron is a proud guy. He’s also very confident in his abilities. Deep down, he probably thinks he’s just as good as or better than Nash, Billups, Cassell and Paul. Yet look at where they and their teams are at compared to his situation.

Baron is a smart enough guy to know that perceptions can change in an instant. Just like how he went from God-like status to forgotten about in one season, he knows he can turn it around again.

There is no hype for the Warriors this season. No one is talking about Baron Davis like they were last summer. Nobody is talking about the Warriors like they were last summer.

Baron has now seen both sides of the coin.

I can guarantee that Baron wants to have a monster season to prove his critics wrong. I’m sure he’s looking forward to those individual matchups with guys like Nash, Cassell and Paul.

But again, Baron is no fool. He knows he can’t do any of that if he’s hurt. And he won’t stay healthy if he’s out of shape. Davis has reportedly lost a lot of weight since last year and is in great shape (but isn’t everybody this time of year?).

I hope that’s true. I believe it. Baron realizes that this is personally his most important season. He has a lot to prove to a lot of people.

I’ve never been accused of being overly optimistic, but I think Baron will have a huge year.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:20 am
Sounds a lot like last season...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:34 am
He has to get it done this season or this team is not going to be anything. His reputation is on the line

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:32 pm
the best part about that pic o.g. broe is that fat fuk in the middle holding up the w's hat. during his tenure as a w's fan, the more the w's lost, the more nacho's he ate!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 pm
:happy1:

Here it comes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:41 pm
by the way, the one thing baron has to prove to me is that either he will raise his shooting %, or he will quit shooting (bricking) 19 footers like a dumbfuk! he's a helluva lot better at passing lemme tell ya... and thats what he gets paid 15 million for. i think if he passed more than he shot, he would have eclipsed nash for most assists. imagine that..... just a dream...lets hope he can shoot 70% ft's this year. i'd give him 2 mill more a year if he could!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:03 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:by the way, the one thing baron has to prove to me is that either he will raise his shooting %, or he will quit shooting (bricking) 19 footers like a dumbfuk! he's a helluva lot better at passing lemme tell ya... and thats what he gets paid 15 million for. i think if he passed more than he shot, he would have eclipsed nash for most assists. imagine that..... just a dream...lets hope he can shoot 70% ft's this year. i'd give him 2 mill more a year if he could!

I'm with you on that one - Baron shot awful but passed well and had he passed more, the team would have won more. Baron also has to drive and create more, that'll open things up for everyone else

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:33 am
Hey Chronic that 6'1 250 lb fat fuk is me so if you don't know now you know :!: Seeing that I can't recall ever getting into it with you I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't personally attacking me but just clowning, which is cool 8)
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:59 am
migya wrote:that'll open things up for everyone else

Even to Dun-Dun? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:09 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:that'll open things up for everyone else

Even to Dun-Dun? :mrgreen:

Yes, He'll get to shoot more open shots, brick them and that will "open" the door for him to get booted out :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:03 am
migya wrote:Yes, He'll get to shoot more open shots, brick them and that will "open" the door for him to get booted out :mrgreen:

It's a way to see it... we can only wish, tho. The more shots he bricks, the more aware is the whole league that he sucks.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:44 pm
I think the cat's already out of the bag on that one...

Return to News Articles